New KLX250 Mistake ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Default New KLX250 Mistake ???

Hi Guys

Just logged on. Have been reading a lot on these pages about the KLX 250. I just bought one and I cant believe that it's got NO power at all. I guess compared to my 220R two stroke
it's just not gonna come close. I'm hoping that after the break-in peroid, it will be somewhat better. That's when I'm going to do the 330 cylinder upgrade with the pumper carb and pipes.
I hope to get some info from you guys that have had a chance to see and feel the changes that these upgrades make to this bike. I have already gained a lot of knowledge from just reading your submissions. Thanks for all the info, and I will keep you updated as I transform my 250KLX into what I hope will be a bike to go thru trails with without any lack of lowend power. I love my KDX220R but it's not street legal. Trails that I ride on are not far from my house, but it's getting to be a pain hauling the bike to and from. I bought the KLX in the hopes of solving that problem. Hope I didnt make a big mistake ??? [align=right][/align]

Old 04-01-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New KLX250 Mistake ???

Welcome

To start, yes, the KLX250 has no ***** compared to a 220 smoker. I just learn to deal and live with it. As for trails, I also have trails located just 10 miles away and enjoy taking the KLX out there every so often. The KLX does turn a few heads when you drive in on just a dirt bike and drive off again once you are done riding. If you haven't, search the fourms. We are always talking about something to do toget the KLX more power. The 330 upgrade is a way to do it too. Just gotta get ready to blow a grand to do it thou (my draw back from it).

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

It'll never be like your kdx even with all the mods....I like kdx's .... just keep the kdx too, mmm the smell of two-smoke oil.

With the above mods I bet you'll be happy with it. Should get ya up to 28hp or so ... and thepumper will make it much more snappy. Besides you will still be able to buy groceries on it or run it at 65 mph for hours an hours with NO maintanence.....lifeis full of compromises.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm very happy with my 06 with 331 conversion. I know a few DRZ pilots who have been disappointed since we've locked horns though. If you enjoy creating something from a good base like the KLX, you have not made a mistake. As mentioned, you will spend a few bucks, but in my book, it's worth it. Enjoy your new bike. It's a good one.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ahhh this sounds all too familiar. No 250 cc 4 stroke will compare to a 250 (220) two smoke. Its not supposed to, its a totally different animal. That's why 125 two strokes are in the same class as a 250 4 and a 250 two, runs with the 450 fours. But listen not very many people went out to buy the KLX 250 thinking it was going to compare. Its all good, do the mods, change the gears and just enjoy the fact that you can go from your house to the streets to the trails, and there isn't anything the cops can do about it. That my friend is worth all the two smokes in the world. Oh and a big welcome to the site man, have fun and hang around for a while. [sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I had a little KLX buyers remorse going on the first week I owned it but after doing most of the mods - I came to love it.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

Welcome

To start, yes, the KLX250 has no ***** compared to a 220 smoker. I just learn to deal and live with it. As for trails, I also have trails located just 10 miles away and enjoy taking the KLX out there every so often. The KLX does turn a few heads when you drive in on just a dirt bike and drive off again once you are done riding. If you haven't, search the fourms. We are always talking about something to do toget the KLX more power. The 330 upgrade is a way to do it too. Just gotta get ready to blow a grand to do it thou (my draw back from it).
Cams, carbie and 331 kit might be a grand .... the 331 kit is $445 + shipping

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 you will have a blast with this bike if you do the free mods- I did mine with less then 50 miles on the clock!
Here is why I love this bike "hey honey I'm going to the bank be back in 1/2 hour" - then skip bank and dive in to local trail- Its great to get in little ride here an there-

Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

hi there,

also remember mine really didn't "wake up" until about 800kms, I noticed a huge difference at about this point.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear Member

i had buyers remorse bigtime also... do yourself a favor and order the 13t cs today. then start thinkin about a pipe and rejet and throw the airbox lid in the bin once u get ur pipe. my bike had a seat of the pants guesstimate gain of 20% power around 500-700 miles so just breakin it in alone will get ya more power.

Quick Reply: New KLX250 Mistake ???