New guy looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Look at this thread, i did my rejet and it was my first carb work ever... piece of cake... hardest part was gettin the carb off the bike.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8886

Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want a good amount more power, you have to up the displacement.. There's no way around it. I did almost all mods except pumper carb with the 250, and didn't have much difference.

You can jet it and get a full exhaust for $300-500, but then you just have a louder KLX with a tiny bit more power.

If you want real power gain, you're going to need to sell it and get something else, or do exhaust + jet + big bore.

There's really no way to get cheap power on this bike. Well, I think the 351 kit at ~$550'ish is pretty cheap, so I guess it depends on your definition of cheap..

Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
If you want a good amount more power, you have to up the displacement.. There's no way around it. I did almost all mods except pumper carb with the 250, and didn't have much difference.

You can jet it and get a full exhaust for $300-500, but then you just have a louder KLX with a tiny bit more power.

If you want real power gain, you're going to need to sell it and get something else
That's the eventual plan. I really enjoyed the look/feel of the Versys, but since it is my first bike I didnt want to get a 650 parallel twin on fear that I would easily get myself in trouble. So I'm sure after a few seasons I may be looking to upgrade to something that has a bit more go and a fuel tank that will carry me a bit further. Although so far even with it's lack of horsepower I'm still grinning like an idiot when I ride.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry

If you want real power gain, you're going to need to sell it and get something else, or do exhaust + jet + big bore.

There's really no way to get cheap power on this bike. Well, I think the 351 kit at ~$550'ish is pretty cheap, so I guess it depends on your definition of cheap..

I agree totally! There's only soo much you can do to this bike till you're going to want something bigger. If you think you're going to buy a Versy in the near future, then save your penny's and hold off on certain things for your KLX. But if got the cash then spend it hahaha! You only live once!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

There are a ton of upgrades that are not too expensive. FREE: Ditch the air box lid, cut the screen out of the box also, drill the 7/64" hole in the slide and mess with your stock jetting needle.

Not so free: Exhaust, air filter, jet kit, Monster coil.

Mine screams now.

I just got my Monster coil in today, will let ya know if it makes a difference.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:14 AM

So, what about going the other way? I've got a Versys now, about 4k miles my first bike. I want to get a 250 in a couple years so I can hang it on the back of a small truck and haul it all with my RV. How disappointed will I be with the 250? Or, will I be happy that I can blast down forest roads faster than 30MPH, and not really miss the power because I'm not an aggressive rider?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Chuck, the KLX is great in the woods, and a good bike for forrest roads. It's a great commuter, and it does ok on the highway. Everything I have done (in my sig)has improved performance, but not to the point that I would say it "screams" or "it's a whole new bike" etc etc. I don't know how small of a truck you want to hang it off of, but you might be able to hang it off the front of the rv too, sounds like your ready to have some fun.
Dan
Name:  IMG_4696.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  122.5 KB

Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

hey this is probabally a dumb question but the klx250sf is my first new bike i had to break in what exactly do i do other than riding it. im at like 300 miles should i change the oil this early for the first time?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Manual says 0-500 miles do not exceed 4,000 RPM (yeah right).

Then 501-1000 miles do not exceed 6,000 RPM (again, yeah right).

First oil change is 600 miles but it doesn't hurt to change it around 200-300 due to the "new" engine.

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...1&lang_code=EN

I'm only at 175 miles and I've rolled it up to 8,000 RPM.

And congrats on the new 250SF!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

You will get a lot of opinions on this question. What worked for me was the ride it like you stole it method. When I brought the bike home I pulled it off the trailer and let it warm up. I shut the bike off and waited until it was cooled down. I then warmed it back up and rode the **** out of it for a few miles. Brought it home, changed the oil and filter and have riden normal since. I'm due for another oil change but so far have had no issues.

Quick Reply: New guy looking for advice