Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Yea no pressure (cough, cough) ASAP

Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM

I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be ready to ship by the end of the week. I'll post it on our website (www.utahsportcycle.com) by tomarrow. Once you recieve the e-mail from me with the discount code go to the website and place the item (p/n 266) in the shopping cart, on the page following you will be able to plug in the code to recieve the discount. Feel free to give me some more feedback on the product one you've actually used it. Thanks again for working with me on this.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Great job, Mike (G.)!

I hope this has been as rewarding for you (and Utah Sport Cycle) as it is for us!

Thanks again for everything!

Mike (S.)

Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice job everybody. Special thanks go out to tefer for loaning his bike this last week so this whole thing could happen. And to cwgoff along with Mike at Utah Sport Cycles for working together so we could all put in our 2 cents worth (and getting the group discount; gotta love it)!
Now let's see... anyone live close to Clark Manufacturing in Oregon? A bike specific 3 - 3.5 gallon would be nice, especially if the stock shrouds and petcock could be used. Just a thought. Oh, by the way thier email is sales@clarkemfg.com

Matt

Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 AM

All,

I have compiled the most up-to-date list of emails received. The count stands at 21 plates (20 names with neilaction planning on getting 2). Not too shabby.

I am shooting the list to Mike tomorrow. I will ask him in the email how he wants to handle anyone that provides their info after the list goes in. I don't know whether he wants to keep the update restricted to the initial "commited buyers' names or if he would like us to share the code with others to encourage additional sales. Anyway, I am really psyched about the level of participation that we got, both in the activity on this thread with feedback as well as the size of the commited buyers list. Assuming that Mike goes with the estimate of $76 per plate, our group buy w/ 15% discount, represents gross sales of 21*76=$1596 not including any incremental revenue from S&H. No, we're not going to change the world, but we got a chance to contribute in a neat design process.

Here is the final list of screen names who's emails I will be submitting.

cwgoff
jsac
Nobrakes
Thunderchild
Dirtsurfer
FingerMullet
YYY.guy
Marty
duvallgold
Ginsu4u
bmwhd
mustang
STrack
queenpdog
mmatz
deej
neilaction x2
dazjr
warski
rc

Old 10-31-2006, 03:03 PM

FYI, I just sent the list of email addresses to Mike at USC. I would imagine that Mike will have your code to you this week. If anyone on the list has not received their code by week's end, please let me know and I will follow up with Mike.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM

Tefer,

Thank you so much for lending your bike to the fine folks at Utah Sports Cycle so they can build a custom skidplate for the KLX250S. That was a truly unselfish act on your part. You got the ball rolling and there are at least 20 of us that owe you a debt of gratitude!

Chris,

You too need a special thanks. I know how frustating it can be to get a group of people all headed in the same direction. Great job!

Utahsportcycle, aka Mike,

We all would like to thank you for not only coming up with an excellent product, but also offering us a chance to participate in the design of the KLX250S skidplate you are developing. Plus working in the corporate world for 35 years, I do understand the value of pre-production sales. Kind of keeps the managers and bean counters happy! Then you also offer us a choice to order either the standare of the more coverage skidplate. I'm sorry, but it don't get much better than that. Once I receive my "code" I'll be calling and ordering my skidplate.

To all the folks that are ordering one of these products,

I must say this exercise is something that makes me proud to be a part of this forum. This is an example of a group of folks that understand a need, work together as a common body to come up with a viable solution and then bring it home! I envisioned a bit of problem finding a common design, but everyone got together and it has come about quite quickly! Fantastic job!

Now, we can go riding in rocky areas. I need to order up some rocks to put in our sand! [8D]

New parts for the KLX! YeeHaw!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So there will be two different codes depending on whether or not you want the wrap around style right?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: utahsportcycle

Hi guys, thanks for your patience. Here's some photos of my new prototype. From the photos its a kind of hard to tell the difference, but i was able to reduce the gap between the ears and the bike to about 3/8" which is usually what we shoot for. I also widened the plate to give better coverage to the water pump. I did play around with the cutout ear design as shown in the posted picture but there was just no way to use this design and keep the plate from possibly interfering with braking. I understand why you guys like this design and i realise that it would be very unlikely that it would cause a problem, but when designing a plate for production we have to cover all bases especially when it could result in legal liability. As far as the exposed frame that cause some concern to some of you i can offer an you an option. For future prodution we will use the design as seen below for the reasons listed in my previous post, but for those of you on this forum who wish to completely protect the frame i can make a small easy modification to the program to bring the plate over the welds. It will leave a slight gap between the plate and frame but should still mount solidly. Just shoot me an e-mail (michaelgibbs@utahsportcycle.com) when you order the plate and let me know if you would like this modification. Also from reading your opinions on drainage holes it seems like the best way to go is to only include the hole allowing oil drain access and you can add any other holes you wish on your own. I still have the bike until the end of the day so if anyone can think of anything else let me know. Thanks again for all your help.

deej,

I know there was a lot of info floating around on here, but this is the way to order the "more coverage" version of the skidplate!

I do believe I will be ordering that version myself.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea this is great! I purchased my KLX 8/25/06 and have been looking for a skid plate with adequate coverage since then. As soon as we leave one of the fire roads and venture onto single track or ATV trails things get very rocky. Fall is gone and snow capped peaks in the distance but I hope to get the extra protection of this great looking skid plate installed in time to hit some of those trails full bore before the snow flies down here. Marty, if you or any of the other members ever plan a trip to the Rockies I would be glad to show you around our national forest areas here in southern Colorado. Great riding; just not a lot of gas stops. Bigger tank in the works for mods this winter.

Matt

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle