New Boots and I can't..........

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New Boots and I can't..........

Got these used Alpine stars Tech6 and for the life of me I can't shift anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a way of raising the footshifter and rear brake lever??

I'mgoing back tomy workboots untilI figure this out.........................Man are they uncomfortable!!!

Dave

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Boots and I can't..........

You can raise the shift lever one tyne on the shift shaft, but it's usually too much...
Just break those boots in - you'll get used to it.
You might try soaking the boots in water and wearing them around while you mow the lawn...
Then, after your blisters heal you can go out riding again!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm Thinking of buying these. Dose anyone own a pair of sidi Discovery boots? If so what do you think of them?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride with Oneal shorty boots. I have a lot more ability to move in them. Also easier to shift!
Name:  07-shorty_boots.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  16.2 KB

Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Frank, I use the Discovery's and I love them. Even before break-in, they are easy to walk in. I rode in Oklahoma's Arbuckle mountains two days ago and really had a chance to test their water resistance.
I was on a friend's KTM 300 Diesalot, trying to cross a stream. I stalled it mid stream and of course it didn't have an electric start. I gingerly stepped down, praying that the boot was taller than the water level. It was, by about an inch! It took four kicks to get the KTM to bust off, meanwhile my left boot was planted in about a foot of water. The boot never leaked. Not one drop! Needless to say, if I wasn't sold before, I am now.

Dave at New Enough.com is great to deal with on them too. He nearly always has them in stock.
Tell him I sent you, so he will know his great service is appreciated.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Sidi Discovery boots...... but I was a little disappointed on the ankle protection.....it may be just a personal thing..... overall I give the boots a And I wear them in the sand and street always...period.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea riding boots are really stiff. What I do when I wear them is to wedge the toe section right in between the shifter and the foot peg. then you just swivel your foot and your up shifting. To down shift you actually have to slide your foot out and up to hit the shifter. It just takes practice. Next time you go for a walk, or mow the lawn, wear the boots and before you know it your riding like a pro.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 AM

I hate the way MX boots are so stiff. On the other hand I hate broken ankles even more. I had on what I thought was a good riding boot and broke my ankle in three places. I ride with an oldpair of waterproof street boots that are a lot easier to shift and ride with but I don't think they offer as much protection as my MX boots. If I know I am going to ride hard off road I still put on the MX boots but they are very restrictive.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The Sidi Discoverys are a bit more flexible in the ankle area to allow for more comfortable walking, yet they still provide decent protection overall. For the best protection on the bike, motocross boots rule...but don't try walking home in them.

There are several techniques for shifting with the big boots. Some just use the sole of the boot and hook the shifter to upshift. I prefer to raise my shifter enough to allow my whole boot toe to slip under the shifter, then just lift my foot to tromp to the lower gears. Some of the older Euro bikes required this method of shifting regardless of footwear. It works well and is a very positive way to shift...but like the other methods, it all takes a bit of getting used to.

It's worth whatever you have to do to keep the dawgs from getting smashed.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-02-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info............[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: New Boots and I can't..........