New guy, quick ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New guy, quick ?

Hi everyone, Im new to the KLX 250 and dual sports. I live near Greenville, SC and cant wait to ride in the mountains just as soon as I can get my tag. I have a ?, how can I determine if my bike is a California spec bike or not, I bought it in NE Georgia. I pulled the airbox lid off and now it bogs down when giving fuel quickly.

Thanks for the invite Deej.

Jimntr.......

Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome ... I believe the '09s are all legal in all 50 states. You might be running way too lean ... put that lid back on until you can adjust your jetting.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike is an 07, that is why I am confused. I have read that the 49 state klx 250s were sent running a little rich. I guess that I will just replace the lid until I can get the jet kit and exhaust.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimntr
My bike is an 07, that is why I am confused. I have read that the 49 state klx 250s were sent running a little rich. I guess that I will just replace the lid until I can get the jet kit and exhaust.
Welcome.

Who told you KLX250S's come rich??? They are super lean, if you removed the lid, your bike isn't bogging, its cutting out because it doesn't have anywhere near enough fuel to run on. Put the lid back on. If your going to get a jet kit and exhaust your going to end up pulling the 118 main out of your bike (maybe a 120 even like mine) and putting in a 137.5 or so (depending on the brand of kit you get).

This bike likes gas.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimntr
Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got one. And they all stink. This bike is originally lean.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in northern alberta where the air is dry and thinner ( I have wrked with people from the south an they always complain on how dry it is up here), my bike was a tad rich with stock jetting Had a bog when snapping the throttle during 1-2 gear trails. Fan Never came on even when it is +30 celcius ever, I had to remove the snorkle to get it to run good. Now the fan comes on once and a while. My plug looks great. and there is no lean running chericteristics to the bike at all. I did this on recommendation from my dealership about 1000km's ago.

Ken

Old 08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not a meteorology expert by any means, but I'll try to follow along here.

You live in Canadia, right, Ken? Its colder and drier, which makes the air more dense and would require even more fuel, but you say the air is thinner? Is this a local phenomenon or something? I'm being serious...I actually don't know and now you guys have my curiosity perked.

I could, in some way understand where the OP is coming from being in South Carolina where its super *** muggy, hot and humid, thinning out the Oxygen. But still, even at that.. the KLX is still lean. Maybe if he took the snorkel out?

This thing has me all confused.

I'll tell ya though, when I wash my bike..I'm gonna have to pop the top off the carb and raise the clip on the needle. This muggy weather has the mid range too rich.....freakin crazy.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Our summers are as warm as anywhere else! and yes the air here is dryer which means LESS Oxygen in the air. Yes, you are also right Jason colder air is denser and contains more oxygen than warm air, but the humidity in the air really defines how much oxygen is in the air and how much oxygen goes in your engine.We have no large bodies of water for a 1000 miles in all directions, just small lakes and rivers Our air contains much less water than say California or say Ontario(Canada) those places are Thick air full of water which means LOTS more oxygen per unit of air, Say if it is 30 degrees here I would say for example purposes there is 100 parts oxygen per cubic foot of air, at the same time if it was the same temp on the coast or other large body of water there would be 300-500 parts oxygen in the same cubic foot of air. I hope this helps you understand or it might just confuse you more. and in the winter the air is dryer so dry if you are not used to it you will get nosebleeds from the dry air!

Ken

Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Jason

Muggy, sticky humid will make you run leaner not richer more oxygen per cubic foot of air!! remember water contains oxygen and if it is muggy there is lots of water(oxygen in the air) the oxygen rich air is entering yor engine and during combustion the water breaks dow into oxygen and hydrogen, the engine uses the oxygen for combustion and expells the hydrogen in the exhaust!!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SavageKen
the water breaks dow into oxygen and hydrogen, the engine uses the oxygen for combustion and expells the hydrogen in the exhaust!!
OK, I don't know about the humidity thing, but, there can be no chance hydrogen is coming out the exhaust.
Hydrogen is a very volatile gas.

And welcome to KF Jimntr.

Quick Reply: New guy, quick ?