NEW 2012 KLX250S owner & build!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 03:24 AM
Default NEW 2012 KLX250S owner & build!

Just picked up a 2012 KLX250S with 2,100 miles on it. The bike is in really good condition and so far on the two quick trips I took it on, I really like this bike!
It has quite a few upgrades.....
Warp Supermoto wheels, also comes with the factory S wheels w/ Motoz Tractinator tires
Yoshimura slip on exhaust
Cycra Handguards
Renthal handlebars
Rear fender eliminator kit
Flush mount turn signals

Looking to build a dual sport supermoto! I want to build a KLX200 style bike, so basically a mix of a KLX250 & a TW200!!

Future upgrades.....
Kenda 244 tires on my supermoto wheels, 3.00-17 & 4.60-17
Rear Rack and side panniers
Protaper 1 1/8 CR Hi bars
13 tooth front sprocket
Head pipe
I am sure I will find more upgrades I want as I progress through my build.

Here’s a pic of the day I bought my bike.

Last edited by Mykdee; 10-18-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:57 PM

So I am trying to order some parts for my bike and I am a little confused about the front brake setup? So, I know that it is obviously no longer the factory S setup, but was wondering if it still has the original caliper and just the SF bracket or is everything changed on my bike? Here are a few pics of the caliper setup I have, just want to make sure I order the right brake pads.
Thanks

Last edited by Mykdee; 10-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I would venture to say that is the petal cut SF rotor and they used the bolt on SF caliper carrier. I looked at doing the same thing to install a larger rotor on the front of my S, but decided against it since even the stock brake is two fingers strong before any pad or line changes.

I don't quite get why you want to bog the bike down with the oversize tires required by the wide 17" rims when you have a set of good wheels for dual sport in the best sizes for the bike. If it was a 450 or 500 the big tires would make sense, but with less than 30 hp adding all that rotating mass will chew up a fair amount of power alone, then add in the traction overkill and there goes more of the power. The 450 motocross bikes don't run tires that wide.

I know most riders put fat tires on bikes because they like the looks, but I just want you to know the big tires will slow the bike down both in acceleration and handling. Off road the proven combination for it is a 21/18 wheel set, same as used on most off road bikes that are not motocrossers, which use a 19 rear. The street tires are another story, but also too big there can do the same. The SF runs 110/70 and 130/70, appropriate sizes. The Ninja 400 with more power only runs a 150/60 rear tire, same size front and the serious performance Ninja 400 riders/racers are installing 140/70 tire on them for better handling.

But whatever trips your trigger is peachy and all that matters. Take what you learn, think what you like, and pick what you want. It is up to you, no one else. Here was my choice on the 21/18 wheels. I downsized my rear tire from a 120/80 to a 4.10 (around a 100/90) on my 09 S because won't bog as readily in sand/mud terrain, will spin up when wanted, wears as well as the wider tire, and costs near $20 less - plus aesthetically gives a more MX look to the bike. Tough part was I have to run a 90/90 front tire where I'd prefer an 80/100, but the tires I run don't do that small for the front. I chose what very few do, going narrower on the rear. Decision from knowledge and experience. If I rode a lot of rocks I might go to the fatter tire for more cushion, but I don't.

Key warning, just stay within sizes appropriate for the rim width, from there do as you wish. After all, you want to look back and smile as you walk away from your bike.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by klx678
I would venture to say that is the petal cut SF rotor and they used the bolt on SF caliper carrier. I looked at doing the same thing to install a larger rotor on the front of my S, but decided against it since even the stock brake is two fingers strong before any pad or line changes.

I don't quite get why you want to bog the bike down with the oversize tires required by the wide 17" rims when you have a set of good wheels for dual sport in the best sizes for the bike. If it was a 450 or 500 the big tires would make sense, but with less than 30 hp adding all that rotating mass will chew up a fair amount of power alone, then add in the traction overkill and there goes more of the power. The 450 motocross bikes don't run tires that wide.

