New Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah that works too

Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ron, fit was what I'd classify as "normal". I have a fairly normal foot shape, and the boot was a comfy fit. From reviews and my experience, I would get at least the exact size you normally use, but if you wear a half size...like say 9.5...I'd get the next size up. I don't think they make half sizes from the order catalog I used.

JaMan, I came across those oiled model boots as well as two other similar models but then came across the Adventure model a page or two over. Frankly, I think all four models looked like the same basic design with the exception of gum soles, buckle design, color, and waterproof or not.

Brien, on the break-in, I never found anything to really break-in new MX models but using them. The plastic/armored segments don't seem to react to water soaking for break-in like the old school models.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm still hacking around with the old HiPoints... ah the beauty of an all leather boot in general. They do have plastic in the construction for sure at the ankle and I think possibly the toe, I forget. They served well for a lot of the 70s-80s in MX. Not quite the plastic fantastics of today, but I can wear my enduro version all day and do in the winter. I may eventually take a look at the others out there sometime and those Gaernes look like something I'd definitely consider.

I will say the old HiPoints are still around in the Alpinestar Super Victory, sold as a vintage MX boot. They use a modern buckle now versus the leather tab/post set up. Not sure if that's an improvement, that old set up was pretty bullet proof. Alpinestar's modern dual sport version is the Scout, waterproof. Read a lot of good about them on the ADVrider.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but do you guys have some recommendations on breaking in new boots. I got a pair of Tech 3's last month that I have only wore once. I had a real hard time shifting. Is there anything I can do to help break them in before riding?
How are you finding the tech 3's?
I've heard both good and bad reviews for them.
Quite like the look of them myself, are they a boot you would recommend?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zl PINHEAD lz
How are you finding the tech 3's?
I've heard both good and bad reviews for them.
Quite like the look of them myself, are they a boot you would recommend?
I've only worn them once so far and found them hard to ride in. I've never ridden in motorcycle boots before so they're pretty foreign to me. Plus I think I had them on too tight the first time, which only added to the difficulty in riding in them. I'm working on breaking them in before my next ride which I hope will help.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've only worn them once so far and found them hard to ride in. I've never ridden in motorcycle boots before so they're pretty foreign to me. Plus I think I had them on too tight the first time, which only added to the difficulty in riding in them. I'm working on breaking them in before my next ride which I hope will help.
Don't get too discouraged with the new boots yet. While they'll never become Pacific Crest Trail hiking boots by any means, they will loosen up and become more flexible with some use.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Tech 3's are great boots!!. I have a pair and I love them. Moving to MX boots is a big change. I remember trying to shift with the Moose boots I bought as a first MX boot. I remember thinking " well that was a waste of money, there's no way this will ever work" very frustrating at first.
As far as breaking them in, I wouldn't soak them, or heat them. Three things I did were,,,,, move the shift lever up one spline on the shift shaft to make more room under the lever for you toe ,,,,,, , get used to shifting with more of a whole leg movement, like rockabilly said, and third just ride with them, they will break in some and you will get used to them,,,,,. I was in the exact same boat as you are now.
Dan

Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Those Gaernes look nice. They were my second choice when I was shopping for a similarly-lighter boot. I ended up with the Sidi Adventures (Gore-Tex version). My MX boots are the Sidi Crossfire 2, but they're so damn stiff, they need a lot more use to get broken in!!

Rob

Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of tech 3's a few nights ago.
They arrived today, they look and feel like a good quality boot.
My SMX 5's have started to fall apart after 2 years hence buying the new boot

So i had my first ride with them on and god they are stiff.
Im wearing them now to try and break them in a lil!

Im starting to see what you mean about shifting with your whole leg rather than the foot lol
The soles are solid so even pressing the rear break is difficult, i dont know how much pressure im applying.

A guess wearing them around the house a bit more will help in breaking them in.

Name:  WP_20140529_003_zps8b2700f8.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  73.1 KB

Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Those boots will also go great with your Stormtrooper costume.

Quick Reply: New Boots