new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

My guess is the power wire for the tail lite is shorted to gnd, the fact that your brake lite works tells me that the GND for the LED tail lite is correct and the power for the brake lite is also correct as you said the brake LED works, so process of elimination tells me hat the tail lite power wire must be shorted to GND......If the LED was wired incorrectly, the LED would not lite up as the current can only flow one way through it, if it lites at all its wired right...I'd say you just have a short on your tail lite power wire.

question, did you solder and heat shrink each of the three wires separately or solder and tape them together all at the same place. I have had sharp edges of wires (that were soldered) pierce through electrical tape and short against each other because i didn't have/use heat shrink and taped them together with just a layer or two of tape between them.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

ORIGINAL: dacoontz

Started disconnecting, but ran out of fuses. The wires from my blinkers weren't long enough so i had to extend them with a 8 inch extension and i think the wire I used was a gauge or two larger from what I can tell, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference.
You are right. Don't worry about the turn signals.

Do you think the change to an LED could still be the problem though or is it definitely a short?
No. Iinstalled an edge 2on my D-tracker. It works perfectly without any wiring mod's.

The red/white wire coming from your bike is being shorted out somehow. That's the one for the tail light. If you can scan the wiring diagram that came with the Edge 2 light to jpeg, I can read the japanese and tell you which wire should be hooked to where. It's too bad that I don't have my bike with me right now or I would just look. As I remember, the wire colors coming from the light strayed a bit from the conventions we might expect.

Take a look at the where you'veconnected the Red/white wire with the wire from the light and makesureisn't making metal to metal contact withone of the otherwires or with the frame. If you taped all of thewires together, take off the tape and make sure nothing is touching inside.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

My tail light didn't come with any instructions. I emailed DRC and asked for some so maybe they will e-mail me back some and then i will post them here tremor. As far as with the tailight causing the short, last night I disconnected the tailight altogether and popped the fuse back in and it still blew, now keep in mind that it wasn't an identical fuse, it was 10 amp but not exacty like the one that was in the bike originally which I think is a PAO fuse instead of a ACG or something like that. Do you think I should test it with the identical fuse, when I can get to a bike shop to buy one, instead of an automotive grade 32V fuse that is rated 10 amp's.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

My tail light didn't come with any instructions. I emailed DRC and asked for some so maybe they will e-mail me back some and then i will post them here tremor. As far as with the tailight causing the short, last night I disconnected the tailight altogether and popped the fuse back in and it still blew, now keep in mind that it wasn't an identical fuse, it was 10 amp but not exacty like the one that was in the bike originally which I think is a PAO fuse instead of a ACG or something like that. Do you think I should test it with the identical fuse, when I can get to a bike shop to buy one, instead of an automotive grade 32V fuse that is rated 10 amp's.
10 amps is 10 amps. No sense in blowing more fuses. My bet is that you will find something shorted right at or near the point where you first connected the tail light....Did yousplice into the wire underneath the seat orthe portion under the fender?

Trace outthat red/white wireon the bike. It has to beeitherchaffed intothe frame somewhere or touching another wire metal to metal. If you are handy with an ohm meter, it will read about zero ohms from that wire to ground until you fix that short.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

okay, all is well. I just took everything apart and reinstalled and it is functioning well. On the tail light it seems that the blue connects to the red wire from the bike and the red wire of the tailight connects to the yellow of the bike. Anyway, looks good and works great. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

' U da man!' Ride-on

okay, all is well. I just took everything apart and reinstalled and it is functioning well. On the tail light it seems that the blue connects to the red wire from the bike and the red wire of the tailight connects to the yellow of the bike. Anyway, looks good and works great. Thanks for the help.