I know most riders put fat tires on bikes because they like the looks, but I just want you to know the big tires will slow the bike down both in acceleration and handling. Off road the proven combination for it is a 21/18 wheel set, same as used on most off road bikes that are not motocrossers, which use a 19 rear. The street tires are another story, but also too big there can do the same. The SF runs 110/70 and 130/70, appropriate sizes. The Ninja 400 with more power only runs a 150/60 rear tire, same size front and the serious performance Ninja 400 riders/racers are installing 140/70 tire on them for better handling.

But whatever trips your trigger is peachy and all that matters. Take what you learn, think what you like, and pick what you want. It is up to you, no one else. Here was my choice on the 21/18 wheels. I downsized my rear tire from a 120/80 to a 4.10 (around a 100/90) on my 09 S because won't bog as readily in sand/mud terrain, will spin up when wanted, wears as well as the wider tire, and costs near $20 less - plus aesthetically gives a more MX look to the bike. Tough part was I have to run a 90/90 front tire where I'd prefer an 80/100, but the tires I run don't do that small for the front. I chose what very few do, going narrower on the rear. Decision from knowledge and experience. If I rode a lot of rocks I might go to the fatter tire for more cushion, but I don't.

Key warning, just stay within sizes appropriate for the rim width, from there do as you wish. After all, you want to look back and smile as you walk away from your bike.

Well actually, my intent when I bought it was to just throw the factory S dirt wheels and tires that came with it, back on it and sell the Supermoto setup. But when I got it home I realized that the previous owner swapped out the brake rotor bracket to an SF and I can not find a factory S caliper bracket anywhere! So I than decided to just throw some 50/50 tires on the Supermoto wheels.

But.... after a little research I just realized I could just swap the SF rotor onto the factory S front rim and put the S rotor on the Supermoto wheels and than sell it that way. That might actually be a better way to sell the Supermoto setup, because than a buyer looking to get a supermoto setup on a S model will not have to swap over to the bigger brake setup!

So with that being said, I might have a supermoto setup for sale!

Old 10-20-2021, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

S size front brake rotors are relatively inexpensive. Virtually all KLX250R-300R-250S rotors will work along with some MX rotors. I got an extra rotor for my 09 KLX250, it presently has a KLX300R rotor on it, marked on it when I got the bike, the previous owner had two sets of wheels and sold the other set that had the petal cut rotors. No big deal, both are same size, just slotted vs petal cut and drilled. The used one I got was $20 including shipping on ebay, usually some are around $30.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:02 PM

S size front brake rotors are relatively inexpensive. Virtually all KLX250R-300R-250S rotors will work along with some MX rotors. I got an extra rotor for my 09 KLX250, it presently has a KLX300R rotor on it, marked on it when I got the bike, the previous owner had two sets of wheels and sold the other set that had the petal cut rotors. No big deal, both are same size, just slotted vs petal cut and drilled. The used one I got was $20 including shipping on ebay, usually some are around $30.
Its not the brake rotor that is the problem, my S wheels have the front S rotor on them. Its finding the factory S caliper bracket to return it back to S front brake setup. I can not find a S bracket anywhere.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mykdee
Its not the brake rotor that is the problem, my S wheels have the front S rotor on them. Its finding the factory S caliper bracket to return it back to S front brake setup. I can not find a S bracket anywhere.
Go to this listing on ebay, has the caliper and carrier bracket from a 2014 for $26 plus shipping click here That bracket was used on all KLX250S from 2009 up.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:16 PM

Go to this listing on ebay, has the caliper and carrier bracket from a 2014 for $26 plus shipping click here That bracket was used on all KLX250S from 2009 up.
Thank you!! I swear I looked on Ebay and could not find one.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to help. Who knows when that one was listed. It's usually hit and miss on used parts for sure. Luck of the draw. There was only that one and I think a whole brake system for about twice the price.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I have my original front caliper and mounting bracket off of my '12S.
If you're interested in it, pm me and we should be able to get it to you.
I went with an SF rotor on mine because I liked the extra front bite it provided.
I find that even more important for me now because I can't use my rear brake-lost my rt. leg 6 years ago.

Quick Reply: NEW 2012 KLX250S owner & build!