New Owner & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Default New Owner & Questions

Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a 2006 KLX 250S. It has about 3000 miles on it. I believe it sat for a while as the previous owner did not ride it much.

I'm an avid sportbike rider (2008 Buell 1125r) but I'm a complete rookie when it comes to dirt bikes/dual sports. I love this bike so far and can't wait to see what adventures it will bring me.

The only problem I have so far is I think the float needle is stuck and it pours out fuel out of the float when the fuel is turned on. I can't get it to stop leaking and I really have no idea what to do. I'd like to get the carb rebuilt since I'm assuming after sitting awhile that is not good for it, but would rather wait to do that after the riding season.

The bike has a two brothers slip on and as far as I know the carb/engine has never been opened up.

I've searched relentlessly on how to fix the float and stop the leaking and have had really no luck. If someone could help me by providing any tips/tricks/solutions that would be great. I'm from the Milwaukee area if anyone is willing to help me out in person I would also appreciate that.

Travis

Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

You would be better to take the carb out, clean it, make sure the float is working, then you can ride it.
If you don't want to do that, they have MC shops that will... in trade for money!

Probably better check to see if it has a carb first!

Oh yea, welcome to the forum.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

When I let my 650 sit over the winter for a few months with the carb drained the float needle seized in the carb. I had to take the carb apart, pull the needle out with a pair of needle nose pliers, then lightly sand the needle OD and the ID of the seat tube to clean off the light corrosion. Put it back together and all was good.

Interesting kind of side note. My brother has an 06 to dual sport and his other ride is a Buell Ulysses - killer motor for being based on a Sportster engine. Who'da thunk that lump could loft the front wheel so easily. Why doesn't Harley "Buellize" the Sportster to run like those bikes?! They wouldn't be considered "a girl's bike" any more with over 70 hp! Talk about leaving the big bikes behind...

Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 PM

It definitely has a carb ha...I know that much but thats about it. I've always owned fuel injected motorcycles. Unfortunately for me I lack the tools and skills to take it apart and to do it right and I'm afraid I would just mess everything up some more. I'll probably just end up taking it in to a shop and having it done right. That will also allow them to go over the entire bike and find anything else wrong. I'm sure it hasn't been maintained in a while, which I knew as I was buying it. I picked it up for a steal.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Travis, don't leave the carb flooding...... it's not good for the motor to be over-fueled constantly. Far better to spend a few of the $ you saved to give the motor some longevity. The carb isn't tough to do, but they are finicky and it may not be worthwhile doing it yourself, especially as riding time is running out this season.

Last edited by Angier; 09-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Angier
Travis, don't leave the carb flooding...... it's not good for the motor to be over-fueled constantly. Far better to spend a few of the $ you saved to give the motor some longevity. The carb isn't tough to do, but they are finicky and it may not be worthwhile doing it yourself, especially as riding time is running out this season.
Yeah at this point I'm gonna be taking it in somewhere. What should I be expecting to pay for a carb rebuild?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

It likely just needs meticulous cleaning, that is all I ever need to do. No idea on cost as I taught myself, being a cheapskate and control-my-own freeeeek!
I would think 2 hrs shop time, or so. With only 3k miles it shouldn't be needing too many parts unless treated and-or neglected very badly.

There are likely vids on you-tube if you feel like taking the job on yourself

Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Do your home work before taking it in, and while the carb is out, get them to set it up properly. A Dynojet (or DIY) jet kit will help a lot.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Angier
Travis, don't leave the carb flooding...... it's not good for the motor to be over-fueled constantly.
Also, be careful of hydro-lock. If enough fuel gets into the cylinder and you go to start it, on the compression stroke, it will try to compress the fuel that's in there and it won't compress (at least not like a proper air/fuel mixture) and you can actually bend a rod. The Concours ZG1000's were somewhat known for this. I owned one and had a similar problem (petcock was leaking, one float needle wasn't sealing, so sitting there, fuel would just fill one of the cylinders. You go to start it and if you're unlucky the cylinder with the fuel pooled in it is on the compression stroke, and you may bend a connecting rod.)