New Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Tail Light

I just wanted to show everone my new tail light kit that I bought from Acerbis. I got the idea from sdunne. I also FINIALLY put on my new chain and rear sprocket. sdunne was kind enough to give me his left over 13t front sprocket. Thanks bud! I also put on the skid plate that I bought from Kawi. I really like the look of the bike now. One more thing I orderd yesturday and that is the slip-on pipe from Muzzy. Yeah I know im a cheap A** but I really don't want to do the re-jetting of the carb and shell out the cost of the full system. Call me what you will... I will take some pictures once I get install it.
Actually there is one more thing that I want and that is a new tank but im not sure if my skills are as good as Tony's, so I will have to pray that Kawi comes out with something that just fits on with no modification and gives me more go go juice. Every one be safe out there....

Old 03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Tail Light

tail light

Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats better...

[IMG]local://upfiles/998/ECC3DE9F7C9448DA818AE72B9D1F85C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

skid plate

[IMG]local://upfiles/998/55A9A873ABC4442C8FE98A079C6E1644.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the first two pictures, I forgot to click the embed picture button...

Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

GT, how do you like the lower gears?

Old 03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a wheele guy, however i'm not that good at it YET!! So to be able to bring up the wheel in second gear now with alot less thorttle is a great plus. At high speed when going up the hills and still being able to acclerate in 6th gear is awsome. Everone is right this should have been the gearing out of the box.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gravy Train

tail light
Hey Gravy Train, I really like the new license plate position. I think that is one mod that is definitely on my list to do after seeing your work. That looks a whole lot cleaner than stock. Did you have to move the tail light up a little or is it still in its stock position?

I finally got my replacement handguards (MSR Hawkins). I like 'em a lot, but I need a new bar since I don't want to have to grind and bash out the plugs that are welded into the ends of the stock bar. My upgrade is a Renthal, ordered last night. Hopefully that will arrive next week. Also, I'm finally ordering the 13 tooth front sprocket. I actually ordered one from the place that sent the handguards, but they sent the dreaded JTF565 instead of the JTF516. At least the front sprocket is not too expensive.

I'd love to do the Muzzy pipe upgrade. I'm sure that I'd love the sound, but I'm concerned about the decibels. Where I'm at here in NC, there's not much public land for riding. There are, however, lots of good private back roads that lead into good riding areas. Unfortunately, most are gated with No Trespassing and I typically have to sneak down past farm houses to get to them. With the stock pipe, I can do that pretty stealthily. From the sounds of it, no pun intended, I doubt one can be very stealthy with the Muzzy. Maybe one weekend I can hook up with you and Sdunne down around Fayetteville and do a sound check. Once I hear it, I may decide otherwise, but I don't want to risk the non-trivial expense when I don't know for sure. I'm a few hours north of you guys in Apex, around the Jordan Lake area.

I've got about 800 miles on mine and I'm overdue on my first valve clearence check. I recently bought a service manual for a klx250r that I'm using as a reference to do that work which just arrived yesterday. It doesn't look too bad to check the clearences.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

For the position of the tail light. I had to drill small holes right behind the rear holes that the rack goes into. If not you run into the metal frame that is around the rear fender. Unless you do what sdunne did. He cut off the frame from the helmet lock back. I kinda like the frame and the rear rack cause if i topple over it gives me something to grab onto for lifting. The light and plate comes pretty big. What sdunne and I did was cut it down to fit the plate. I also went a little more and trimmed the plate itself down so I don’t have allot of overhang on the sides. The rear rack touches the light and I was a bit concerned about it breaking if I hit a bump to hard so I got some small round rubber pieces and I put them between the light and the rear rack for added cushion. They are not seen in this picture I added them after I took it. However, they are still hard to see. They hide very well.
About the Muzzy pipe, I really like the sound of sdunne's bike with the full system but it is a bit loud for me. that is another reason why I’m only going with the slip-on version and the quite core. Hopefully it will reduce the sound a bit. You will not be able to sneak around with these pipes on, that’s for sure.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

GT very nice. And I see you have had the bike for 3 years already...LOL camera date. But seriously I really like the new look of the tail light, the turn signals, and the folding mirrors. Hmmmmm maybe I'm not done with mods yet. Are the turn signals DOT approved?

Quick Reply: New Tail Light