Needle washer size from Dynojet kit size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Needle washer size from Dynojet kit size?

Yes, I lost one of them :-) I'll look later and maybe I'll find it but:

Anybody know the size of the washer that goes on top of the needle clip on the DynoJet kits? I may not even need it but like to have if needed.

I called DynoJet and they did not know off hand but can find out later, They do sell them for .10 cents each BUT with th 9.00 shipping charge, Darn all they have to to is put 10 of them in an envelope with a 44 cent stamp :-).

Why do companies do this to us???????????? Without us customers companies will not exist, sorry I need to vent .

There all done now--:-)

Thanks!!

Stashu

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you look in the top of your slide? Mine fell down in there and had to be rescued.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I measure mine at 0.021 THK / .234 OD / .134 ID

Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply on measurements and idea of lost in space "slide" I'll look inside to see if it's in there :-)

Thanks

stashu

Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The kit had 3 washers in it and only reccomended to use 2 of the so someone has a spare. Also if you take one to a hardware store it should be easily matched for pennies.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
The kit had 3 washers in it and only reccomended to use 2 of the so someone has a spare. Also if you take one to a hardware store it should be easily matched for pennies.
You know........... the washers have been discussed in other threads, but this looks like a good place to talk about it a little more.

On my DRZ the DJ kit came with only one washer to be used as a 1/2 step under the clip for fine tuning. In the diagram they show it basically "stored" on top of the clip where it does nothing to change the tune. The needle holder you put in on top of the DRZ carb has a spring in the end of it and "snaps" in. The washer doesn't really even need to be there for everything to work correctly.

Now to my 09 KLX needle install...............

The needle holder for the KLX has no spring and DJ gave you two washers to put on top of the needle to take up the space that the stock needle has........ and the DJ needle doesn't have. I assume the 3rd washer supplied serves the same purpose as the one washer in the DRZ kit. 1/2 step adjustment, however it says nothing about that in the instructions, or anything about the 3rd washer.
I found it difficult to stack the two washers on top of the needle (they fell into the top of the slide very easily) so I moved the clip towards the top of the needle one notch and installed the washers under the clip. Once the needle was in, and the plastic needle holder installed the needle was still very loose IMO. I put the 3rd washer on top of the clip to take up a little more space, put the plastic holder back in and the needle was nice and tight. The holder fit nicely too. If I wanted to raise the needle by a 1/2 step from it's current location I would move the 3rd washer under the clip with the other two.
I'm no expert but the bike runs very well once I got the washers all sorted out, and all the slop taken out between the needle and needle holder.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea I used all three washers also but I did because I'm a lazy idiot who pays little attention to directions because i think I know everything. By the way my bike runs great.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I also used the 3 washers. The instructions diagram shows 2 washers but they supply 3. The instructions stated to install the washers supplied. When I stacked up the 3 washers on the needle the distance the needle extended past the washers looked about the same as the little needle daimeter bump on the stock needle.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

It's funny how little, companies like DJ, do to really "make it easy" and work "exactly right"
They print out some basic instructions that "generally" work for most of their product applications and leave the rest up to you. 70 bucks for 10 cents worth of brass and some machine work done in Taiwan.

At some point someone figures out two washers aren't really enough, and there should be 3 washers.......... So they throw an extra one in the kit, but never change the instructions. It makes me crazy.