New Thread! Could it be the COIL?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Any update yet?
Have you thrown out the old coil? Have you tested it? Did the resistance check fall within specs?

Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are replacing the coil, replace the condensor also. A common elect issue is that once a item heats up, some connectivity inside the device is broken and it doesn't work until it cools off. I had it happen on my suzuki, I think it had points though.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Any update yet?
Have you thrown out the old coil? Have you tested it? Did the resistance check fall within specs?
I was planning to have a jet kit installed by a friend. Since he was going to be ripping it apart anyway, I gave him the coil and new plug cap. I knew I should have taken the 10 minutes to just try it, but I was at the end of my rope and he was going to have it anyway. He finally got around to putting the coil and cap on. He rode it 5 miles or so. Said it ran so good, he refused to tamper with carb. I rode it about 3 or 4 miles when I got it home, and it ran great. I think it is cured, but won't know 100% until I can get it out for a longer ride. Meanwhile, I put the aftermarket short stalks on the front, mirrors, and levers. If it continues to run the way it did when I took it out really quick the other night, this thing is literally DONE, with one exception. It is sketchy AF on the street at speed above 50mph. I posted about an affordable steering damper / stabilizer to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that it is the tires, not the lack of a stabilizer. The previous owner put straight up MX tires on it. I am going to order some Shinko 50/50 tires for it. Either the 700's or the 244's. Most likely the 244's. The tread pattern looks like crap but they are really affordable, get great reviews and will most likely be best suited for the riding I am going to do. Just gotta figure out if I am going to have a private mechanic do the install or pay a shop double so they can balance them. Any suggestions on the need for balancing them will be helpful. Bike is only a 250 with slip on and filter. Probably Shinko 244's going on it. Top speed maybe 70mph. Do they need to be balanced?

Old 03-05-2020, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

If/when you install a properly done-up Lidless CVK setup, your bike will easily cruise at speeds where balanced tires are mandatory..
But, for now, remember that you can always get them balanced later if need be..

Old 03-05-2020, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fitpays
I was planning to have a jet kit installed by a friend. Since he was going to be ripping it apart anyway, I gave him the coil and new plug cap. I knew I should have taken the 10 minutes to just try it, but I was at the end of my rope and he was going to have it anyway. He finally got around to putting the coil and cap on. He rode it 5 miles or so. Said it ran so good, he refused to tamper with carb. I rode it about 3 or 4 miles when I got it home, and it ran great. I think it is cured, but won't know 100% until I can get it out for a longer ride.
Cool. Let us know how she does on a longer ride. Crossing my fingers for you.

Did you get to test the old coil to see if it is within manufacturer's specs? Does your buddy still have it? That'd tell you something. If you need instructions on how to test it, I can be of assistance.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Cool. Let us know how she does on a longer ride. Crossing my fingers for you.

Did you get to test the old coil to see if it is within manufacturer's specs? Does your buddy still have it? That'd tell you something. If you need instructions on how to test it, I can be of assistance.
So far just a couple quick like 4 mile rides on the road, but seems to be a million bucks. I am pretty sure I tossed the old coil in the trash. Thanks for the replies! Keeping those fingers crossed!