New to the Forum... But My Videos Aren't

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking you have the older EJK and likely different programming than the new devices that must "play nice" with the O2 (and closed loop operations)..

You certainly could hook the O2 back up, log up about an hour of runtime/ridetime with multiple stops (engine shut downs) , and then START the process of assessing the changes.

Making large changes to EFI fueling and then instantly assessing results should NEVER be done - You're guaranteed to get a flawed assessment.. (The reasons why are beyond the scope of this thread.)

Old 03-24-2020, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Ill hook it back up and give it a try. It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference over time. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Guys, ya'lls EJK is a KLX250 specific unit. The install instructions will specify whether you are to tie into the O2 sensor wiring or , on older EFK's, simply terminate the O2 wiring with the supplied terminators.

All newer EJK's do not have terminators and are set up to work with the O2 - and this should be spelled out in the instructions.

There is really not any guesswork to this..

The guesswork is whether or not the KLX250 EJK can fuel a KLX 351..

Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 AM

Good to know and also good for us to remember there is a ‘learning’ going on with EFI Fueling.

Last edited by SDTRAILGER; 03-24-2020 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Hey all, just a quick update. this particular 351 build is indefinitely on hold. Other mods complete. Great upgrade!

Last edited by SDTRAILGER; 05-04-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Jhiggins, before you install the big valve head on your bike, is there any way you can get your bike on the dyno now that the fmf exhaust has been replaced with the Barker exhaust system?
would like to see some published results for a comparison between the two systems. One with air filter lid on, one with lid off would be nice too.

Last edited by Thunderbutt; 04-28-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunderbutt
Jhiggins, before you install the big valve head on your bike, is there any way you can get your bike on the dyno now that the fmf exhaust has been replaced with the Barker exhaust system?
would like to see some published results for a comparison between the two systems. One with air filter lid on, one with lid off would be nice too.
I will certainly contact my shop to see if we can arrange anything. From the time of the first dyno run, I have gathered some new information. The "6,000 RPM lean spot" seems like an emissions trait programmed into the bike's ECU from Kawasaki. I have heard of stock bore EFI KLX's developing misfires here too. With that information, it seems that, my EJK at least, probably did not have enough fuel added in this RPM range from Dobeck. That's not to say that all of them are like this because I could have gotten an early version of the tune and I also got the bike running pretty smooth with the FMF. Also, apparently, Bill Blue's test bike got an AFR of 13:1 with the FMF setup, that I had previously.

Of course, any input is welcome!
With that being said, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, which I can hopefully explain tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J Higgens
Hello everyone,

I decided to finally post on here, after joining the forum a little bit ago. My name is Jeff, but some of you probably follow me on YouTube "JH Motor Club".

I have the 2018 KLX250 with Bill Blue's 351 big bore kit, KDX Snorkel, Full FMF, and the EJK tuner.
One of my more recent videos was putting the KLX on the dyno, which I see has already been posted on here lol. It provided me an opportunity to assess how the bike was running overall. I learned lots of things and verified some things as well. With this newfound information, I will be pursuing new avenues to improve the bike in the performance category. If you wish to follow along, go ahead and subscribe.

Here is the dyno chart from the run:
Hey welcome, Jeff. Been following your youtube channel. Nice to have a fellow Oregonian on here as well. Your bike is really coming along. Keep us updated!

Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ekim250
Hey welcome, Jeff. Been following your youtube channel. Nice to have a fellow Oregonian on here as well. Your bike is really coming along. Keep us updated!
I appreciate the support! It's always cool to see local guys who I meet from the channel.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey @J Higgens (Jeff). I have a few more thoughts for you to chew on.

We know that porting and cams can take a 351 to approximately 34 hp.Typical porting ( exhaust port bowl, intake port above the valve and intake valve casting streamlining) has typically only been worth about 2hp. 101 Cams are generally worth another 2-3hp.

The choice of cams: Webcams makes 3 performance grinds (631, 101, 55), Beets offers one. Bill Blue once told me the webcams 101 was designed for Larry Roeselers race bike and NOT the KLX250S, So you might talk to him about cam options with a full tilt 351 - while he certainly does have a ported and camed 351, he has no knowledge of how a lidless airbox unleashes big power when re-tuned for the increased airflow (except what I have told him). We have no data on any cam except the 101, so the Beet, 631, and the 55(with high lift springs) are total unknowns. It is not out of the question that lidless + porting + Webcams 55 (with performance valve springs) could set a new "record" for KLX power levels.

Beet offers a replacement injector for fueling the 351. This likely means the stock injector cannot properly fuel a hopped up 351 due to high Duty Cycle.

We all need a detailed report of your PCFC tuning. I know it uses PC5 maps, but I don't know if it interfaces with WinPep 8 (the dyno's software) in order to allow dyno tuning (like the PC5 does).. But we will need the details, as you learn them, on the PCFC..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-02-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum... But My Videos Aren't