new klx250s owner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new klx250s owner!

You can see in my pics that the Kawi has a slower stablemate with Much lower gearing We have two of those; 1970 Rokon Trailbreakers
The name says it all, they used to be, maybe still are, advertised in the back of hunting magazines. 2wd 2 wheelers, top out around 15 mph I think and are meant for hunters/farmers to get back in the woods etc.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks like a modern version of those old tote goats. My neighbors had one when I was younger and we'd all pile on that thing. Must've had 5 or 6 kids on one at one time - no helmets of course. It was built like a tank, used a Briggs & Straton engine. It was the kind of machine that if it broke down, you could most likely repair it with an old rusty piece of barbed wire

Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

ok doc, what the heck is that other bike in that pic? its pretty funky lookin. never seen a bike like that. whats it for?
Hey EMS
thanks for takin' the bait...It's a 1970 Rokon. They're still made, but not necessarily better. It has a Chrysler Powerbee 820 motor (yes, same as a concrete saw or some go-carts) which is 8hp 2 stroke, geared waaaay down as you can see from the sprockets. They're 2 wheel drive, with a 3 speed suicide-shift trans and centrifugal clutch. No foot controls. Top speed is 20-25 mph depending on how lean you tune it and how brave you are. First gear is good for maybe 4mph wound-out wfo. But, they will pull huge loads-like 1000 lb payload if you can balance it, and 3000lb tow if you can get traction. It has loads of traction though, and you can ride these right through the woods and hardly leave a track due to the light footprint. Most I've pulled with it is about 1000lbs of rock in a trailer. Back seat will hold 2 kids with no problem. Whole bike weighs 180 lbs, and floats. We use them as farm tools, pulling a cart with rocks from our rock farm aka pasture ;-) and haybales, feed, etc. as well as exploring woods, swamps, and dragging out deer or stuck 4 wheelers. These bikes will climb anything you dare try and probably more. Just don't be in a rush to get there! It's a quirky little machine that is useful and fun and requires lots of tinkering.
I thought they made a cute pair in the garage. My other one is OD green/flat black, with ammo-can saddlebags. Looks kinda like a shrunken confused dla 45 military bike.
doc

Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats crazy! id like to take a ride on one of those monsters... looks cool....

Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 PM

First of all, welcome aboard the board!

Hope you are liking the KLX250s, we sure do.

Rokon is cool! Looks like it will go just about anywhere!

Rokon Video

Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

First of all, welcome aboard the board!

Hope you are liking the KLX250s, we sure do.

Rokon is cool! Looks like it will go just about anywhere!

Rokon Video
Hi Marty
yes, I'm loving the KLX. I've put a little over 200 miles on it, mostly on the street and some dirt roads. I'm looking fwd to doing some mods when I get a chance, too. It feels a bit restricted...but actually goes just fine as-is. I don't want to sacrifice much mileage for power, so I'm waiting to see what some folks get as mpg with the mods described on the forum. BTW, did you try that PCV mod yet? sounds like a logical way to help. This is my first dualsport, and first real dirtbike, so it's different enough to make it lots of fun. I'm amazed at how well-balanced it is compared to some of the streetbikes I've owned, and how smooth the world feels when you're riding on 11" of suspension [sm=smiley4.gif]
I wish Kawi made a slightly smaller version, as my wife wants to learn to ride too but this is too tall for her. Maybe I'll get a second one, and put in a lowering link and raise the forks/cut the seat etc. Mine has the 117 dogbones so it's tall.
This board has been a huge source of info, and is one of the major reasons I bought this bike!
thanks
Richard

Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

thats crazy! id like to take a ride on one of those monsters... looks cool....
EMS-yes, they're lots of fun as well as being useful. The new ones aren't bad, just not as much character, and a bit overpriced at 5k for a bike built with aggie tech. That's more than our KLX's which is way more bike. New ones use a Honda or Kohler 4stroke mill, and a 3-range tranny. You have to stop to select a gear range. The old ones are shift on the fly. New ones are about 30lbs heavier too. I keep hoping that one of the big 4 mfr's will make a version of the Rokon, but done right with front and rear hydraulic drive. My inventor buddy says he's going to build one if they don't. But, we have lots of other projects to work on first!
If you're ever in north central Arkansas, let me know and we'll hook up to ride Rokons and KLX's. Or, visit rokonworld.com which is the best forum for Rokons, if you're curious for more.
Richard

Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: neurodoc4u

I wish Kawi made a slightly smaller version, as my wife wants to learn to ride too but this is too tall for her. Maybe I'll get a second one, and put in a lowering link and raise the forks/cut the seat etc.

Hey everyone, I too am new to the forum, havent quite figured out how to do the "quote" thing yet but oh well.

Doc, have you looked at the yamaha xt225 for your wife? It is a good bike with a much lower seat hight, she may be able to fit on one. Its a great beginner bike! I do like my klx better, but thats just mainly cuz of the extra power.

Steve

Old 07-06-2006, 01:33 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: r8d8ter

ORIGINAL: neurodoc4u

I wish Kawi made a slightly smaller version, as my wife wants to learn to ride too but this is too tall for her. Maybe I'll get a second one, and put in a lowering link and raise the forks/cut the seat etc.

Hey everyone, I too am new to the forum, havent quite figured out how to do the "quote" thing yet but oh well.

Doc, have you looked at the yamaha xt225 for your wife? It is a good bike with a much lower seat hight, she may be able to fit on one. Its a great beginner bike! I do like my klx better, but thats just mainly cuz of the extra power.

Steve
Steve-
yes, that's one of the prime candidates. I'm a little concerned about whether it can maintain 65mph or not, as that's how fast everyone seems to drive on the roads around here. It is a bike she likes and it fits her too. We have a Yamaha dealer in town, whereas the Kawasaki dealer is 45 minutes away for the closest one. That would make it simpler too! I guess you've liked your XT225 ok?
thanks
doc

Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I pick up for the wife a brand new Yamaha XT 225 tomorrow, and also getting the muzzy and carb jetted on my bike at the same time. I have also decided that I need to have a little more low end on the trails, so I am going to bump the back gear up to a 45. We'll see what happens. Also I might have mentioned it but on Sunday I went on another ride and the fan actually kicked on a dozen times on the steep trail in first gear,....finally!! I was starting to think something was wrong with the fan or relay. It usually only ran for 15 seconds and then shut back off. I'm glad it works. Later all.