New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Count me in on a group buy. I am looking for one as well. I may have to bite the bullet and just order what is out there though. I don't want to log too many miles offroad without one.
Julia

Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm in if it's like the CRD that Mav has. I have the MSR which is flat no wrap around. There's no reason for me to change unless I can get one that also protects the water pump / hoses also.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM

I'll throw in on a group buy!

Just let me know how much and where to send the $$$$$!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM

Marty,

I will contact USC today and see how many folks we will need to get a price break and how they want to handle the group buy. I hope that they will just give us a code or something to indicate that the order is from this forum. That way everyone can just order their own directly from them. If they require that the $ be consolidated or whatever, then I will do it. Obviously I would prefer to avoid that unless we have to do it because things always get goofy when you handle other people's money.

Either way I will see how they want to handle it.

Stay tuned.

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
rc

Count me in on a skid plate group buy.

OT -- I've been in touch with Ed Iwanicki from Dirt-Bagz and they are planning to have brackets for our bike this winter. I'm currently using a Cortech saddle bag but would like a little more storage for commuting.

Hope this is a sign of things to come regarding third party support.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Default GROUP BUY - New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

All,

I just got off of the phone with Mike Gibbs at Utah Sport Cycle. He is the guy at USC that will be designing the skid plate for our bike [thanks to tefer (Dave T) for donating his bike for the design work]. Mike confirmed that Dave dropped his bike of today, so the plates should be ready in about a week.

I was able to express our enthusiasm at having a USC plate designed for our bike. I also got a plug in for the CRD wrap-around design that we all like. He assured me that the design would be a wrap-around design, and he was interested in any information that I could supply for the CRD unit. I sent him the link to the thread where MavAus posted the pics of the CRD plate that the has on his bike. I told Mike that most folks here consider the CRD as the plate of choice except for price and availability. I told him that all plates are judged against the CRD as the ideal, and that his plate would be similarly judged.

With all of that said, I also asked about the group buy opportunity. He was very receptive to that. He says that USC understands the value of these forums to get the word out about their products. He says that they could easily give us a 15% group buy discount if we can get as few as 10 people commited to buy the new plate. He also said that they would handle it as a discount code emailed to the people on this forum that want to receive it. He assured me that USC would use the email address to send the code and then trash the email address.

So here's the deal. If you are interested in being on the group buy list, please send me a PM with your email address. I will consolidate the addresses into a single email to Mike, and he will send the discount code to you. I don't know his expectations about passing the code along to others. When I email him the list, I will ask him to include guidance about that in his email to you. Also, rest assured that I won't do anything with the email address other than passing them to Mike.

I hope this is agreeable to everyone. If someone knows of a better way to handle getting the code distributed, please suggest it.

Thanks again to tefer for getting this started with USC.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GROUP BUY - New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Thanks for the update. Hats off to tefer for getting the ball rolling on this one and thanks to you cwgoff for the follow-up. I had been searching the net for a few weeks trying to locate the CRD style plate and have since ordered and received the KLX300 flat w/ protective wings for the side cases. It is still in the package and fully returnable. I concur with Marty... count me in if the new plate resembles the CRD wraparound style for around $75.00. Oh yeah, how do I PM. Seriously!

Not the most computer literate... Matt

Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

And please push for bolt on mounts and not the clamp on mounted version.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mmatz

Oh yeah, how do I PM. Seriously!

Matt,

Not a problem.

If you look at the left side of the posts, you will see cwgoff's name. Just put your cursor on it and press the left mouse button.

It will bring you to Chris's personal information. Find his e-mail, once again, position the cursor on it and left mouse button. You can handle it from there.

Let me know if you need more tutorial.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mmatz

Thanks for the update. Hats off to tefer for getting the ball rolling on this one and thanks to you cwgoff for the follow-up. I had been searching the net for a few weeks trying to locate the CRD style plate and have since ordered and received the KLX300 flat w/ protective wings for the side cases. It is still in the package and fully returnable. I concur with Marty... count me in if the new plate resembles the CRD wraparound style for around $75.00. Oh yeah, how do I PM. Seriously!

mmatz's post reminded me of a detail that I omitted in my summary. Mike indicated that the price point for the plate would be in the neighborhood of $71 to $76 depending on how complicated the fabrication ends up. He did not guarantee this or anything, since he has not designed the thing yet, but he was nice enough to give a prediction.

As for the PM thing, I think there are two options, both available from the profile as directed by Marty. You can either send an email directly or you can send a PM (private message) from within the forum system. Either one will work, but if you can keep it within the forum system it would help me to organize things better. With that said, though, I don't expect to have hundreds of names to keep straight, so whatever way is better for you will work.

I am in the same boat as you, mmatz. I had ordered a ThumperTalk plate just the day. I called today to cancel it and was told it shipped Friday. I am going to have to pay return shipping on it, but if the USC plate is half of what I expect it will be, I will gladly do it.

Chris

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle