New KLX250 for me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New KLX250 for me!

I just bought a brand new used 2009 with 500 miles on it!

It got everything a 2009 should have : hard starting and the tank recall!

On top of that I noticed a small oil leak from the two case halves in front of the cylinder. I torqued the bolts to spec. It seems to have helped the leak a bit but not totally. I guess that the seal may have dried for not being used at all in two years.

Moreover, the bike sometimes hiccup between 6-7k.

For the mods, I already trimmed the mud flap and installed a new set of grips. I have a Q4, DJ kit and KDX snorkel on order.

When I bought the bike I said to myself : "Yes! A brand new bike! It means that I won't have to thinker on it and will keep it stock".

I was wrong and wrong again!

I'm glad I found this community. There's tons of good infos and resourceful people.

Name:  6e929246.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  261.5 KB

Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

yay
you'll work out the kinks in no time...

Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome...... Sounds like you found a sweet bike that has been neglected by lack of use. You know what to do, go ride and enjoy. There are a gaggle and a half of experienced helpful guys here that will willingly help steer you to solutions for any issues that may come up.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Put in a fresh spark plug.. that may cure your hiccup. Also spend the $50 on the Dynojet kit. It made a huge difference in how mine runs even with the stock pipe. Easier starting, etc... and it too may cure the hiccup if the plug change doesn't.

Welcome!!!!

Rob

Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice find.
Clean out that pilot jet when doing the dynojet kit. If it still is hard starting, look up the "drill enrichment jet to 0.018" mod. It's helped a lot of us. Or learn how to do Deej's famous starting dance.
Welcome to KF!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

just swap to the pumper carb starting issues will go away 100%

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I got my 2009 in October with 1000 miles on it. No recall, leaking valve cover gasket, hard starting. Put 3000 miles on it so far. The PO must have dropped mine alot. Yours looks berry nice.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Dusty - I found myself in the same boat a few weeks ago - bought a 2009 sparkly (green) model with 150km on it. No oil leak but hard to start warm and idle was, well... not an idle. After some fresh fuel and 200km extra it calmed down and purred at idle and starts warm like a champion! I also have the 7k rpm hiccup but with 600km on it now it's loosening up.
Here comes the $6M question - to run-in or not to run-in? Also not sure if it's limited by some method (carby model) - any info would be much appreciated (off topic? Sorry).
Enoy - I freakin love my green donkey.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Green/Red Donkey, that's a perfect name for it!
I love mine too!
Welcome and enjoy the wealth of info, it is invaluable.
If you plan on off road, get a skid plate and some sort of "barkbuster"! Those two items will save you big money and downtime.
I have a 2012 with 6500 miles on it, been rock solid! Only problems - 1)water in the carb (from water crossings off-road), 2) broken starter switch (probably related to crashing off-road, I hot wire it!), 3) loose starter relay(also probably related to off-roading) that probably helped fry my starter switch, plugged it fully in and problem fixed. My point is all my problems were trail side fixable and not really problems just hiccups in the plan. The bike is rock solid dependable.
Enjoy your own green/red donkey!
This is my green/red donkey, there are many like it, but this one is mine....Kawasaki Forums - MaximusPrime's Album: Trail Rides - Picture

Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a grounding mod to fix the stumble at 6500 rpm which I'm about to do. I'd make sure its not your carb causing it first. My bike has always had it, just getting annoying a year later.

Quick Reply: New KLX250 for me!