New KLX250S owner having problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New KLX250S owner having problems

Hey guys, I just picked up a green 2009 KLX250s with 295 miles for $2,900. My girlfriend named it Kiwi-saki..haha.

The bike is a blast to ride, when it will start. I had a Yamaha R6 a few years ago but decided to get the KLX for some 3-5 day DS rides around Texas. But I'm having a problem that's seriously killing my confidence in this bike. This is my first non FI bike so I'm a bit lost.

When I first got home and got it off the truck it would not start at all. After creeping on this forum I found out how to drain the carb bowl and I got it started (took around 5 - 10 cranks). The weird part is after I let it warm up with choke the bike would idle erratically around 1500 (choke off). But then after I ride it for 10-15 min the idle would jump to 3-4k! Then while I'm riding if I don't give it any gas the rpm will drop and the bike will shut off. If I'm lucky it will start up after about 5 min.

I've only had the bike 3 days so it's pretty much stock except for the kickstand switch bypass and I removed the snorkel. A Dynojet kit, new spark plug, Soupy's lowering links and rear rack have been ordered.

Any idea on what my problem is? Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

When I got my bike I really struggled with it's idling - especially when hot. Once I changed the pilot jet to a #38 it was fine though, so I would advise you do that. The Dynojet kit only supplies Main Jet's, not pilot.

When starting her cold, use the choke and do NOT twist the throttle at all - if you do she'll probably flood.
When starting her hot, forget about using the choke, and give her a decent twist of the throttle as you crank the starter over. She should fire up nice and easy (once you have the bigger pilot jet that is).

Hope that solves your problems.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like it has been sitting for a while ( 09 with only 295 miles, low price ).

So my guess would be your jets are clogged up with old bad gas. My bike did the same thing when I bought it. It was a left over 07 and sat at the dealer for quite a while before I picked it up. Ran terrible the first night, sporadic idle, idle would stick off of throttle. I think this actually happens often, these bikes have a really small pilot jet and are set very very lean from the factory. So even from the factory they are hard to start. Throw in some bad gas, and well, you get the idea.

Take it back to the dealer and have them clean the carb, they did it for me in about 20 minutes and it ran like new after that.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

295 miles? That might have some gummed up gas in it...I'm a fan of taking it apart (the carb) and cleaning it thoroughly. Compressed air through the jets works great...don't stick wires in them! Also, you COULD have an intermittant vacuum leak from the sound of your symptoms...make sure those vacuum hoses are all routed correctly and are not kinked, cracked, etc.

It's a great running little bike...you'll love it once you get the problem correctly diagnosed and fixed.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Sounds like it has been sitting for a while ( 09 with only 295 miles, low price ).

So my guess would be your jets are clogged up with old bad gas. My bike did the same thing when I bought it. It was a left over 07 and sat at the dealer for quite a while before I picked it up. Ran terrible the first night, sporadic idle, idle would stick off of throttle. I think this actually happens often, these bikes have a really small pilot jet and are set very very lean from the factory. So even from the factory they are hard to start. Throw in some bad gas, and well, you get the idea.

Take it back to the dealer and have them clean the carb, they did it for me in about 20 minutes and it ran like new after that.
Yeah, that would be my first guess.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Yep sounds like jet problems to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Kiwi-saki? Is your girlfriend an enzedder?!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

"and I removed the snorkel"
that won't help with the how lean it is stock. you might want to toss that back on 'till after you Dynojet it.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 with everyone so far

Disconnect the fuel line to the carb, drain the carb, and spray some carb cleaner down the fuel line to the carb. And you want to do the same down through the air box to the carb. Let it be for 10 minutes and then re-connect the fuel line and try starting the engine up. If it is old fuel, drain the tank and refuel with fresh fuel. And use the old gas in your lawn mower.

Could be problems:
Vacuum leak
Sticking needle slide
Clogged jets
Fuel Float is sticking or not set correctly

Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrlnjunkie
. so it's pretty much stock except for the kickstand switch bypass and I removed the snorkel. A Dynojet kit, new spark plug.
lol.... anyone else find this funny? Thats the definition of 'Not stock" LOL...

Quick Reply: New KLX250S owner having problems