new (to me) 2009 KLX250SF

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new (to me) 2009 KLX250SF

First post for me. I just purchased a used 2009 KLX250SF with 39 miles on the odometer from a non-Kawi dealership. Warranty is still valid until late August 2011.

I've been trying to read and learn as much as I can about the bike but will probably bug the forum with newbie Qs, so please be gentle.

My first two Qs are:

(1) I wanted to know which exhaust has the "deepest" sound. I know it's subjective but wanted some opinions.

So far these are the makes I've been able to find for a 2009+ 250SF:

-- Two Brothers
-- FMF
-- Big Gun

Others?

(2) Who has a handlebar bag on their KLX250? This bike was bought as a commuter and wanted to know if there are any bags available so I can hold my garage door opener in it for easy access. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Hey there. I am new also..... How is your low end power? Are you lookign to do any other mods other than exhaust and re-jet? Will these mods change the warranty in any way?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure what I want as mods. I think the bike is a bit quiet for me, so I thought an exhaust for the "sound" so cars can hear me if they don't see me.

And that makes me ask a follow-up Q, must you always re-jet after an exhaust install?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 407guy
First post for me. I just purchased a used 2009 KLX250SF with 39 miles on the odometer from a non-Kawi dealership. Warranty is still valid until late August 2011.
Welcome aboard mate.

So far these are the makes I've been able to find for a 2009+ 250SF:

-- Two Brothers
-- FMF
-- Big Gun

Others?
With the FMF you have the choice of the quieter Q4 or the louder PowerCore4. I believe the Powerbomb and Megabomb header pipes make a difference to the sound as well.

You can also look at the Muzzy slip-on, Vance & Hines XCR slip-on, and Leo Vince. If you are in Australia you can also take a look at the Staintune pipe (http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...50_Muffler.htm)

And that makes me ask a follow-up Q, must you always re-jet after an exhaust install?
YES. New slip-on will mean more air going through the entire system which means you need more fuel. There are lots of suggestions on this forum if you search, but as a start if you are at sea level look at going up to a #38 pilot jet and #138 main jet (#128 if you are using a dynojet kit).

Last edited by Arctra; 01-05-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Muzzy full system ... /end thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Welcome aboard mate.

YES. New slip-on will mean more air going through the entire system which means you need more fuel. There are lots of suggestions on this forum if you search, but as a start if you are at sea level look at going up to a #38 pilot jet and #138 main jet (#128 if you are using a dynojet kit).

Thanks for the welcome.

However, what you wrote above has my head exploding. I need to bone-up on re-jetting.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Hang around here, you will learn a lot.

Its an addiction. My Pumper carb will be here Friday!

David

Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

If price is to be considered FMF might be the way to go, I got my Powercore4 and a Powerbomb header for under $400 new to my door and it sounds pretty good. Each system has it's advantages and some are louder than others, that being said loud and power don't always go hand in hand but each of the choices you mentioned including the Muzzy should be considered. Keep in mind sound bytes you are likely to hear aren't all from new pipes and the sound does change with use, ie: louder as the packing burns out. My choice was solely due to cost and I'm happy with what I got.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I know sound and power gains do not go hand in hand. Looking just for sound so cars can hear me... I hope.

I kinda like the looks of the Big Gun I don't seem to find many threads on that brand. *shrug*

Also, I'm reading that with the FMF you have to relocate the turn signals. Is this correct?

Last edited by 407guy; 01-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I know sound and power gains do not go hand in hand. Looking just for sound so cars can hear me... I hope.

Also, I'm reading that with the FMF you have to relocate the turn signals. Is this correct?
1st - sound will come with the power gain if you use an aftermarket slip on or system.
any of them, the FMF, 2 bros, ect...

2nd - i have the FMF powercore 4, which i will recommend if yer lookin for the motor to open up without the need of a jetting kit, there is no need to relocate the signals, it does just fine, and i think the Q4 is the same thing.
and both have a deep sound

Quick Reply: new (to me) 2009 KLX250SF