New legs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New legs!

Well,

after 2 weeks of anticipation during shipment and another couple of weeks waiting for the Japanese Obon holiday period to end, my 'Standard Height Supermotard Suspension System' from Moto Pro is finally installed.

The kit includes F&R springs, F&R 'ULTRA MAX' valves and enough shims to make you cross-eyed measuring them. If you order this kit, a digital caliper is your friend. My weight is 150lbs soaking wet, so we went with a .44 spring rate in the forks. Supermoto fork springs are generally about 4 levels firmer than Enduro levels for the same rider weight; the valving is shimmed with the same rule of thumb for compression. Rebound is slowed by about 20% over what is typical for enduro. That is accomplished by adjusting the clicker in the shock and using 10wt oil in forks that have no rebound damping adjustment (like ours). For the shock, it's standard to go with an enduro spring rate, but with Supermoto valve stiffness.

I'm grateful for the holiday period, because that gave me, the suspension work NOOB, time to read the directions and get everything properly sorted out, before bringing shims, valves and springs to a mechanic who has rebuilt plenty of shocks, but has never done a re-valve. I pre-stacked the shims, valves, check plates, retaining nuts, etc in the right order and zip-tied them together before bringing them in. I think that helped considerably because the directions are in English. Special mention goes out to John Minnich at Moto Pro Suspension, for having the patience to answer all of my NOOB questions, so I could answer anything the mechanic asked...and believe me, I asked a lot of them!

I took the day off and hung around the shop until all of the valve work was done. The mechanic went through most of the work 'like a hot knife through butter' with only a slight pause to ask me a question about the valve position in the forks (they are shimmed much higher than the stock units).

Picked-up the bike today and only had time to ride it home (about ten miles from the shop). I immediately noticed a lot less front-end dive. Aggressivley applying the front brake produces a much more stable, controlled stop with way better feedback than stock. I have darn near every bump along that route memorized, and the bumps that used to make the bike bounce or transmit a lot of shock to your body are absorbed nicely now. With the firmer springs rates and valve stiffness, I didn't expect such a plush ride. I'll assume that's the new valves in action.

Only a few decent corners along the way and slow moving traffic limited what I could do, but the bike definitely feels more planted..especially in the corners with bumpy sufaces that used to make the bike feel a bit unstable.

I'll post more info when I get a chance to check things out in the mountains, but so far, so good. I guess the things that have really stoud-out so far is how planted and stable the bike feels, and the biggest suprise is that the firmer suspension actually feels smoother -almost plush, I dare say- thanks to the valves and how they are shimmed (my best guess). No complaints with that, just a bit unexpected.

The closest thing to being negative is that it feels like the bike doesn't accelerate as well anymore because there is less rocking backward with the more controlled ride.

Last edited by tremor38; 08-30-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome news man! I am seriously needing to at least get the springs, my front lamp spotlights the street when I even tap the brakes. Let me know how it handles the twisties, that's the same riding I like to do.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Great stuff man. Start layin' down some liquorice.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 08-31-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Great stuff man. Start layin' down some liquorice.
Oh man, I can't wait to give it proper shakedown! Seems like the rainy weather and family duties are at an all time high right now though.

What I thought was funny is that John (Moto Pro President) said that there will be no more chatter when I drift through corners. I laughed and told him I'd need another 100cc or a rainy day at the track to worry about that.

Last edited by tremor38; 08-31-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Where's that 650cc big bore kit. LOL

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Tremor

I was just in Misawa last week! I wish I knew that someone from the board was out there I would have said hello! I flew in on the KC-10 (Flight Engineer) that was there, anyway I also have some springs on order from moto-pro for my KLX300.

Oh that Cheese Roll Noodle shop place is delicious!!

Later Dennis