New here - 2006 KLX 250 flooding issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:49 AM
Default New here - 2006 KLX 250 flooding issue

I just bought this KLX 250S as my first bike. The owner told me it had the 300cc kit installed from the dealer, but he was not the original owner.

A few days ago, I accidentally let it fall over on its right side while making an awkward turn. The first day that I rode it, it was great, but I never tipped it over. The second day, it was great until I tipped it. I had only ridden it for maybe 2 hours total since buying it and I expected that I would fall a few times learning to ride. I did not expect however, that I would be pushing it a mile and a half back home after one spill.

I'd really appreciate some advice troubleshooting. I've done some work on cars, I don't know too much about carburetors, but I want to learn. I'll try to include all the details that I can think are relevant.

I'll start with that I know it's flooded. I actually got it running a couple times after the spill but it was definitely hard to start and it would loose power occasionally for a split second and then completely die after a minute or so of riding. Someone stopped to help me and I learned how to bump start it from them. I got it running about 5 or 6 times total and it saved me a good amount of walking.

I have no idea if running it like this is bad for the engine, but I can't imagine it's good. I had Triple A, but it was going to be 3 hours before they could get there and that was not going to work. Anyway, the last time I got it running, I didn't have to bump start it, it started on its own with the electric start and I just let it idle because it seemed to be doing ok. It had a slightly rough or inconsistent idle and after around 5-10 minutes like that it died again.

I got it home and started doing some research. I bought the service manual and my first thought was to take apart the fuel system to see if I could find anything obviously wrong. The rubber lines seemed a little old and I noticed small tears in them while removing them from the petcock. I think I did this, but I'm not positive. I did not have hose pliers, but these were by far the hardest hoses I have ever removed and when I eventually cut off the tip that was previously on the barb the line slid on and off easily.

I also opened up the petcock because I had read some have filter screens that occasionally needed to be cleaned. This one did not. I'll also note that I have been keeping the petcock in the ON position so far. I was under the impression that you only needed to switch it off when transporting the bike.

Anyway, I got the carburetor off, looked inside the enricher and float bowl, and it was super clean. I stopped there because I figured my problem was not there.

This step probably should have been first, but next I checked the oil. I noticed the level was high and I didn't remember it being that high while I inspected it when buying it. When I say high, I mean I had to lean it over at maybe a 10 degree angle from upright to start seeing the bubble. I smelled inside the fill cap and it smelled a little like gas. I had some clean oil to smell as a reference.

Here are some other things I noticed while taking it apart:
- The oil catch reservoir for the airbox was broken off and not plugged
- There was no cover on the top of the airbox
- There was a rubber cap where the breather hose is supposed to go, but the cap was split open
I'm not thinking any of this would be causing my problem, but it was concerning.

At this point, my plan is to change the oil and filter and put the carburetor back in and see how it runs, but I wouldn't have really fixed anything, so I'm thinking the next time I dump it, the same thing will happen.

I'd basically like to know if I'm worrying over nothing, I've destroyed the engine, or if I've got some issues to sort out and how to go about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.