New tire on order...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I'm a big fan of the TMII. I just put a fresh rear tire on my KLX. The front is only down to about half so it'll go a while longer before I change it. The first rear was done in about 1500 miles of about 70% pavement, 30% dirt, maybe closer to 65/35.

But for as cheap as they are, they do a good job. And you can't help but get better at swapping tires.

Rob
X2. They're dirt chep with great performance IMHO so no big deal for me. Will get another one when I'm ready to rock n roll again lol.m

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a K270 rear for 2 seasons, and really liked it, but when it was time to replace, I went with a TM II, based on all the positive reviews here. I hated it. The K270 worked perfect for me on the street, and got great traction in the woods. Most of my riding was on fairly fast single track. I expected the TM to be best in the woods, but I still preferred the K270 by a lot. The K270 front was a great street, and very mild off road tire, as long as it's dry. As soon as the dirt or grass gets a little wet, the K270 front will try to kill you.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
In my book: it's better to wear it out on 1000 miles of trails, than 2000 miles of street.
I'd be smiling the whole way!!!
X2. Agree 100%. Those are 100% very fun miles except the last few feet or so lol. Ouch

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I REALLY don't like how the stock D605 pushes through the turns, especially on loose gravel (like on Ant Flat Road)! I hate to spend the $ replacing a front tire that is nowhere near worn out, but I just may have to.
Yeah, going into some of those Ant Flat Road corners too hot would be a big pucker-factor on the stock front tire...especially if you were on the off-camber edge because a car was coming head on toward you!

I really wouldn't like the rear hooking up better than the front. I have friends on high-powered bikes that don't mind having great rear tire traction, as they can use their power to make the rear end break loose and slip enough to keep a good line with their front. I'm not that good, nor do I have a high-powered bike. Therefore, I prefer a better front traction tire for those difficult turns.

Even on my road bike (before I sold it), I would ALWAYS put new rubber on the front when I changed the rear, as I HATED feeling the front end sliding out when the rear was sticking in a tight corner.

Dirt or street, if I don't have exactly balanced cornering traction, I want my front tire sticking better than the rear.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Yeah, going into some of those Ant Flat Road corners too hot would be a big pucker-factor on the stock front tire...especially if you were on the off-camber edge because a car was coming head on toward you!
Sounds like experience... It's hard to change your line when you're into a corner a little too fast (and WIDE, because of it) and suddenly find there's an F350 coming at you the opposite direction. Been there, done that!

Seems "gravel road" is a broad term as well. I have seen people post pictures of "gravel roads" that are hard-packed, with only a scattering of loose stuff on top. That type of road is easy riding... But, you and I know that "Ant Flat Road" means very loose and very DEEP gravel, which only makes the problem (of slowing down, and/or turning) that much worse. I don't enjoy puckering for 14 miles every time I ride that road, so...

I ordered the matching front tire last night.

We'll see which one arrives first, since I ordered each from different places. I have the spoons ready...

Last edited by rgoers; 09-19-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Where are you guys getting your tires these days?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I got mine at a local Cycle Gear store and they matched the online prices I showed them on my phone. When buying them their you can get them installed and balanced for only $20. You just have to bring the rims/tires in yourself.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I usually try to order online from Rocky Mountain ATV whenever I can. It's a local business, and items get delivered VERY quickly. They have OUTSTANDING customer service as well. Free returns for items that don't fit (clothing, boots, etc. and THEY pay return shipping). NEVER been disappointed with them, ever! However, they didn't carry the tire I wanted, so...

I ordered the rear tire from Motorcycle Superstore, and the front from Chaparral Motorsports. Chaparral beat Motorcycle Superstore's prices significantly, but I wanted a Kenda HD tube, and they didn't carry them... so I went with MC Super for the rear. When I finally decided I needed to pry loose some extra $$$ to do the front tire too, I went with Chaparral. The front tire from Chaparral ended up being almost $7 cheaper than MC Super (after shipping charges).

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I got my last Kenda 4.6 K270 from RMATV, but they don't have any selection now. Probably buy from MCSS. Chapparal will charge me tax. Gotta compare the OTD cost.

Edit->> Chaparral wins. Better price on tires, they carry OEM parts like that damn head cover gasket, and a CO2 inflator. Free shipping, but they charge me tax. If you sign up for their newsletter you get a 10% off promo code. It didn't work on my order, so I canceled until I can give them a call.

Last edited by Lotrat; 09-20-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I have connections at Motorcycle Tire Center in Las Vegas. Whenever I find myself down there in a car, I go by and pick up a tire/tube/whatever I'm going to need next, as I get cost plus 10% on everything. Anyone can get this discount, if you are a member of the local web forum called My2wheels.com.

Quick Reply: New tire on order...