new bike decision, KLX250 or DRZ400

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new bike decision, KLX250 or DRZ400

You are going to want more, just try out the klx first and you will know.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input. I have a friend with a DRZ to test ride. Unfortunatly, he has already done considerable mods to it. Here in Helena, there is a dealer that has both Kaw&Suz franchises. However, they rarely ever get the KLX250S on the show room, and usually it is presold. This dealer keeps hinting that I would be better on the DRZ, yet he seems unfamiliar with KLX.That is why I'm doing this independent research.

The point about the 6th gear on the KLX is good. Does anyone know what the 6th gear ratio on the KLX is? How about the 5th on the DRZ?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Well, since this is a KLX board there's obviously going to be a heavy bias. On a DRZ board you'd probably get about the same bias the other way. Nearly everyone will agree that the KLX is a dog as it comes stock. For me, that was fine since I'd been out of riding for a long time when I bought it and starting back in with a relatively tame bike was probably good. But it is pretty easy to open it up - just a simple rejet, drill the vacuum slide port, open up the airbox, and drilling or replace the stock pipe will make the bike much more snappy and fun, not to mention sound better.

I think Finger Mullet's problem is he's bogged down in all that FL sugar sand - you need 50 horses to pull you through that stuff!

While stock power on the KLX is nothing to brag about, it does have some other redeeming qualities like a very good, if a bit soft, modern suspension, e-start, liquid cooled, 6-gear tranny, and a lot of aftermarket parts by virtue of it being so close to the KLX300. And the power issue is pretty easily addressed.

I'm not sure the final ratio of the 6th gear, but when using the stock gearing of 14:42, in 6th gear you can expect 1000 RPMs for every 10 MPH. So 65 MPH corresponds to about 6500 RPM. That's very comfortably in the mid-range so you can do that all day long if you want.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

my friend has a drz and comparing the gearing between the 2 bikes he says that he wants to change the stock gearing as when hes goin a decent speed and lets off on the throttle in 5th the bike wants to put him over the bars...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't like the seat on the drz. the klx seat is wider and more comfortable. Also the seat height is a little lower on the klx which I like being 5 8". More than enough power with the 300 kit and standard mods.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
I think Finger Mullet's problem is he's bogged down in all that FL sugar sand - you need 50 horses to pull you through that stuff!
Hey now, the klx does NOT get bogged down in my sand, it's just not as powerful as I would like I went for a spin in my sand pit after work today and took a pic, I think my sand is a little more loose than most FL sand. I just recommended a more powerful lighter bike because he was an experienced rider...the klx always get me home and I usually have a big smile on my face when I get there. No wheeles in this stuff unless ya got power.

Name:  2-8-07008.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  85.8 KB

Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Hey now, the klx does NOT get bogged down in my sand, it's just not as powerful as I would like I went for a spin in my sand pit after work today and took a pic, I think my sand is a little more loose than most FL sand. I just recommended a more powerful lighter bike because he was an experienced rider...the klx always get me home and I usually have a big smile on my face when I get there. No wheeles in this stuff unless ya got power.

Is that a Trak Master rear? How does it hook up in the sand? What pressure do you normally run in that stuff? And if you run low pressure, do you use rim lock(s)? I'm just trying to prepare myself a bit for the NJ Pine Barrens ride and from what I hear there's mostly sand up there as well, but I doubt it's as much or as deep as what you have there. I love my Trak Master rear for the stuff I ride around here - it hooks up great. I've been thinking about running dual opposing rim locks, though. Not so much that I ride agressively, but rather that I hate flats and I'd like the tires to balance for the higher speed road stuff.

I agree on the power - if you are experienced and big, go for the bigger bore, unless you are OK with doing some fairly significant upgrades on the KLX. All in all, it may be more economical to buy a '450ish bike to begin with and dual sport it. But I doubt I'd choose a DRZ. Nothing personal against them, but they just don't float my boat like the KLX450R or WR or TE or KTM or ....

Old 02-09-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Snipepod,

Tough choice. The KLX250S will not take you to 10,000 ft in stock form. If you modify it to run to altitude, it will no longer be quiet. I'm really disappointed with the power of mine. It's a fun, nimble little monkey, and it looks cool too! I use mine mainly for commuting, and I have fun riding it every day. I've tried some trails in the mountains, and the New Mexico desert sands. I do not have the power (or proper gear ratio) for either. I've had fun doing the smog/carb/exhaust mods and have more mods planned (78mm jug and 14/48 gearing). I've already thrown $500 at it and my future plans will eat up another $600 or so (with me providing the labor). Personally, I don't like the looks of the DRZ400. If I was shopping right now, I would start with the KTM450EXC (which weighs 12 pounds less than the KLX). I don't know how quiet it is or is not, but that's where I would start. I'm still a little chapped that I had to modify my brand new bike just to get it to pull me up a mountain forest road. The suspension is a little soft (I've adjusted it for max) for my 205 lb frame, luckily I don't go very fast or try any jumps. I really like the looks of my little bike, but if they would have let me test drive it I would not have bought it.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Is that a Trak Master rear? How does it hook up in the sand? What pressure do you normally run in that stuff? And if you run low pressure, do you use rim lock(s)? I'm just trying to prepare myself a bit for the NJ Pine Barrens ride and from what I hear there's mostly sand up there as well, but I doubt it's as much or as deep as what you have there. I love my Trak Master rear for the stuff I ride around here - it hooks up great. I've been thinking about running dual opposing rim locks, though. Not so much that I ride agressively, but rather that I hate flats and I'd like the tires to balance for the higher speed road stuff.
Damn thats a lot of questions Brian.

Yup I'm currently spinning a TM II 120, it hooks up just fine in the sand, a few of my riding buds are using 110s (not TMs) and do just fine in the soft stuff...... I will try a 110 for my next tire so I can get that extra little umph by spinning a slightly smaller tire

IMHO don't bother on rim locks on our bike....... lots of folks that ride hardcore down here are spinning tires with 15- 18 psi (no lock reqd) ....... I usually run about 17 psi w/no lock......... I tried running less pressure and the gain did not appear to be worth the hassel.....again just my opinion.

As far as your trip is concerned, find some really soft sand and practice..... its tough the first few times. Trust me. But once mastered you can ride anything.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

Snipepod,

Tough choice. The KLX250S will not take you to 10,000 ft in stock form. If you modify it to run to altitude, it will no longer be quiet. I'm really disappointed with the power of mine. It's a fun, nimble little monkey, and it looks cool too! I use mine mainly for commuting, and I have fun riding it every day. I've tried some trails in the mountains, and the New Mexico desert sands. I do not have the power (or proper gear ratio) for either. I've had fun doing the smog/carb/exhaust mods and have more mods planned (78mm jug and 14/48 gearing). I've already thrown $500 at it and my future plans will eat up another $600 or so (with me providing the labor). Personally, I don't like the looks of the DRZ400. If I was shopping right now, I would start with the KTM450EXC (which weighs 12 pounds less than the KLX). I don't know how quiet it is or is not, but that's where I would start. I'm still a little chapped that I had to modify my brand new bike just to get it to pull me up a mountain forest road. The suspension is a little soft (I've adjusted it for max) for my 205 lb frame, luckily I don't go very fast or try any jumps. I really like the looks of my little bike, but if they would have let me test drive it I would not have bought it.
Same here!

Quick Reply: new bike decision, KLX250 or DRZ400