Need some help picking bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need some help picking bars

ORIGINAL: KLXer

CR highs are straighter.How straight do you want?
I'm not too sure actually. I know that there's a sticky on Thumpertalk.com in which the thread poster reccomends YZ highs over CR highs for offroading.

What are the benefits and detriments of having straighter bars? Is it similar to the rake angle, in that more = easier cruising, and less = more precise turning?

I just know that the stock bars are WAY too bent. I jumped off of the KLX and onto an XR100, a YZ85, and a 200SX, and realized that the bars were a tonne more comfortable to me.

Tried to figure out why and I noticed that the bars were straighter.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got over the very same dilemma.
After deliberating and looking at dozens of bars I went with the Pro Taper CR High Contour Bars (I wanted the EVO series bars but the bike shop didn’t carry them).

Now after putting about a hundred or so miles on these bars I am very happy, they are a tiny bit straighter, taller and about ½” wider then the stock bars, the biggest advantage is that I was able to mount my GPS dead center in a more incon****uous place on the bars.

I also couldn’t believe how heavy the OEM pot-metal bars are.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the moose atv raptor bend bars on the klx. The moose backbusters fit good with that bar too.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I just got over the very same dilemma.
After deliberating and looking at dozens of bars I went with the Pro Taper CR High Contour Bars (I wanted the EVO series bars but the bike shop didn’t carry them).

Now after putting about a hundred or so miles on these bars I am very happy, they are a tiny bit straighter, taller and about ½” wider then the stock bars, the biggest advantage is that I was able to mount my GPS dead center in a more incon****uous place on the bars.

I also couldn’t believe how heavy the OEM pot-metal bars are.
Well then, I know the CR highs are not for me.

I want bars that aren't as wide as the stockers. 29" is what i'm shooting for, I don't want to have to cut a brand new set of bars out of the box.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

You will be hard pressed to fit a set you do not have to cut for that width.

My CR Highs:

Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

You will be hard pressed to fit a set you do not have to cut for that width.

My CR Highs:

Renthal yz80 bend comes 29 in wide. They look like they'd bee too tall though, considering that i'm only 5' 9" and only need a bit more height on the bars.

Seeing a pic of the CR Highs really helps though, thanks

That actually seems plenty straight. Can you get a comparison pic with them next to the stock bars?

Are those the Moose competition bars? How have they held up so far? Do they help at all with vibrations?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I had pics that showed them directly compared to stock & also some with KX highs (the KX highs have more sweep than CR highs) but I deleted them in the "rapture". The text is probably still here if you search.

They are Renthals.

I basically never rode with the stock bars, just the test drive, so I can't say, but in general aluminum bars help to cut vibes.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

God dammit, I feel so stupid now. Didn't notice the bar pad reading "renthal" :P.

Anywho, those aren't the twinwalls, are they? Those cost a ****ing arm and a leg!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope just regular.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i put the regular renthals on my klx also. i had to grind off that little plastic "****" inside of the turn signal box and start switch box. those stock handlebars are ridiculous with plugs in the end and indents for the two boxes. there must be a lawyer somewhere that suggested these ideas.

Quick Reply: Need some help picking bars