new truck, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new truck, need opinions

At work we got in a ford 750 rack truck with a dump body and crane. We use it to deliver 3 phase transformers and tow the backhoe out to the jobs. One day I pop the hood to check out the new motor and to my surprise it had a Cummings in it. Most of the big trucks like the bucket trucks and the old rack truck have cats in them. stellar d you maybe right. I think forddid buy Cummings. What happened to International? DidFord sell Int? Hmmm...

Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

LOL, after reading your post I agree with a lot. But here's where we differ; you've never hauled kids before in a crew-cab truck, you've never put cargo in the bed of a crew-cab truck, and you've never priced an Italian sports car because no matter how large your ego, even you couldn't afford one of them. The Grand Caravan with the stow 'n go rear seats will hold more cargo..... space-wise than any pickup with an 8' box or smaller. It won't do the weight but if you keep it within reasonable limits, there is more space in this van; as with the seats folded in the floor it's like a cargo van essentially.

but the statement that showed the most intelligence and prudence in your post had to had been "Minivans suck!" That showed that you really thought out your decision and accentuated your expertise in why the minivan market is so weak reinforcing the reasoning that virtually everyone is trading them off for crew-cab pickups which offer much more interior space, advantageous fuel efficiency, and many more doodads.

finally, reread my post....I said that it was just an ego thing if you didn't need the truck and I'm talking pretty much diesel dualies. If you drive a truck like that just to get to the office, chances are you have an ego problem.
Nope you're right, I've never hauled kids. But I've never hauled cargo in a crew cab? Cmon. I pack nearly 1000 pounds of tools and pellican cases as part of my job! Without a canopy top I suppse you could pile up a bit more **** in a van than a pickup, but I wasn't taking that into account. With a canopy top I can outpack your minivan any day, even you couldn't deny that.

Minivans do suck. Sure they're more economical, but god they are boring. How many of these people trading in their whatevers for minivans are thrilled about it? I bet not too many. You've still gotta consider some kind of fun factor in any purchase, unless you hate fun.

And your last statement, if you want to drive a dually to work downtown then thats your freedom to do so, without the bitter minivans driver saying you have an ego problem. When I move out of the field work into the downtown work environment, I plan to keep my diesel, less the canopy top. I don't have an ego, I like having a truck, they're effing handy.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

At work we got in a ford 750 rack truck with a dump body and crane. We use it to deliver 3 phase transformers and tow the backhoe out to the jobs. One day I pop the hood to check out the new motor and to my surprise it had a Cummings in it. Most of the big trucks like the bucket trucks and the old rack truck have cats in them. stellar d you may be right. I think ford did buy Cummings. What happened to International? Did Ford sell Int? Hmmm...
I thought it was very recently but I could be totally wrong. Just something I thought I heard after I made fun of a Ford

Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Just for the record, I drive my 3/4 ton 4X4 Dodge to the "office" and I don't consider myself as having an ego problem. Not everyone that drives a big truck is trying to make up for some sort of inadequacy. I bought my truck because I wanted something that would pull whatever cam my way, and because I wanted an engine that would our last the truck itself.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 AM
IG

okay, y'all are missin my point. I think that if you drive say a dually diesel or any large truckto a parking garage downtown as your daily driver that you have an ego problem. it's just my opinion. it's not fact and I cannot prove it. but I myself believe it because realistically speaking you are wasting gas/diesel, money, space,and harming the environment more so than say if you drove a car- but that is your right to do if you choose. also, trucks aren't necessarily always safer than minivans which are among the safest vehicles on the road today. and as far as fun factor goes, how much more fun can you have than to load up your daughter's JR50 in the back of the van (one side of the 60/40 seat folded in the floor)and truck everyone in the family to the racetrack? with seats that fold totally into the floor, power doors all around, DVD video, satellite TV, navigation and hard drive, backup camera, heck, even a rear table and seats that swivel 180 degrees...I think those things are pretty cool things to have consisdering you're in a minivan. No I don't have one of these new ones like a couple people stated earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't this next fall.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG

okay, y'all are missin my point. I think that if you drive say a dually diesel or any large truck to a parking garage downtown as your daily driver that you have an ego problem. it's just my opinion.
But what if you use it to haul your bike/quad out to your local riding spot after work or on weekends? Not all of us can afford to have a toy hauler truck AND an environmentally friendly downtown commuter vehicle, or the garage/driveway space.

Anyway, what I meant to mention also loudoo is if you go diesel, I'd get one that was already one or two years old already. You save a ton from buying a new one and you've got plenty of milage left for warranty (you should anyway).

Cheers.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 AM
IG

again, re-read my original post. If you USE the truck them I'm fine with it. It's people like me right now that really don't need one other than to get through the 1-2 snowstorms that I'm talking about and I traded mine off. But if you're using your 1-ton diesel or V10 to commute to the factory or office and nothing else, you're just inflating your ego and you don't own your truck, it more than likely owns you.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

On the topic of truck's about twenty year's ago i built a old farm truck, a 1939 Chev.
it was all original except a 327cin ,the running boards where about a foot off the ground and the rear fender's where chopped, about a year later i had it looking like i wonted slammed down nice and low.
well it soon became too small when my daughter was born so a sold it.
Last year about sixty miles from home my son and i where getting gas for a bike ride and guess what pulled in.
i recognised the sound before i saw it i could not believe my eye's.
i talked to the guy he was the third owner since i sold it but he still had bill's with my name on them,
he was a nice guy asked if i wonted to take her for a run for old time sake, i declined but i did take some pic's
Name:  campingfort045.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  95.0 KB
Name:  campingfort042.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  campingfort043.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  68.0 KB

Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im a GM guy all the way, so here are a couple links so you can do your own research....

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=18
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=22
http://www.gm-trucks.com/home/

Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

in reply to IG post 33, you said "do you really want two gas/diesel guzzling trucks? one of which is pretty much useless unless it's just you and a buddy?" i hear what your saying, all my ex's andnow my wife say the same thingbut i am 1 of those car ******me and my brothers,i also got a 87 mustang gt 5spd w/ ttops sitting next to a 79' corvette pace car replica...oh and a 71 jeepster commando w/ half cap...some cars you just can't let go, i love em, biggest regret i got rid of a 84-85 camaro w/ targa top like the one on simon and simon, but it needed some paint

Quick Reply: new truck, need opinions