new truck, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new truck, need opinions

i have an 04 ram 4x4 rumblebee, that i bought new, i wasn't thinking family, or hauling when i bought it, and just found out i am gonna be a dad again, so a two seater truckwont cut it. i should buy a short bus and repaint it. anyway iam lookingat diesel trucks extended cab or four door, the word i hear is the ford 7.3 is unstoppable and i kinda agree, my bro has a 91 f250 and he can haul is 31' jersey anywhere, but hes on his 2nd tranny, i dont know too much about the newer ford diesel, or the chevy duramax, i am leaning towards the dodge cummins only cause i like the roomyness of myramandcumminsis a diesel company right? i dont want this to be a pissing match with hp and torque between the loyalties of brands, i just would like to knowif you feel your truck iscomfortable, dependable, worth the money, andany dislikes

Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new truck, need opinions

Cummings Turbo Diesel!!! Everything else is just simply INFERIOR!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I had to look that up, something like this? Cool.

Name:  TruckSide.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  74.7 KB

Whatever you decide, if you plan on doing any pulling in the future, get a manual tranny. The automatic in my truck works too hard pulling anything over 10,000 lbs. I love my 1999 Cummings Turbo Diesel Ram 2500 4X4, and in fact is the last truck I plan on buying ever. I'm tired of payments. Look for a good used truck, save yourself a ton of money. Or you could just give it up and pick up one of these. Sorry I just had to.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I would look at the new duramax diesel. I hear good things about them. At work we have a new ford diesel and I cant say anything bad about it. But if I had to pick something I don't like I would say the engineis a little noisy. We also got two new duramax diesel's. I have not driven them but when they are idling in the yard, they are quiet! I am not saying that the duramax are better than the ford but they are much quieter and worth taking a good look at. Now only if Toyota made a diesel......... Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah deej thats me except black 4x4 with a yellow stripe, as you can see it not family friendly nor work, its a hey "look at me !" type truck.. and no, notta, nope, noway i will ever get a minivan! but i am sure you will find pics of a MANivan with a blower sticking out of the hood haha

Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loudoo76

yeah deej thats me except black 4x4 with a yellow stripe, as you can see it not family friendly nor work, its a hey "look at me !" type truck.. and no, notta, nope, noway i will ever get a minivan! but i am sure you will find pics of a MANivan with a blower sticking out of the hood haha
Well I couldn't find a van with a blower, but I did find this. What the freak?

Well here you go, not sure about the blower.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh man check this thing out, sorry for the thread jack, I promise this is the last one.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I would wait at least a year to buy a brand new diesel so the problems with the new EPA smog stuff get sorted out.

Stay far away from the previous generation for Ford Diesels. Cat and Ford are probably still in court fighting over all the costs to fix them. They also have NO power at idle. I'm not kidding either. That motor runs fine when it spinning the turbo's but, off idle it is very weak.

I have no personal experience with the new GM/Isuza Duramax but, I do hear good things about them.

The Dodge Cummins is a long term proven power plant.

Personally, I'm seriously think about Ford Triton V-10. Yes, you read that right. Why? How many miles a year do you drive? What is the mileage increase in the Diesel? What is the maintanence costs differences? and in my case Diesel is 30 to 40 cents a gallon more expensive.

If you plan on owning the pickup for 10 or more years and driving it for 300,000 or so miles and at least30,000 miles a year it MIGHT make financial sense to pay the premium for a Diesel powerplant. If you want it for bragging rights and the image then, the financials are not relevant.

Finally, if you don't lead foot it around and don't treat every traffic signal like the staging lights at a 1/4 mile drag strip you can get double digit milage out of a gas V-10. How much better is that Diesel? The Cummins is the most efficient but, even at 22MPG empty your break even point on the $$ for the engine is years away.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea at $3.80 a gal here for diesel, my KLX at 60 mpg is looking better and better every day. Oh and the 2 mile commute doesn't hurt either.[8D]

Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i should buy a short bus and repaint it

hahaha, I went with the repainted short bus idea. I needed something that would hold8 peopleincluding two car seats and still pull my toy trailer. So the excursion was my choice. My 7.3 and the6 have not been without issues.

Quick Reply: new truck, need opinions