A new post "how to /s p i c e/ your klx up"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dacoontz
How much and where do I get one? Thanks.
Look here
http://japan.webike.net/categories/1...&keyword=cover

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Well - living in Denmark makes me a european - and that means FI on my '09 KLX ;o)
My 5th bike - and the first one that has NO flat spots !
I love FI - just having made the derestriction-trick after some 3.300 km's I must say that it now runs as it should from the factory ;o)
I'm not gonna screw around with another pipe - the stock (w/cat) performs quite OK. Making the bike louder would ruin the "stealth" of the bike - thus disabling me from sneaking around in places, where I'm not really allowed to drive !

But mods, You wrote; well - I thought I needed a windshield. Could'nt find any, so I made one. Have a few pics of the "fabrication" if anyone is interested.
Can't stand riding with a back-pack, so I needed to mount a top-box.
That takes a rack - or does it ? After some speculation and picking the rear of the bike apart I could see that all it takes is drilling 2 holes in the rear fender to make 4 anchor-points for mounting the base-plate on risers (made from alloy tubing) and some stainless bolts nuts. Got pics of that project, too.
Having bought o whole meter of that alloy tube made med wonder what to use the rest for - and beeing pretty annoyed with the RAM-mount for my Garmin I dreamt up something to use the tube for; a high-mount for the Garmin.
By now the mount is made from 2 tubes, but it needs a 3rd tube for stability.
The 3rd has to go forward to be practical, as I have a 1½" riser-kit on the handelbar. And with the 2 tubes it's allready a task to get the ignintion key in the ignition - I don't need the 3rd pipe in that area too ;o)
But the 3rd pipe is not gonna be done today; we have rain and sleuth here right now, so taking the bike more or less apart on the street (have no garage) is no picknick. Besides I have to doo some shopping for my birthday-party tomorrow )

Oh - btw - changed the silly, too short side-mirrors and slabbed on heated grips. Wonder why it took me 4 bikes and 13 years to realize that heated grips is a must ;o)

And a picture of my bike - with luggage ;o)

Attached Thumbnails A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-imag0048.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Jesper,
You should keep an eyeball on the cross member that you top box is bolted to as if there is any flex from bumps etc, it will break. I needed to replace the cross member on mine with heavier gauge metal when I mounted my rear rack.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I installed nite-glow green led's on my KLX. Here's a vid below from a thread awhile back. Really illuminates the bike at night. Very pleased with how it turned out. I also replaced my tag light with led's too, so that lights up bright green as well. It's like a glowstick on wheels at night

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I put Stainless Steel cross drilled brake lines on and blinker fluid catch cans

Old 11-20-2010, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Redpillar - but luckily I read about that problem before I mounted the baseplate.
And I've utilized 2 crossmembers as anchor points for it; the front one that the original toolpouch is bolted to and the one behind it, where the rear fender is bolted to from underneath.
This "only" took a deep breath as I had to drill 2 large holes in the rear fender in order to bolt the 2 bars in the picture to. The holes are drilled from beneath through the 2 bolts that are mounted on the black part of the rear fender. I then bolted the rear of the bars from the upper side, thus first bolting the bars to the rear fender, mounting the fender and theese 2 bolts go down through the rear crossmember and and secure them with nuts from the underside. Front holes you just put the bolts through from the top at secure them with nuts on the underside.
May sound confusing - but pick the rear of your bike apart and its pretty straight forward - once you get the idea ;o)

The box is mostly used for the little things, you can't doo without; lock, tool-kit, rain gear and a little shopping - and almost only on paved roads.
Should I do extended gravel etc I would really consider leaving the box at home to avoid overloading the rear sub-frame ;o)

First pic is from above: 4 large holes mark the mounting points on the crossmembers:

Second pic is the bars readily mounted - base plate to be screwed on top:

Attached Thumbnails A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-img_0515.jpg   A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-img_0516.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I made my own graphics. They are holding up well.

Attached Thumbnails A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-img_1245.jpg   A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-img_1246.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 PM

after busting off both of my stock hand guards twice each i decided to go with the clean look, anyone know of any good strong after market guards?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I put a skull and crossbones on every one of my bikes.

Yes, that is my living room. Where the hell else should it be parked? That way I can work on it over the winter where it's nice and warm.

Attached Thumbnails A new post "how to  /s p i c e/  your klx up"-bike.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richie1983
after busting off both of my stock hand guards twice each i decided to go with the clean look, anyone know of any good strong after market guards?
Tusk ones from Rocky Mtn ATV work pretty well.

Quick Reply: A new post "how to /s p i c e/ your klx up"