New to the Forum and asking advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Default New to the Forum and asking advice

Hello all. I am a new member. Just purchased a 2009 klx 250s few weeks ago getting ready for rejetting (dynojet kit) and purchased a two brothers slip on. Is there a header pipe that fits the 09 from 2 bros? Or are there any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

im not sure but I hear the kx300 header fits but im not totally sure

oh and Welcome to KF!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

no, there is no 2-bros. headpipe. you should've got a full system if you wanted to change out the header. the 300 header is the same identical pipe as the 250, just an inch longer or so. it offers no performance unless you couple it with the 300 muffler which will make just as much power as a 2-bros. slip-on will.
the 250's header won't affect performance that bad until you switch to 300cc or above in which it will suffer from not enough room to breathe out. but make no mistake about it, the header is one of the top three things to yank off the bike and replace as it is very limiting to how much power the bike can be capable of producing. stick to your stock one for now, install the jet kit properly, and add a hi-flo air filter and you'll be amazed.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
no, there is no 2-bros. headpipe. you should've got a full system if you wanted to change out the header. the 300 header is the same identical pipe as the 250, just an inch longer or so. it offers no performance unless you couple it with the 300 muffler which will make just as much power as a 2-bros. slip-on will.
the 250's header won't affect performance that bad until you switch to 300cc or above in which it will suffer from not enough room to breathe out. but make no mistake about it, the header is one of the top three things to yank off the bike and replace as it is very limiting to how much power the bike can be capable of producing. stick to your stock one for now, install the jet kit properly, and add a hi-flo air filter and you'll be amazed.
oh!!! well thanks for backing me up on that dude!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
oh!!! well thanks for backing me up on that dude!!
on what? you basically said that you weren't sure, but thought a header exactly like the one that comes stock on the 250 would fit. it will only fit with the 300 muffler or a slip-on made for the 300.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

just so you're clear, the KLX250S specific slip-ons like the 2-bros., hmf, fmf will not fit the 300 header because that header is longer.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
just so you're clear, the KLX250S specific slip-ons like the 2-bros., hmf, fmf will not fit the 300 header because that header is longer.
So, a cheaper way would be to grab a full klx300 exhaust system and that would equal the performance from an fmf or big gun or whatever slip-on? Rejetting and airbox lid off? Not to threadjack but if you have the airbox lid off, how wet does it have to get before you're drowning the thing? Will heavy rain get to it?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

A couple thoughts to add...

1. Some people report that too big of a head pipe reduces low end torque (bigger isn't always better for header pipes)

2. No, heavy rain won't really affect you much with the airbox lid off... Though, it might result in more roadspray getting onto the filter. There is a more direct path for mud splashes etc to find their way onto the filter element. I'm not totally comfortable running with no lid at all, so I just enlarged the hole to about 2 x 3 inches for easier airflow. It still provides some "splash protection".

Just keep a close eye on your filter cleanliness. Especially after a muddy, wet ride.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kawi Wawi
A couple thoughts to add...

1. Some people report that too big of a head pipe reduces low end torque (bigger isn't always better for header pipes)

2. No, heavy rain won't really affect you much with the airbox lid off... Though, it might result in more roadspray getting onto the filter. There is a more direct path for mud splashes etc to find their way onto the filter element. I'm not totally comfortable running with no lid at all, so I just enlarged the hole to about 2 x 3 inches for easier airflow. It still provides some "splash protection".

Just keep a close eye on your filter cleanliness. Especially after a muddy, wet ride.
I have an extended warranty, and I don't want to void it. I was thinking I could fabricate a sort of cover with a mesh grill to replace the stock cover. Anyone ever do this? It would at least prevent most particulate matter from getting in there, and maybe even a little water spray.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been running without an air box lid for 6000 miles and I've never had moisture in it, and we get 120-140 inches of rain a year, plus I wash my bike like every week, and still nothing. Unless you turn your bike into a green submarine, it will be fine. Oh and take off that drain on the bottom of the air box, that way if you do get water in there it can get back out.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum and asking advice