Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

ORIGINAL: tefer

I think I 've figured it out maybe?

I'm Slow
Dave
Man the more I see that skid plate the more I like it, and the wrap around is perfect. Did you get your for free for being a test subject? If not I bet we all could add $3.00 each to our cost to buy you one.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 AM

Ya,
I did get it for free
Thanks for the offer

Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM

All,

I know we are all anxious to order our USC skid plates. I am not sure exactly where things stand at USC, so I pinged Mike with an email just now. I am sure he has his hands full, but I wanted to see where things stand so that we can get rolling with our orders.

I will post his reply once I get it.

Chris

Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Tefer:

Do you hear any more engine noise than you did before the plate. I have heard that a skid plate deflects some lower engine noise back up to the rider. Any rattles, does it feel like its attached well? Sorry for all the questions. I cant wait to get mine. Thanks for getting this whole thing started........cudos to Chris and Mike (USC) also.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't wait! Must have! Need now! Please!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 PM

I'm waiting for the skidplate so I can safely move my KLX! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

No, just teasing!

On the noise front, I put a skidplate on my KLR. It makes it easier to hear anything going on in the engine.

Like anything new, you will get used to it.

You can coat the inside of the skidplate with a rubber coating if you are scared of the noise.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 PM

Speaking of rubber coating, that is reminds me of a mod that I am thinking about doing to my skidplate once I get it. Like several folks, I am probably going to go for the "more coverage" option. My concern with it is that if the right side is hitting on that weld, then the plate will sit just a little crooked. To compensate for that, I am thinking about putting thin rubber strips of some sort along the frame where it contacts the plate. That should smooth out any irregularities along the weld and allow the plate to site level. I guess the rubber on the right side will be slightly more compressed, but I am sure it will not be enough to matter. More than anything I just want to avoid the stress concentrations that will occur with the plate touching on the irregular weld surface.

As with most things, I am probably overthinking this, but I don't see how it can hurt anything.

Chris

Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Chris,

Stop thinking and get our skidplates!

[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

Tefer:

Do you hear any more engine noise than you did before the plate. I have heard that a skid plate deflects some lower engine noise back up to the rider. Any rattles, does it feel like its attached well? Sorry for all the questions. I cant wait to get mine. Thanks for getting this whole thing started........cudos to Chris and Mike (USC) also.
Ginsu4u,
Now that you said that,there was something different in the sound I couldn't put my finger on.While riding it does seem a bit louder, nothing real different and there is no rattle from the plate.The plate is attached very well.The design seems solid.
Questions are good. Yours answered mine.
I believe you will be pleased!
Dave
P. S. I changed the image sizes on the pictures in the previous posts above, just reload the page and they will get bigger

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle