New Mechanical Seals Don't Fit 94 Model

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 07:52 PM
Default New Mechanical Seals Don't Fit 94 Model

I have a 94 KLX250 with a bad water pump mechanical seal, I went ahead and ordered a new one but I found out it doesn't fit. I know you're supposed to press fit the new part in place, but the the diameter of the shaft is far too large to fit the seal over it without damaging either one. There are apparently two versions of this part, 49063-1002 and 49063-1055, neither of which fit OR look like the original mechanical seal. I'm at a loss here, I cannot find the original seal at all anywhere, not even on similar kawi models. I've tried looking at multiple sites and diagrams, even tried google lensing it and found nothing. I did somehow find an ebay listing with a case cover that has the original seal like mine, so I know the correct seal exists out there somewhere. Does anyone know where to find the correct mechanical seal? I attached some pictures to show the difference between the two.

The left is the original and right is the new one, 49063-1055.

Old 09-20-2024, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

As far as I can tell, the 2 p/n's you listed fit all of the 250/300's water-cooled engines.
The 1002-suffix says it's supposed to fit your bike.

Old 09-20-2024, 02:55 AM

Yeah apparently they're supposed to fit according to every diagram. I tried sticking the cover in the freezer to shrink it and the seal in the sun to expand to see if it'd go on any better and its still far too large.

Old 09-20-2024, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a picture of the cover where the water pump seal goes? My guess is that you didn't remove all of the old seal which has the base part that has the blue sealant on it. Behind the water pump seal there's an oil seal and a bearing. It's best to remove the bearing that the oil pump/water pump shaft rides on as well as removing the oil seal. You can then drive the rest of the old seal out with a socket just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the water pump housing. I actually made a tool for pressing in the new water pump mechanical seal because there's very little room to get it back in there without destroying it. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2024, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1994klr250
Do you have a picture of the cover where the water pump seal goes? My guess is that you didn't remove all of the old seal which has the base part that has the blue sealant on it. Behind the water pump seal there's an oil seal and a bearing. It's best to remove the bearing that the oil pump/water pump shaft rides on as well as removing the oil seal. You can then drive the rest of the old seal out with a socket just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the water pump housing. I actually made a tool for pressing in the new water pump mechanical seal because there's very little room to get it back in there without destroying it. Hope this helps.
I replaced both the bearing and oil seal already and the cover doesn't have any left over sealant or anything like that. I can't get the mechanical seal to fit over the shaft, so the cover won't go back on. I ordered another mechanical seal incase the one I bought originally was faulty. What can I use to make pressing it in easier?

Old 09-20-2024, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT559
Yeah apparently they're supposed to fit according to every diagram. I tried sticking the cover in the freezer to shrink it and the seal in the sun to expand to see if it'd go on any better and its still far too large.

If the seal goes in the case you are working backward. The case needs heated to expand the opening, the seal needs freezing or cooling to contract the diameter. It's like putting bearings into cases. The bearing must be shrunk and the case opening expanded. What you did is making the sea bigger diameter and the case smaller... exact reverse of what is needed. If I am right, you need to throw the seal in the freezer and then heat the cases with a torch or heat gun carefully. You still may need to get a socket or pipe big enough to work around the outer surface of the seal to tap it in. The socket or pipe must rest on the outer edge, not on the softer flexible inner part of the seal.

If you are working to fit the seal over a shaft your process makes sense. I'd do some measuring of the seal ID and the shaft OD to make sure there should be a fit. Make sure the shaft is right. It's possible the shaft could be further cooled using dry ice or something like that. Might even be some kind of spray stuff that can do the job on the shaft.

Not having worked with anything like that on my bike, I am venturing some mechanical observation here, so it isn't absolute fact that I'm right.

Last edited by klx678; 09-20-2024 at 12:52 PM.