New Guy checking in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Guy checking in.

Howdy,

I just picked up my 09 KLX250SF a couple weeks ago. My intent is to use it as a commuter bike here in Las Vegas. I have some old 70's and 80's Hondas and a 74 Hodaka, so I'm not new to riding. I just wanted something new and reliable for the work run. Those old Honda's are great, but I can't get stranded going to work. I've only got about 40 miles on the bike so far and find it a pleasure to ride. The only mod I've done to it so far is the Borrego rack from TCI. I know at some point I'm going to want to uncork it a bit with a slip on and rejetting. I came here to learn how and to see what else I can mod. Sorry for the long first post. Thanks for having me.

Tony

Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike Tony!!! Perfect bike for getting around town.
You'll find plenty of info on here to help you with any mods.
Dan

Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I just sort of stumbled into these supermoto bikes. I was looking for something that caught my fancy. Cruisers didn't do it. Crotch rockets didn't do it, don't care to be all leaned over like that. I happened across a Honda CRF230M, but thought it was a lot of money for not a lot of bike. My searching led me to the KLX. I also like the Yamaha WR250, but it was just too tall. So the KLX was the winner.

I really like it.

Last edited by G19Tony; 12-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Tony - you saw the light a coupple of months after I did ;o)
Supermoto....hmmm....the real fun begins where the black stuff ends !
That is you don't have to be a hard-core off-roader to have fun - but this bike will carry on with you on top when the tarmac ends. And many other road bikes stop.

Uncorking; is it an EFI-version you bought ?
Then it might be more practical to just circumvent the rev-limiter and keep the stock pipe. That'll give you more power especially in 4-5-6 gear for "high-speed cruising" - and you'll still have the stealth of the stock pipe. Which could allow you to sneak through areas where other (loud) bikes would be kicked out ;o)

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same bike. Good for the black top jungle.
An absolute blast to ride.

Off road to me is the sidewalk.

David

Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Jesper, Perhaps uncorking is the wrong terminology. I just may want a few more HP's at some point. I have a carb version. If they made one with FI, I probably would have got it. That's what I liked about the Yamaha.

I think it is the perfect bike for in town riding David, I like how light and quick it is. I've had it up to 55 on the main roads and it still had throttle left. I may not want any engine mods if it is going to be like that.

I just got an HID light kit that I have to get on soon. I believe you can't be lit up enough. Especially here in Vegas. People drive pretty crazy.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

A performance slip-on and a dyno-jet kit add alot to these little bikes, Like 5 or so hp so I'd consider it as it woke mine up alot as stock it was plenty fast but not quick, it's starting to get quick also.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I have seen an indicated 85 mph out of mine. MY spedo is optimistic by 7% according to a portable GPS. Just ride it and have fun.

David

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by G19Tony
I believe you can't be lit up enough. Especially here in Vegas. People drive pretty crazy.
They drive crazy here because THEY are "lit up"! That's why I ride mostly in the desert. For me, paved areas are made to get you to the off-road riding area of the day.

Welcome to the area, though. PM me, and I'll tell you what local forum to join in order to get FANTASTIC discounts on any parts you order, as well as the best tire service and non-factory shop around these parts.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Tony!............. Tony!............... Tony!................ok I got all excited when I saw KLX 250, then I saw Hodaka and well that just threw it over the top. I had a 74 Hodaka back in 1980, it was all chrome and she was a beauty. Anyway welcome to the forums man!

Quick Reply: New Guy checking in.