New Handle Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Handle Bars

So i took my first tumble today on the KLX, nothing major a slow speed downhill slide and the bike fell from beneath me. The left side of the handle bar stuck in the ground causing the slight bend.

I Heard the stock bars are not very strong for things like this... as i found out the hard way

Now the time has come to upgrade the handle bars, what size of bar would fit the klx without having the extend any cable etc?

I've rode with renthals in the past on old bikes but do like the idea of pro tapers.

all help is appreciated thanks guys

Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a set of renthals Cr high bar, these appear to have a similar bend height etc as the stock handle bar
I tried to swap the old bars for the new and came across a slight problem, the stock bars have holes in them for the controls to slip into, so they dont twist?

Name:  F2310_zps29a75a73.png
Views: 200
Size:  22.7 KB

how did you guys get around this when you fitted your bars?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 07-28-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I had cr hi pro tapers installed, the answer adapters raised the bars up abit. Cable lengths were acceptable. The wife liked it since the forks could be raised up in the triple clamps which helped on the street but didnt help out off road. The answer adapters space out the handle bar clamping surfaces, which doesn't work out with the Scott's stabilizer, and 7/8" rentals had to go back on to run it.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut the nubs off the controls and wrapped a bit of cloth tape around the bar to provide grip for the controls. Works fine.
DO NOT drill holes in the new bars.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I cut the nubs off the controls and wrapped a bit of cloth tape around the bar to provide grip for the controls. Works fine.
That does seem to be the best option, was just a bit worried about the controls sliding about, great idea with the tape.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

14,000 miles of twisting and riding...never had the controls even move a bit...even on a drop....

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pro Taper KX High Bars

I installed these after I bent my stock bars. All the oem cables and bar parts fit fine with it. Gives you a little more height in the bars when your standing up.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

So I fitted the new bars today everything seems great
I used the tape method to help keep the controls in place, that seems sturdy enough
Although I think I bent the clutch lever as well does any one ride with after market clutch levers and what hand guards do you all recommend?

Thanks guys

Name:  image_zpsf11254b0.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  108.3 KB

Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I just ordered some pro taper se kx high bars a few days ago. I did some research and everyone says these are the highest bars you can fit on our klx's without having to get longer cables. Also ordered some msr bark busters. Im taking a big 2 week trip on my klx and dont want to bend my bars anymore than they already are.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Why not drill holes? If stock bars have holes, why would it cause any harm to drill tiny holes in the new bars so the nubs go into the bars (like they're designed to do)?

Quick Reply: New Handle Bars