New KLX owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New KLX owner

I originally had my eye set on a green KLR650 but the odds were against me getting one. They don't exist, my dealer couldn't find anything. So they had the KLX sitting next to hte KLR on the show room from and the more I looked at the more I wanted it. Since my original intentions were for offroad use. I got the bike home and I loved it even more. Can't wait till it stops raining so I can go play some more.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Default RE: New KLX owner

I too was originally in the market for the KLR but decided that playing in the dirt was going to be more fun & more frequent (for me) than long distance trips aboard the 650. So after much searching - and lots of advice from great people on here - I am now the proud owner - as of today!! - of a KLX250. And I may be the first person in all of Canada (maybe even the U.S.) to own a USED one!!! Yup, Westcan decided to move on to bigger bike and agreed to sell me his KLX. Can't wait to get some plates and rip up the dirt.

Thanks again everybody!

Smurph

Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sweet.....get-r-done.

deej

Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: matt2496

I originally had my eye set on a green KLR650 but the odds were against me getting one. They don't exist, my dealer couldn't find anything. So they had the KLX sitting next to hte KLR on the show room from and the more I looked at the more I wanted it. Since my original intentions were for offroad use. I got the bike home and I loved it even more. Can't wait till it stops raining so I can go play some more.

matt2496,

Depending on your type of riding, I think you got the better bike. I own one each of the models you mentioned and they are both great bikes, totally different and both can be fun.

I will say this, I like that KLX250S so much more for riding in dirt. It is much more capable, lighter, has so much better suspension and was created as a dirt bike that can be ridden on the road. The KLR650 is a road bike that can be ridden in the dirt.

That being said, if I'm going on one of my infamous "Day long rides", I normally take the KLR650. One day, a friend of mine that lives about 250 miles away gave a call and we had an adventure. He lives by the Apalachicola National Forest. I rode up in the morning, rode around the forest with him and rode back that night to the tune of 600 plus miles on the bike that day. I don't think the KLX250S is up to that. I don't think I'm up to that on the KLX250S!

In their element, both bikes are excellent dualsport machines, just depends on the conditions.

We had a dualsport gathering up by my friend in January. About 30 dualsport riders showed up. I trailered both bikes up and rode both of them a lot. The KLX250S was the bike of choice for the tight technical stuff, the KLR650 for the long distance touring that we did one day.

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your purchase.

Now, why let a little dampness stop you from riding? Perhaps you should have bought a Harley! [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

If your KLX was sitting next to a KLR on the showrom floor, how could they not exist? Am I missing something? Is it color related or what? Travis
They had a red one on the floor I wanted green(green KLR's don't exist anymore). I'm not planning on doing too many long trips the furthest I'd be going is 40 miles one way. I'd still like to pick up a KLR one day.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 AM

It's nice to have both bikes. i think i'll probably wind up getting a klr or maybe even a ktm in the next few years for doing more adventure travel, but for now the KLX is gonna be lots of fun. Just have to get a trailer now...

Old 04-24-2006, 03:18 PM

I'm going to end up getting a cruiser for the long distance road stuff. I was really looking to getting the vee-strom in case I really wanted a long distance pavement, little dirt play machine, but I will have to choose between this or a cruiser[:@]

Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I'm going to end up getting a cruiser for the long distance road stuff. I was really looking to getting the vee-strom in case I really wanted a long distance pavement, little dirt play machine, but I will have to choose between this or a cruiser[:@]
The KLR650 might meet your needs. I think several here have one, Todd and Marty if I'm not mistaken, perhaps others. I hear it's a nice bike - darn tough. This photo of one is one of my favorites, though I have no idea who's it is:

http://www.friendshuh.com/albums/alb..._034.sized.jpg

Glen Heggstad road one around South America. He was captured by the ELN rebels in Columbia and held captive and tortured for about 5 weeks, but kept on going and finished his ride when he was finally released. He wrote a book about his experiences - Two Wheels Through Terror, if you are interested. A couple years later he used a BMW 650 Dakar to ride around the world - also a nice bike, but a few thousand more expensive than the KLR, not only in initial price but maintenance and parts as well. Glen seemed to mostly like the anti-lock brakes on the BMW, at least that's one of the main points he brings up when comparing the two. I'm pretty sure there will also be a book documenting his recent world trip - he just returned this April.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41699

Quick Reply: New KLX owner