New Habit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default New Habit

Well it would seem that I picked up a good habit a few weeks ago. It would seem that because of the fear of being rear ended I have started taping the front break lever enough to actuate the brake light but not the brakes in a series of three on and off and then three on and off until I turn. One of the reasons is obvious, people just don't see you, but the other one is that because of the turn signal mod on the back of my bike, the turn signals are way less noticeable, partly because of being lost into the body of the bike, and partly because of being slightly blocked by the license plate. So I guess I'm just trying to help myself to be more noticeable when slowing and stopping. I heard somewhere that there is a relay or something that will do a blinking brake light every time you use your brake lever, anyone know where I could get one?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Default RE: New Habit

deej,

Good for you!

One of the reasons I don't change the lights on my bikes is for visibility. The little lights that are sold as aftermarket are not that visible to other riders / drivers. I want folks to see that I have my directional on or am using the brakes.

Now, I know it's pricey, but Dual-Star puts out an LED taillight / brakelight combo that is awesome. It will get your attention and can be made to flash. It will fit the KLX250.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

One of the reasons I don't change the lights on my bikes is for visibility. The little lights that are sold as aftermarket are not that visible to other riders / drivers. I want folks to see that I have my directional on or am using the brakes.
My thinking exactly. I met a fellow why riding a few months back and he had a KLR250. I don't know if his blinkers were stock or not but I rode behind him for a ways and through a couple of turn-offs. I really could barely even tell if his blinkers were on or not - they were just not bright at all, like a little 5W bulb or something and they did not get your attention at all. I think our stock blinkers have 23W bulbs in them - that's about half a headlight and they are really bright if you've ever looked at them. Keeping that high visibility has been one of the main reasons I haven't changed mine out.

Now, I know it's pricey, but Dual-Star puts out an LED taillight / brakelight combo that is awesome. It will get your attention and can be made to flash. It will fit the KLX250.
That's the one I have - it's awesome. It does have a dip switch so you can set it to constant on or flashing for a second or two before remaining constant on. I have mine set to flash. Before I got it, I did what Deej is doing and flash the rear brake light a few times not only when I was slowing down to turn, but also when just sitting at a stop light and noticed a car approaching from behind. Just trying to make sure they see me - I've seen too many rear enders on youtube and it scares the bejeebus out of me. [&:]

Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM

+1. As much as I like the look of the flush mount signals I feel more comfortable with the bright stock blinkers. When I'm stopped on a 2 lane black top waiting on oncoming traffic to pass so I can make a left turn and there are vehicles approaching from behind at 60 mph.......this is one situation that always makes me nervous.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty do you have a link?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Nevermind I found it, but I asked this about 6 months ago, will it fit in our after market tail light?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran..._taillight.htm

Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I've developed the habit of flicking my front brake 3-4 times before stopping, too, but I started doing it quite a few years ago.

One of the first mods I did to my bike was to install the Brake! LED taillight which has that automatic blinking capability built-in. It took me a couple weeks, but I had to "unlearn" my manual blinking technique, and just use the brakes for what they were meant to do. I still find myself doing it occassionally, though. (Old habits and bad habits, die hard!)

Old 10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Nevermind I found it, but I asked this about 6 months ago, will it fit in our after market tail light?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Bran..._taillight.htm

Hi Deej,

Todd, Marty and Brian all have them, you just have to turn it upside down and it fits

Cheers

Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus
Hi Deej,

Todd, Marty and Brian all have them, you just have to turn it upside down and it fits

Cheers
I think Deej has the Acerbis tail light now so that's what he's not sure about. Deej, just look at your old OEM tail light, take the lense off and take a peek and comare to your Acerbis. On the OEM, the two screws that hold on the red lense are the same ones that hold on this LED light through those side ears. Compare the two housings and make a guess as to whether it will fit or not.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah forgot about that, I stand corrected