New KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Default New KLX250

Yesterday I bought a 2020 KLX250 for dirt roads, trail riding and easier off-road riding. I've been riding BMWs and other euro bikes for years so the KLX is a strange, new experience for me. I expect that this forum has all the information that I need and want but digging through all the posts takes lots of time and I'm kind of looking to jump start my KLR experience.
Right away I look at the bike and see things that I believe it needs to make it more off-road worthy: radiator guards, hand guards, skid plate, maybe better handlebars, a rear rack, and possibly lower gearing.
So I'm asking for positive feedback with suggestions for these items (make and source, for instance) and any other ideas and suggestions for my new bike. Once again, I fully understand that all the info that I need is out there but I'm eager to get this thing set up and on the trail and this might be a good way of getting started on the forum.
Oh, to tell you a bit about myself, I'm in my 70s, been riding since 1966, used to race motorcycles (enduros and hare scrambles) and currently ride two BMWs, one of them a F850GS with 50/50 on/off road tires. The 850 is good on dirt roads and easier terrain but it's a big and heavy bike.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:39 PM

you sound like me. i don't know where you live, but i'm in rocky az and don't feel i need a lot of protection except to carry a spare clutch lever. at our age, it's no longer banzai time. farkle it to suit the aesthetic you

Old 08-23-2020, 03:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you used to race enduros why on earth would you want a KLX?

LOL!...no, I get it. Your profile is quite similar to mine in that I'm approaching 70 and used to race my state's enduro circuit for the better part of three decades. I like the KLX for true, outback, remote trail riding. It's more user friendly than a competition bike like a KTM and such in terms of overall durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I'm not racing anymore and don't need 40+ horsepower to achieve my exploration goals...as long as it's enough power.

While I did install a 300 KLX cylinder/piston in mine and install a pumper carb, I found the suspension on my '06 model to be somewhat lacking in quality damping. And while I don't need that 40+ horsepower, I find that poor suspension will get me in trouble more than a lack of power. You have a '20 model, so the carb and such issues are not applicable to you. However, I think you will appreciate a good suspension tweak since you've been exposed to the quality suspension of a good competition bike. I went the Race Tech revalving on both the fork and shock on mine along with springs ideally suited to my weight and riding style. There are some other options, but if you're not just going to ride this bike on the pavement, I think your biggest benefit will come from a suspension tweak.

With your other bikes, I'd think you have little need for the KLX to be a pavement rig. IMO the KLX relatively sucks on pavement if you have it set up for dirt. It's why I recently went back to purchasing an actual pavement bike to fill that gap that I had forgotten that I missed. I will also agree with your observation on the gearing. In the dirt the KLX definitely benefits from lower gearing. I went with 14/50 which is just like the dirt-only KLX300. Some drop to a 13T front sprocket, but I personally don't like what that tight arc does for chain wear. To each his own.

For long off road rides in the hinterlands, I find the small fuel tank to suck. With a carb I was able to install a 3.7 gallon Acerbis. With FI I guess the tank options are zero...perhaps? I agree with your handguards option...always an almost necessary item for even 2-tracks as you'll always find plenty of brush, limbs, and cactus intruding on the trail. Wind protection on cold mornings is a nice benefit too. On rad guards, my Acerbis tank accomplished that, but I think there are options others have found. And yes...better skidplate is a must.

Well, that's my reader's digest version of answers to your questions...LOL!

Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ned37
you sound like me. i don't know where you live, but i'm in rocky az and don't feel i need a lot of protection except to carry a spare clutch lever. at our age, it's no longer banzai time. farkle it to suit the aesthetic you
Originally Posted by TNC
If you used to race enduros why on earth would you want a KLX?
LOL!...no, I get it. Your profile is quite similar to mine in that I'm approaching 70 and used to race my state's enduro circuit for the better part of three decades. I like the KLX for true, outback, remote trail riding. It's more user friendly than a competition bike like a KTM and such in terms of overall durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I'm not racing anymore and don't need 40+ horsepower to achieve my exploration goals...as long as it's enough power.
While I did install a 300 KLX cylinder/piston in mine and install a pumper carb, I found the suspension on my '06 model to be somewhat lacking in quality damping. And while I don't need that 40+ horsepower, I find that poor suspension will get me in trouble more than a lack of power. You have a '20 model, so the carb and such issues are not applicable to you. However, I think you will appreciate a good suspension tweak since you've been exposed to the quality suspension of a good competition bike. I went the Race Tech revalving on both the fork and shock on mine along with springs ideally suited to my weight and riding style. There are some other options, but if you're not just going to ride this bike on the pavement, I think your biggest benefit will come from a suspension tweak.
With your other bikes, I'd think you have little need for the KLX to be a pavement rig. IMO the KLX relatively sucks on pavement if you have it set up for dirt. It's why I recently went back to purchasing an actual pavement bike to fill that gap that I had forgotten that I missed. I will also agree with your observation on the gearing. In the dirt the KLX definitely benefits from lower gearing. I went with 14/50 which is just like the dirt-only KLX300. Some drop to a 13T front sprocket, but I personally don't like what that tight arc does for chain wear. To each his own.
For long off road rides in the hinterlands, I find the small fuel tank to suck. With a carb I was able to install a 3.7 gallon Acerbis. With FI I guess the tank options are zero...perhaps? I agree with your handguards option...always an almost necessary item for even 2-tracks as you'll always find plenty of brush, limbs, and cactus intruding on the trail. Wind protection on cold mornings is a nice benefit too. On rad guards, my Acerbis tank accomplished that, but I think there are options others have found. And yes...better skidplate is a must.
Well, that's my reader's digest version of answers to your questions...LOL!
I was looking at Betas, was close to buying, but decided not to spend 8-10 grand for a play bike. I used to have a Honda CRF260L and thought that the KLX250 would be identical in most ways but apparently not. The Honda seems to have a ton more parts, accessories and information out there as well as more power and a better fit and finish. I'm sure the the Kawasaki will be just fine but at the moment I'm having great difficulty finding accessories, information and the like for the KLX.
Oh, by the way, the only cactus here in NH is on my front window sill.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm
it really sounds like you liked the Honda better..
there are parts and all kind of goodies out there for the KLX you need to look or make a list go for what you want on your bike.. and yes the KLX is a little play bike to just zip around on.. I have a street bike for the road and I think the KLX is just a fun bike that does a good job.. ride and have fun
enjoy your new bike