New guy looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New guy looking for advice

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I just recently picked up a KLX250SF (actually my very first bike), and I'm still breaking it in via the drive it however you typically would method as opposed to the keep it under 4k RPM.

I know it's not quite the exact same bike as the 250S, but I figured since the engines are the same I could look to you folks for some tips on mods to squeeze a bit more juice out of the thing after break-in and when I feel like I'm ready to have more power (I'm playing this very conservatively since I don't want to pull some noob stunt and break myself).

Ideally, the mods would be more towards the cheaper end of things (i.e. not a big bore kit just yet). Additionally, I was wondering what the quietest aftermarket exhaust solution would be? I would like something that was a bit louder, but nothing that will make my ears bleed, or anyone else's around me.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

use the search function of the forum u will find alot of good info that way....

best thing to do is rejet it... less than 70$ if you do it yourself. New air filter take the snorkel out, there is a ton of exhaust options... they are all loud, ive heard almost every pipe for this bike.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
use the search function of the forum u will find alot of good info that way....

best thing to do is rejet it... less than 70$ if you do it yourself. New air filter take the snorkel out, there is a ton of exhaust options... they are all loud, ive heard almost every pipe for this bike.
Loud as in... leaving for work in the morning will anger neighbors?

Additionally, during my previous searches I saw that some use the stock KLX300 exhaust, is this exhaust loud also?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Advice? Collect stamps.

Motorcycling in general, and dual sports in particular are addictive.
There is no turning back.
It will take a significant % of your income.
Total satisfaction is just not possible.
There is always something else.

DON"T DO IT
Unless You are prepared to for significant sacrifice.

Of course there is the unbridled joy it will bring to your life.

But, think about it. Stamps.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Advice? Collect stamps.

Motorcycling in general, and dual sports in particular are addictive.
There is no turning back.
It will take a significant % of your income.
Total satisfaction is just not possible.
There is always something else.

DON"T DO IT
Unless You are prepared to for significant sacrifice.

Of course there is the unbridled joy it will bring to your life.

But, think about it. Stamps.

It was bicycles before for me... so it was just an upsizing and addition of engine. Unfortunately I'm sure you're right, because I already ride any time I can. If it's not going to rain in the morning or afternoon, i ride to work. Otherwise if I get a clear spot in the afternoon, I go out for a ride. Several hours on Saturday are shot too. The funny part is according to my girl I've been particularly happier and less stressed since I started riding... looks like it's great stress relief too.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

any exhaust that is straight through is going to be anger the neighbors loud.... most are not that loud.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the family!

I agree on what EMS_0525 sayed. That's your best bet. As for exhaust system. I think FMF is the quietest in my opinion and they do sound really nice. I only know this from searching for ever on the net on which exhaust system I want to buy for myself lol

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with DS,, I have the two brothers, and its loud, just like the Big gun but the FMF and the HMF seem to be a little quiter.. but I would keep FMF in mind,,,

Simple Jet kit like EMS said, My first jetting experance took me about an hour and half and that was it,, Its really simple... New Air Filter and with pipe and proper jetting im sure you will be pleased....

Welcome to KF

Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a total carb noob, I've only had FI cars that I've worked on and this is definitely the first bike I'm going to work on. Is jetting difficult or do most manufacturers included detailed instructions?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Welcome to the forums Chris, lots of good thoughts above, like was said, jetting and a new pipe will wake up the beast, and throw on a 13-45 set of sprockets, and...well you better be hanging on with both hands.

Quick Reply: New guy looking for advice