New Maier MX rear fender...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Maier MX rear fender...

I just got out of school, took Electrical - Construction & Industrial. We had a course on solid state components. Learned abour diodes, capacitors, triacs, diacs, resistors... Bunch ofweird stuff.. I'll probably just go to the teacher, ask him what it involves. Heteaches the electronics course there too. Sounds like a plan to get some free work done?
Honestly I can't remember too much from the solid state course.. I do have all my books and stuff tho.
SO. . That's what I'm going to PLAN to do about the battery.
hopefully there will be followups on that.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If improperly charged, a LiIon battery will vent flammable gasses like a blow torch and burst into flames. Plus, I seriously dout lithium ion has the cranking amps necessary. You might try Li-Poly but those are even harder to charge correctly and even more volatile when charged incorrectly, though they can punch out a lot of amps.

If you want to save weight and not worry about your bike exploding, you are better off just removing the battery and starter completely and installing the kick starter. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, lithium batteries are nothing totreated lightly. Even if youhandle them right, sometimes they will still go into thermal runaway. The lithium film models that Nobrakes speaks of are the safest to date because they will completely contain themself should that happen. Still, If they were suited to automotive or Motorcycle use, I think one of the many manufacturers would be using them for that purpose by now...don't ya think?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably not because they are quite pricey to get the same capacity as a lead acid, seems like manufacturers want to make more quicker cheaper.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here you go, a little demo of an incorrectly charged Li battery:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81012294482371

Here's another:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60570423705609

I'll say it again, I recommend the kick starter.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Damnit!..I hate that you're right!I guess that's what forums are for.. Learning, sharing knowledge.. I won't waiste anymore time on that bright idea..
I guess the best way to do it would be to Keep It Simple Stupid... And just paint the number panels..haha.. Or get a kickstart

Soooo.. about those subframe cuts???

Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I'll say it again, I recommend the kick starter.
Idunno, I'm not sure I canrecommend either one. If you have to go with the lesser of two evils, then kick start it is I guess.

I mean, we want this soley for the pupose of accomodating different side panels and some weight savings?If he's gonna go that way, at the very minimum he should go with a battery replacement capacitor to replace the natural filtering abilities inherent in a battery...Too much of this bike is designed around having a battery. Not the least of which is the KLX250S voltage regulator.He will need room for that capacitor somewhere. Hopefully it will fit beneath the non-battery sized panel.

Just my 2 pennies worth. I mean what are we looking to transform this bike into? It's a dual sport, and no matter how much you do to it, it will always be jack of all trades, master of none. Seems like an aweful lot of changing for very litttle effect.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well said dean.....

Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My only objective here was to point out the dangers of Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries. I guess I'm not really recommending any particular course of action, just that I would steer clear of Lithium batteries as a replacement for lead-acid. And if the weight was really important to me, I would just remove the battery and starter altogether and use a kickstarter. There may be additional things you need to do for that conversion. That kind've goes without saying, or so I thought.

Quick Reply: New Maier MX rear fender...