New Owner- Bent Kickstand options

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking someone probably thought they could sit and bounce around on the bike while on the side stand or backed a car into the bike jamming the stand, bending and breaking it. Either way it is abuse that has little to do with the way the bike was ridden unless they frequently did the side stand spin to turn the bike around. Also not a good habit. The stand mount just isn't built robust enough to take much hard use weight wise.

Either way it should be cut off, repositioned and welded in place, then not beat on again.

I will mount my bike while on the side stand using the step up method from the left side, but am very aware of putting all my weight on the stand versus shifting most to the actual bike when doing so. I virtually never sit on the bike with it on the side stand, because that is a bit of a fragile area all told.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The original owner said it was bent when he drove off with the kickstand down, after he disabled the safety switch (haha!).

I'll be purchasing a stock kick stand on Ebay and will call around for a welder in the area. Should I be focusing on bike shops or will any good welding shop take on something like this?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you're gonna have to grind some of them boogers off to service the shock linkage..... *grin

Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Call a welding shop. I don't think many if not any bike shops weld unless they build custom choppers.

Good luck and Enjoy her!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gwolf
The original owner said it was bent when he drove off with the kickstand down, after he disabled the safety switch (haha!).

I'll be purchasing a stock kick stand on Ebay and will call around for a welder in the area. Should I be focusing on bike shops or will any good welding shop take on something like this?
I would take a serious look at downsizing the bracket unless you want to put the switch back on. That thing is huge. I'd also look at possibly maybe adding a short gusset or two in strategic areas for a bit more strength.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

If it was my bike I would fab up a copy of the tab on my husqvarna and get a husqvarna/ ktm stand. I like that it folds all the way to the subframe and not sticking out.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Will do. The kickstand just completely broke off, so this will be happening sooner rather than later.

I also just came home to a flat rear tire. Looks like the valve stem blew.

Originally Posted by s10gto
Call a welding shop. I don't think many if not any bike shops weld unless they build custom choppers.

Good luck and Enjoy her!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Rim locks on order?

Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, crappy weld for sure. Have someone redo it the right way. Bike looks nice though.

Yeah, sounds like your rim lock wasn't tight enough if you have one. Check it, they "Need" to be tight tight tight. Get one up front if you don't have one. Don't think these came with one on front. Mine didn't, 2009 as well. Hole is there for it, but had a rubber plug. I picked one up after spining mine under heavy braking with lower psi in tire. Tire and tube spin a little pulling stem from tube.

Last edited by Werloc; 03-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Rim locks on order?
Don't forget the HD tubes and no-mar Balance weights.

Quick Reply: New Owner- Bent Kickstand options