New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

ORIGINAL: tefer

Chris,
Thanks for the kind words, We all are part of a new way of doing business I think.
Ya, I would like to have my bike this weekend(Idaho is great riding) but if the design needs working(with imput from Us) we all have a better product in the long run.
People happy= USC gets more business and maybe a better design than another plate maker.
I 'm going now(no pics) so it will be like Christmas early Monday.You guys will see it and have your comments to make so I hope USC does make us a good one
Its worth the wait to me
Dave
Definietly a new way of doing business ... a "Win-Win" for businesses and consumers!

Thanks again for your "contribution" to the process - its greatly appreciated by your fellow "forumites"!!!

Have a great weekend, and hopefully you'll have a great skid plate to look forward to when you get back!

Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM

All,

Here are the pics along with Mike's email. Personally, I am seeing a homerun here. I hope we all agree.

As you can see, he wants feedback. I don't mean to be a bottleneck, but I haven't gotten his permission to give out his email (and I doubt he wants to get email from everybody and their brother anyway). If it is okay, I will just summarize any feedback and get it to him.

Here is his email wording:

+++++++
Hi Chris, sorry for the delay. I've attached some photos of my prototype. Dave is planning on picking up his bike on Monday so any suggestions that you or anyone else may have can be implemented until then. The one thing that i wanted to get your opinion on is whether or not to include extra holes for drainage anywhere on the plate. Also keep in mind that the finished product will be clear anodized. Thanks.

-Mike
+++++++

I am thinking there will be a bit of a mixed bag for folks on the holes vs. no holes thing, so make sure and let your voice be heard.

And the pics:
Name:  klx250-6.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  klx250-5.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  klx250-4.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  klx250-3.jpg
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  klx250-2.jpg
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  KLX250-1.jpg
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That thing looks pretty good!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Overall, it looks pretty dang good.

I would like to see - (refer to photos #2 and #5) on the right side of the bike the frame itself covered like the left side of the bike.

If they leave about 3/4 of an inch more of material on the plate, that would make it about perfect.

This is my opinion and only my opinion. I'm glad that they have chosen not to put a bunchof holes in the plate. A hole saw will let you tailor the plate to your own likes / dislikes.

So, what's the price? When can we order?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok I've been quiet long enough............I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!! Where do I sign up?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 PM

Drain holes = good

Any word on what the price will be?

Again, thanks to tefer and cwgoff for all your efforts on this.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

At first it looked like their original flat plate design with "wings" added on ... but the design kind of grows on ya.

I was hoping for more of a wrap-around style that wouldn't look like it's ears were sticking out. The two tubes welded on to the frame kind of make that hard to deal with. Here's a picture that I got somewhere, where 2 notches on the "wings" allow the plate to wrap around a little better ... the rest of the plate stays pretty much flat with simple bends. The lines / curves seem to "flow" a bit smoother, too. (This was a custom job, so I don't think there's any copyright issues in using some of its design elements.)

Anyway, that's just my two cents!

Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM

Deej,

If you want to be included on the list to receive the group buy discount code, shoot me a PM with your email address. You will order the plate yourself once they officially release it. You will just enter the code at checkout to receive your discount.

Chris
ORIGINAL: deej

Ok I've been quiet long enough............I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!! Where do I sign up?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: STrack

Any word on what the price will be?
STrack, no final word yet - just the original estimate of the low- to mid-70s. This plate looks a lot like several of their other plates, so I am guessing that it falls within their manufacturing capabilities and, therefore, their normal pricing structure.

The plate that YYY.guy posted looks a lot like their plate for the KLR650. It seems more angular than many of their other plates, so I don't know if they are going away from that design or what.

Anyway, as expected, it looks like a mixed bag so far on the drain holes vs. no drain holes. I for one prefer a smooth plate just because there are less edges for stuff to catch on. I have already seen that grass & brush will find any little nook & cranny (why are these always listed together ) to get stuck in.

I will send a link to this thread to Mike so that he can see all of this feedback for himself with no filtering on my part.

Chris

Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on this style.. has alot more character but id imagine would up the cost as the design would obviously be more involved......

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle