New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

I had somebody ask a good question about this group buy thing in their email to me. I hope you don't mind, but I will answer it hear because I am sure that others have the same question and just haven't asked it yet.

The question was "do we get to see the final design before sending in the money". The answer to that is "absolutely". I have not discussed this with USC specifically, but my understanding is that it will work like this:

1. USC will complete the design and make the prototype for tefer (you sorry dog )
2. They will then add the plate to their online offering (with at least one pic, I am assuming)
3. Mike or someone else at USC will email the discount code to those on the list
4. Each of us will buy our plate directly from USC with the code.

I will shoot an email to Mike today requesting some advance pics to post here as well. This can only be a good thing for USC, so I am sure that he will help out with that. I will also pass on to him the importance of the cutouts in the CRD design. I don't think I realized until reviewing these posts how important that particular feature is to many folks.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

I will shoot an email to Mike today requesting some advance pics to post here as well. This can only be a good thing for USC, so I am sure that he will help out with that. I will also pass on to him the importance of the cutouts in the CRD design. I don't think I realized until reviewing these posts how important that particular feature is to many folks.
As long as the cutouts don't add significantly to the overall cost of the plate. The cutouts would be nice, but not if it ends up doubling the price. I don't know if the cutouts are costly to put into the MFG process, but that might be why that CRD design was so expensive relative to the other plates available.

Did you get my PM that I wanted one of these? Thanks for doing all the work on this!

Duane

Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM

Duane,

I got your PM and your screenname is now on the "official" list on the 1st page of this thread.

I am with you on the cutouts. I think they look cool and will definitely add to the "cleanability", but I am not willing to pay a huge amount extra. If that turns out to be the case.

My guess is that USC will probably shoot for the price point and do the cutouts if they can do it and still stay within that price range. I don't think they have any plates that exceed $80-something, so they have obviously determined that this is the price that the market will bear for their product offering.

I was looking through several of their different plates this morning. Most do not have much in the way of cutouts. The plate that they have for the KLR650, though, has several nice round holes in it. I would imagine that they could throw some round holes in there by drilling without too much trouble. The differenct shaped holes would get a little pricey unless they are doing the whole thing with CNC equipment, which they probably are now that I think of it.

Anyway, I think they now have a clear idea of what their target market wants in a plate. We should see in a few days what direction they will take.

Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I will shoot an email to Mike today requesting some advance pics to post here as well.

Chris
Even scans of a hand drawn sketch would be a helpful preview to see where things are headed, rather than waiting for pics of cut metal.

We should keep in mind that they are in the skid plate business, and know what their capabilities are, and the cost to make what they can make. As long as they know the CRD style is our Holy Grail, and what it is that we like about it, I'm sure they'll do the best they can. Let's not end up with something that was "designed by committee" that they can't produce and we can't afford!!!

So, is it done yet?!??

Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

BMWHD our illustrious leader [sm=hail.gif] will want one I reckon, he asked me to get a CRD off ebay when I got mine but I missed the end of the auction [:@]

Cheers
YES!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:47 PM

>>>> LIST OF CONFIRMED BUYERS MOVED TO END OF THREAD AGAIN <<<<

Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Good news everyone! I just got the following email from Mike at Utah Sport Cycle.

++++++++++
Hi Chris, I definatley appreciate any feed back or suggestions you can give me on the design of the plate. The design i'm working with right now will look somewhat different from the CRD plate but will still incorporate everything you guys like about its design. I should have a rough prototype done by this afternoon after which i will send you photos for review. Thanks again for all your help.

-Mike
++++++++++

It looks like these guys are taking our input (and buying power) seriously. I think it is really awesome that they are letting our input influence the design of the part for our bike.

If I get pics from Mike this evening, I will post them tonight. Stay tuned.

Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 PM

Good news everyone! I just got the following email from Mike at Utah Sport Cycle.

++++++++++
Hi Chris, I definatley appreciate any feed back or suggestions you can give me on the design of the plate. The design i'm working with right now will look somewhat different from the CRD plate but will still incorporate everything you guys like about its design. I should have a rough prototype done by this afternoon after which i will send you photos for review. Thanks again for all your help.

-Mike
++++++++++

It looks like these guys are taking our input (and buying power) seriously. I think it is really awesome that they are letting our input influence the design of the part for our bike.

If I get pics from Mike this evening, I will post them tonight. Stay tuned.

Chris

+1
Mike called me just about a half hour ago they have a proto made and asked if I wouldn't mind letting them keep my bike so they could take pictures and get feedback so they tweak the design if need be. This is way cool! Sounds like they want to get it right the first time. No Problem, keep it is what I said.
I was going to take it to Idaho tomorrow but I'll let them keep it over the weekend and pick it up Monday.

YES Chris I AM a Very Lucky Dog
Dave

Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tefer

YES Chris I AM a Very Lucky Dog
Dave
Read it again, tefer. I didn't say "lucky dog", I called you a "sorry dog". [&:]

Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 PM

I stand corrected

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle