New old guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New old guy

Howdy, all.

I've been a long time lurker and potential buyer of the KLX250S since it was re-released. I've ridden, most recently, a 2000 Yamaha XT225 (2000 mostly dirt miles) from '99 to 2004, TW200 (a few times) and purchased a 2003 DR200SE in 2004, which I put 2200 mostly dirt miles on.

I missed riding all of last year due to illness and didn't start this year until a couple weeks ago, but, now I am back in it full bore.

Well, I went in to one of the local Power Sport dealers on the way to go riding, a week and a half ago, bike in the trailer, check book at home and the Sales Manager, whom used to be a neighbor that I never really talked to, saw me in the shop and made his offer of $500 over invoice, since he new me and my dad have purchased a lot of motorcycles over the last 30+ years. He's offered that before and also offered me a sales position, due to my knowledge of dual sports (however meager it is, it's more then his sales team, lol), but, I never really thought he was serious.

Anyhow, long story short, I left the shop with a different bike after getting a tremendous trade in on my '03 DR200SE and a good deal on a new, 2009 KLX250S. So, I got a new bike for $2,500 out of pocket.

I've already put over 400 miles on it, 2/3 of it dirt and it's been just about the perfect trail/fire road bike for me. I've been riding it to work to help break it in and save a few bucks in gas, over my Tahoe.

I could use about another gallon of fuel capacity, coming from the DR200SE, mainly just for less frequent trips to the gas station, a seat that is lower by about an inch and more comfortable, would be nice, as well. That I may rectify really soon either from Rich's in Seattle, Renazco via mail order or, some other source.

So far, so good. I really like the styling and I've always liked Kawasaki green. =)

For the type of riding I do, my size, it's about the perfect amount of power, ergo's are just right for my height, though, with my shorter legs, I could stand to have it a bit lower, for the tricky, technical low speed stuff. Everything else has been good. I'm getting about 58-68 miles per gallon.

It is kinda funny, though, with it having a digital odometer, the miles that I coast with the engine off do not show up on the odometer, so, my bike will have about 10-20% more miles on it then what is actually displayed. That's not a bad thing, in some respects, since it helps keep track of how much fuel I have left.

Anyhow, it's nice to be riding green now.

Laters.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New old guy

Welcome back, I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Know what you mean about the seat. I'm only 5'8" but the height is not the issue for me, it's comfort. Anything over 20 miles is a pain in the **** but any improvements there will just have to come after some performance mods. Maybe I can graft a GoldWing saddle on.......

Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome 'home', enjoy the bike in good health!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Enjoy the new bike. It's a nice upgrade from the DR.

Mike

Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey my wife has the 2006 XT 225 and a friend across the street has the 2004 TW 200 and I love both bikes. But the KLX is not even in the same category as those bikes. You will enjoy your new toy. And remember if you break something after 40 it just stays broke.[8D]

Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 AM

Hey deej,
Being over 40 is not that bad if you stay in good shape! Work out! Eat well! Stretch!

Buy a Bowflex,haha

WD=43

Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WD~40

Hey deej,
Being over 40 is not that bad if you stay in good shape! Work out! Eat well! Stretch!

Buy a Bowflex,haha

WD=43
Yea.....sounds like a lot of work, but thanks anyway.[8D]

Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM

It's all good my brother!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a soloflex 15 years ago, I never used it, then I sold it to my ex wife and she never used it either. The number one item on craig's list is exercise equipment.[8D]

Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

A hearty welcome to ya, CRTleach! Once you get'er broken in, go ahead and do the free mods. Now that you've stepped-up to a 250, you might as well unleash itsfull potential. Enjoy!

Let me also put-in my plug for Renazco. It's probably the best $300.00 I've ever spent on this bike. I log a lot of street miles though.

Quick Reply: New old guy