New rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New rear end

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

Nobrakes looks good. I think once it's all back together it will look great! Not to get off topic, But what tire are you running on the rear? I like the looks of it.[sm=smiley20.gif]
That's the Kenda K760 aka Track Master II.

Thanks for the comments - I'll still have to see where everything falls when it is all back together. Might be that the right blinker is too close to the exhaust end - it's hard to tell without the pipe on there. If they don't work out where they are, I'll figure something else out. I'll put the old fender back on, though, before I let it hold me up in testing out my 331cc kit but that won't be here until next week so I'm just kind've experimenting a little. But I definitely like the looks of this better than the angled stock fender - which I've never quite cared for.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

it just looks like if you lay it down thats whats gonna hit on the back.... could be wrong, cause my kickstand sank into the grass one day and it fell and bent the one stock turn signal... just dont lay it down looks good though... you sure got some fabricating skills !
ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Thanks for the feedback. I've sealed the connections with silicone sealant so dousing shouldn't hurt anything. Do you think the turn signals are more exposed than the stock ones? I'll see how it works out - I didn't cut or otherwise modify anything that would preclude going back to the stock parts, but I doubt I will go back. If anything, I'll tweak this setup to overcome any unforeseen limitations.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
it just looks like if you lay it down thats whats gonna hit on the back.... could be wrong, cause my kickstand sank into the grass one day and it fell and bent the one stock turn signal... just dont lay it down looks good though... you sure got some fabricating skills !
I've sure dinged up my stock blinkers in their original position plenty of times. I think these might be slightly less exposed, but only because they don't stick out quite as far, but you are right, like the stock blinkers they are exposed in a crash. I've thought about those flush mount blinkers but I haven't quite warmed up to them enough to put them on.

BTW, this is the MX style fender for our sister bike, the KLX300, and except for the 250 subrame angling down a little as Iowaguy pointed out, it is a good fit from there on back. Some folks have cut off the sub-frame but I don't plan on going that far. I do, however, plan to dremel off the helmet lock - I don't think I've ever used it even once.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

FYI, the helmet lock is only screwed on, or did you mean the tab that it bolts to?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually I never looked that close - I only glanced and thought it was welded on. I guess I'll just unscrew it - doesn't sound nearly as dramatic as hacksawing, though.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i took my helmet lock off... but the tab is still there, i used mine a few times... but after it got caked with mud it stopped working, wonder y.... lol.... so i just took it off...

Old 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

With this layout, I think I can add an LED license plate light directly inside the tail light aiming out the bottom to illuminate the light.
Brian, I know with all of your electrical and circuitry background, you don't need a chump like me recommending electrical parts & sources for them to you, but in case you don't know about these folks and for other readers, this might be of interest.

After looking at some of the rear end mods being discussed lately, I decided to start getting materials to do my own. I found this website that has about anything I could think of for license plate light options.

www.superbrightleds.com

I ordered this little setup that I will use to light up my license plate.

I am thinking about figuring out how to use something like this one to make my own poor man's version of the Brake! LED tail light.
Name:  LEDmatrix.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  5.5 KB

While we are on that topic, does anyone know if something like this can just plug in to replace existing bulbs? I imagine it would be pretty obvious if I just looked at the plug, but I just haven't had a chance to pull the cover off and look.
Name:  LEDplugin.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  3.6 KB

Old 10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow,that looks pretty sweet Brian,I like it [8D]

Old 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I really like it, however I think I'm going to have to go back to the stock fender in the short term at least. I did a test fit of the silencer and it appears the end cap sits just below the right blinker and I'm thinking it will probably get too hot and perhaps melt it. I have some other ideas on the tail light and blinker arrangement, but it will take some time to sort out. And with my bike hopefully going to be running again for the first time in several weeks and me finally able to ride for the first time in a month and a half, I can live with the stock fender for a little while longer.

But the above photos give the idea of where I'm headed.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just take the stock blinkers off and mount some flush ones up.

Quick Reply: New rear end