Newbie here- lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Newbie here- lots of questions

Hi Travis,

welcome to the forum and KLX ownership. Sounds like you are used to performance bikes so I'll say this str8 up, you may be disapointed with the power when you first ride it. It is a great bike but quite docile in stock trim. The good news is it doesn't take much money or time to get it performing better.
There are lots of free mods (or low cost) to start you off, BMWHD (Todd) has written up quite a bit of detail (carbie and airbox) on this here and in other forums.
Then you can move onto cheap mods like gearing, cheapest is a 13 tooth front sprocket which may accelerate chain wear slightly, next is new rear sprocket but then you need a new chain.
Next is the $$$$ mods, like new exhaust and carbie. Most of the guys here have the Muzzy full system and there is also a Mikuni TM33 pumper carb mod that needs a little frame grinding to fit.
Hope this helps and I may have forgotten something but have a look round there is plenty of info here and other forums
Oh yeah there is also a 300 cc kit available in Australia or of course you can just buy the individual parts from your friendly Kawasaki dealer, the part numbers are in this forum

Old 04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

Like Mav said, this bike feels a bit down on power when new. Two things to look forward to: First, when it starts to break in (aroudn 500 miles) it loosens up and performs better. Second, there's a much better bike hidden inside just waiting to be set free with simple mods to the airbox, carb, and exhaust. Check out the posts at the top of this forum for lots of good info.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Some bad news. The Ninja 250 makes a lot more power than this bike. However the power is much "peakier" on the Ninja. This is mainly because the Ninja has 2 cylinders, while the KLX has a single cylinder.

Viewed within a narrow range of performance, the bike does very well. With the most common modification including differnt gearing and the Muzzy, the bike accelerates very well up to 60mph. But yes, a full on sportbike would have gotton to 100mph in the same amount of time, but it can't go 70mph down a gravel road, ride over 12" logs or fly off 10' jumps.

The bike should perform well due to your light weight. To be honest, due to your attitude with owning the Ninja 250, I fear a little for your safety. Ride safe!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Not sure what you mean by my attitude about the Ninja 250, but all I meant was it just was not fun. It ran like a moped and had no power. I bought it as a second bike to the HD, but it was so pitiful I sold it fast. Now understand I had been riding GSX-R's, Ninja ZX's, one Buell 1203cc rocket Harley, and then to get on that thing was just bad. I know this little KLX is no KX450, but I'm at least hoping I can take it off road and jump, do wheelies, and climb some hills. I know it isn't a motocross bike, but I think I can have fun on it. I will be riding it for the first time around 1700 hrs this evening. I will let you guys know how I feel about it then. Thanks for all the replies.
Travis
I think it will do all those things for you, some better than others, and some better with a few mods such as 13t front sprocket and/or 45t rear sprocket + carb jetting and airbox and exhaust upgrades. I've been riding mine for over 1000 miles using stock carb airbox and exhaust and have been very happy. I'm 5'8" and 175lb - it does fine with me, though I do plan to do the low cost carb mods (rejet) and the free tailpipe / airbox mods in the near future. I will probably install the Muzzy in the mid-term, but not right away.

BTW, another person on this forum races his on AMA motocross. See the thread by 'sdunne' - "tribute to the toughness of the KLX". Sdunne claims that, while of course it is not an MX bike, it does approach one in capability with only a few compromises of course to maintain street legality.