New (to me) KLX250 - mod questions & suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Default New (to me) KLX250 - mod questions & suggestions

Hey all. I have been lurking here for about a month and a half now which is when I picked up my new to me 2006 KLX250 with 1150 miles on the clock. It has a HMF chrome exhaust (I added the quiet core as it was too loud for me) and has a 13T front sprocket. Also came with an extended warranty good through May 2010.

I love the bike but am going to be riding at least 80% on forest service roads and off road and probably less than 20% around town with very minimal freeway driving. I have decided to go get a 47T rear sprocket and was wondering what length chain I will need (should I get o ring or x ring) with the 13/47 sprocket set up? The previous owner removed and tossed the chain guard. Are they available anywhere at a reasonable price and do you think I should bother putting one back on my bike?

I also am looking at getting some handguards and would like suggestions for bark buster style guards.

I almost bought a new WR250 instead of the KLX and am glad I did not spend the extra money (dealer would not DEAL). I may look into adding the 350 kit and pumper carb over this coming winter and with that I believe the bike will keep me happy for a long, long time.

Last edited by SpotNStalk; 06-11-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Like I said in the PM..welcome to the forums man. Another Washington Mole!!!

MOLES RULE!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF Family!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome bro. Choices, choices, choices.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi S&S If your talking about the chain guard on the swing arm, I'd just leave it off. I think most on here have deleted it. You may be able to buy one cheap here on the board.
I have the basic bark busters from Moose, and I'm happy with them. Mounted up easily too. You may want to upgrade your bars if your bike has the stockers still on it. Change the bars out and then you only have to fit the barkbusters once.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Hey man, Welcome! Glad to hear you scored a KLX. I'm up the road from you a ways. If you like, I'll give you my chain guard that only stayed on my bike for about 10 miles. Much easier to care for the chain w/o it. O-Ring chains ( in my opinion ) are the way to go. As far as the drivetrain, sprockets/chain, get the stongest stuff you can manage. It will pay off in the long run. Shoot me a PM and I'll try to get my links counted up by then. Later.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Just want to make sure of something. Most likely your talking about the chain guard on top of the swing arm, I wouldn't bother replacing that. The chain guide is on the bottom of the swing arm close to the rear wheel. If the guide is what your talking about definiately get a new one. The only reason I'm mentioning this is that I completely obliterated my stock POS chain guide the other day so that made me think to ask.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome gang. I forgot to mention in my op that the bars have been upgraded. The previous owner put a set of oversized Turner Hi-rise Ricky Carmichael bars. Not sure on the quality but it is definately an upgrade over the stock bars and will have to do for now.

NEWPARTSRULE - I was thinking I would go with an 0 ring chain so thanks for confirming that is probably the best way to go. i was planning on going with Renthal for the rear sprocket and chain. There is a sprocket/chain kit at motosport.com that is for the KLX300 that is a 13/48 combo (no option for 47T). From what I have been reading the KLX300 sprockets work fine on the KLX250?? I may take you up on the offer for the chainguard. I don't really want it on there all the time but for specific trips to the woods the girlfriend might want to hop on the back to drive up a logging road (good way to get her interested in her own bike, me thinks) and don't want her missing any toes when the ride is over. If you can get me the link count that would be awesome. I want to get this thing set up.

roadglider - yes, I am talking about the chain guard on top of the swingarm. I probably don't need or really want it on other than for the reason stated above. I'll definately keep an eye on the chain guide as the stock one looks a little weak.

Showing my status as a newbie, I don't think I have ever heard of Moose products so I'll have to check them out now.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot where but at a certain size on the rear sprocket you can't use the chain guard anyway. I thought it was 47 and larger. I could be wrong...there is a first time for everything. I'm currently running the Renthal O-Ring Gold chain, and its the bomb......do they still say the bomb?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to mention that while you will notice a huge difference from a 14 to a 13 front sprocket, unless you are a avid rider you will not be able to tell the difference between the 47 and the 48 rear sprocket. Remember its 3 to 1. 1 down in the front is like 3 up in the back. The only thing you could possibly notice from a 47 to a 48 is like 100 rpms..if that. So I would get the Renthal kit.

Quick Reply: New (to me) KLX250 - mod questions & suggestions