New owner have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New owner have some questions...

Just bought a like new klx 250sf today!!

I must say the low seat height and 3000$ price had me booked!!!

I have yet to take it on the freeway, but i do plan to start commuting on the bike a bit after i complete the msf course. My question being what size sprockets come on the SF? What would be a good compromise without over revving the bike on 45 minute freeway rides (occasional)?

Also i do alot of dirt riding and am wondering where a good place that is reputable to buy some avon distanzias or equivalent tires that will do a little better in the dirt?

I read some of the FAQ but got sucked into an hour of big bore installations and custom accessories

Heres a picture of the thing! It is really one of the happiest days of my life!

Name:  WP_000445.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  290.0 KB

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the exact same model, colour, and paid the same price as you. I also use mine in a similar way to how you plan to use yours: highway, commuting, & off-road.

You’ll find it unpleasant on the freeway due to the anaemic top end and lack of wind protection, but it’s certainly no more unpleasant than hauling a bike by truck to get it to the trails. Its torque, light weight and high seating position make it a far better commuter than any other bike I have ever owned. It’s also competent enough off road that I am able to go into the woods with true OHVs where there is not another street-legal vehicle in sight.

Stock final gearing for the SF is 14/39. I put a 13T on the front which improved the bottom-end, and also ironically I found gave it a slightly better top end because it’s able to rev a little higher when the wind-resistance becomes a factor at higher speeds. The effect of the 13T sprocket is largely negated however by the larger circumference of the tires I have run since replacing the stock IRCs.

I first tried a set of non-DOT Pirelli Scorpions which proved infinitely better off-road than the IRCs, but wore out very quickly on the road. The rear was gone in ~2000km.

I am currently running a set of Shinko 700s and I have ~1000km on them so far. I am very satisfied with their compromise of on/off road capabilities. They claim to be a 60/40 tire. They appear to be hard-wearing and I have also had them into some pretty deep gravel & mud with satisfactory performance.

If you are looking for something similar to the Distenza’s tread pattern for less money, it might be worth trying the Shinko 705 (?).They claim to be a 80/20 tire.

If your experience with the KLX is like mine has been so far, you’ll have a blast. My other 3 bikes are quickly getting a thick layer of dust on them since I brought the KLX into the stable!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

See if Kenda makes the 761 in the size you need.... I put on on my KLR a little while ago.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I cruise at 75 mph on the highway no prob..
I have an '09 SF as well.. Love the thing to death!
I wish I could find a damn dirty setup for it tho..
I want to take this thing into the woods hardcore.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The significant challenge with finding duo-sport or off-road tires for the SF is the 17” front wheel. If you wanted to run the Kenda 761s on an SF, you’d be stuck with a 130-wide tire on the front (definitely NOT best-practice).

The Pirelli Scorpions I ran forced me to run a 120-wide on the front. I experienced no significant handling issues with this other than the weight of it on the front end. I find the the Shinkos a far better balance.

In my research I found that if you want a duo-sport tire on an SF, your choices are limited, but include Avon Distanzias, Dunlop 606s, or Shinko 700, 705, or 244s.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I just want find a whole wheel setup that I can swap when I want to get down and dirty..

Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Those Kenda's look good.
You might look at the Shinko 705's too. I put them on my new KLR650 and I'm happy with'm. I rode a buddy's KLR650 with BALD 705's and was sold on the bike. Bought myself one the next week and installed DS tires with an emphasis on road riding. They handle gravel roads no problem. If you want a little more aggressive tread you might check the Shinko 244's. I put the rear on my KLX300. No complaints with it either.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Totally agree Matasickle, I'd love to be able to easily switch between 'shoes & boots' but the research I've done shows that it looks like an elaborate & expensive ordeal to put an 18" & 21" on an SF. Even then, you won't have the suspension travel or ground clearance of a true dirt bike without incurring even more cost swapping the front end out!
I say either get a used dirt bike for around the same cost as trying to turn an SF into an S, or just throw some 17" duosport tires on and hit the mud!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree. I had a badazz bike that I sumo'd and I didn't like having all the money wrapped up in wheels. It is NOT like having 2 totally different bikes.
A sumo with DS tires can do anything MOST DS's do. You wanna get more aggressive than that and a specific dirt bike is the way to go.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah you guys are right... I think I will just buy a KLX250S to add to my stable.. I will say it is for the fiance.. muahhaha

Quick Reply: New owner have some questions...