new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

Here's some pics of my new rear fender set up with the Maier rear fender and DRC edge 2 tailight. Actually used the rack as the primary anchoring bolts for the new fender. Turned out pretty good. Just have one problem. My brake light works when I hit the brakes but other wise I have no headlight or driving tailight, is this a LED problem like with the blinkers? How do I fix this one? Do I need to place a diode in the circuit somewhere?

Hope this pics work out, taken with a palm. And a picture of me, my wife, and kid in Big Sky country.

http://picasaweb.google.com/beckylee111/DanSKLX

Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

Daniel,
Rear fender looks pretty sweet.
Just check your fuses, probably opened one during the brake light install.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.

how many wires are coming off that tail light? If there are just 2 then I doubt you can have both a tail lite and brake light as one would be ground and the other power. LEDs are either on/off, you can get three leaded LEDs, but they are usually bi-colored. If you can get away with just the tail-light and no brake lite, wire the LEDs to the tail light wire instead of the brake power wire. A 12-volt test lite is well worth the few bucks when doing the wiring yourself.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Fender looks great. I like how you used the rack to secure the fender. I got a maier rear fender sitting in the bottom of my tool box, it will eventually make it to the back of the klx...

Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Very sharp looking. Nice job.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I would check the fuse first, it's the one under the seat in the little black box.
fender looks great with that light!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirt_beaver
Fender looks great. I like how you used the rack to secure the fender. I got a maier rear fender sitting in the bottom of my tool box, it will eventually make it to the back of the klx...
your pics motivated me. I had to put the fender on after mylast post on this thread-here she is without the tail light (excuse the messy garage)
Name:  newfender.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  81.4 KB

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad I inspired you beaver.
So, my fuse was blown so I replaced it and watched it blow again and soon as i turned the key on. So is there anyway around this. Maybe my wiring is backwards. There are three wires coming off the LED tailight. The ground was obvious but then there is a red and yellow wire. I matched up the red ones and put the yellow to the one left over from the bike which was blue. I suppose I could swap the blue and yellow wires but I am lazy. Anyone think this might work or do I have to put something else into the circuit?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

It sounds as if you may have a dead short.
It could be along the wiring that you altered or inside the tail-light or blinkers.

To isolate the short, get a handfull of fuses and then first take the bulb out of the tail light and hit the key, if it pops then you know the problem is upstream of the taillight, then disconnect each turn-signal one at a time and hit the key, if the fuse pops then keep going replacing the fuse before the next test until you have went thru each light.
If you get thru disconnecting the power wire from all the lights that you altered (or installed) and you still have a short then you may have either a bad relay or a bare wire short that you'll have to track down the old fashioned way.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Started disconnecting, but ran out of fuses. The wires from my blinkers weren't long enough so i had to extend them with a 8 inch extension and i think the wire I used was a gauge or two larger from what I can tell, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference. Maybe I have a bad connection there somewhere causing the short. Do you think the change to an LED could still be the problem though or is it definitely a short?

Quick Reply: new maier rear and edge 2 set up (with pics), but light problem, need a little help.