New KLX250S owner having problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Get an FCR carb. You will like the performance and it will not be a fuel problem next time it wont start.

But with the stock carb what I like to do when I ride the GF's sf is pull the carb out with the start button depressed. Seems to work every time as I hit a sweet spot most of the way out.

Cheers Jim

Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. This weekend I pulled out the carb drilled the 7/64 hole, installed Dynojet kit per instructions, drained the gas and put in new fuel and sprayed carb cleaner into various parts in the carb. I'm waiting for my #38 pilot from the dealer. Its still having starting problems. It will start up after draining the bowl and filling it back up with engine cold. But once it gets up to temp it pretty much dies and wont start back up. I'm lost

Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrlnjunkie
Thanks everyone for the advice. This weekend I pulled out the carb drilled the 7/64 hole, installed Dynojet kit per instructions, drained the gas and put in new fuel and sprayed carb cleaner into various parts in the carb. I'm waiting for my #38 pilot from the dealer. Its still having starting problems. It will start up after draining the bowl and filling it back up with engine cold. But once it gets up to temp it pretty much dies and wont start back up. I'm lost
Drill the starter jet to .018". It's the fix. Your 38 pilot will probably help, but the real problem is that the OEM starter jet is just on the too-small side for quick starting in all conditions.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Get an FCR carb. You will like the performance and it will not be a fuel problem next time it wont start.
I have no idea what the original carb is like, I bought my bike (03) with an FCR33 already fitted. Starts first time, every time. Not a cheap fix though

Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey everyone, just wanna give you guys an update. Before I ran into this problem, my motorcycle maintenace was limited to changing the oil. But thanks to this forum and all you guys help, I found my problem. After reading just about every post about starting problems and pulling out my carb twice, it finally hit me when I was laying in bed. It must be my pilot jet.

So last night I pulled out the carb again but this time I knew what I was looking for. And there it was, the pilot get was covered with green tarnish. It looked like it had been sitting in the bottom of the ocean next to the Titanic. I didn't realize how tiny the hole was on the stock pilot jet. So I removed all the plastic from the carb, pulled out the jets and boiled everything in water for about 10 min. Then dried it the best I could and sprayed WD-40 in various parts. Put the carb back in and connected everything and VOILA! Started up on first crank with a smooth idle. I turned it off and cranked it back up on first crank again. Did this 5 more times and tested it this morning...PERFECT!

This was awesome! I'm sooo glad I didn't give the dealership $200 to fix this for me. Thanks to this forum I'm not afraid to work on the bike myself. Cant wait to start riding...finally!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

CAUTION: once you start working on your own bike, you may find that you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER take it to the dealership again. Not only will you find that you enjoy doing things you didn't know you could do, you'll also find you appreciate the bike more when you understand everything better.

Before long, as you become more and more competant, you'll never take it to the dealer because you realize you are more likely to do it correctly, without screwing up something else, than the Dealership.

You've been warned....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrlnjunkie
A Dynojet kit, new spark plug, Soupy's lowering links and rear rack have been ordered.
Did you install the Soupy's lowering links? If so, any thoughts/impressions?

I'm thinking about them.

Thanks.