Need some help picking bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need some help picking bars

Looking at getting a new set of bars to replace the stock ones soon, and i'm having a hard time figuring which bend to get.

I know you folks all run the CR High bend, but i'm trying to find something with less sweep angle (IE straighter), prefferably aluminium (anything to make the bear of a front end move quicker is worth it in my book), and maybe just a smidge bit higher.

Searching the boards hasn't turned anything along those lines.

How pleased are you folks with your moose bars? I had a TTR with Renthals, but i'm finding Renthals to be just a SMIDGE bit too expensive.

EDIT: Hmm, which do you folks think would be more beneficial in the woods? I assumed straighter would give you greater precision and comfort, but i'm thinking otherwise now...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need some help picking bars

I'm getting the Renthal Charmichael/Windham bend, which is kind of a happy medium. No as much sweep as the CR high, but not super straight either. Also, it's just high enough for my liking, but not as high as the Raptor bend.

I dunno, bars area very personal thing. I've noticed quite a few people in this forum are happy with the Raptor bend becuase they're more comfortable when standing up. Iguess it depends upon what's important to you.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

How do you go about figuring out what works best for you?

I can't really just take the bike to a shop and have them throw on all the bars I think "look" like they might please me :P

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think it's an exact science. You might want to mentally note what you don't like about your current bars while you'reriding in your usual places, write that down when you get home then shop based upon that.

SorryI cantbe more helpful. Maybe there is someone in this forum that is moreup-to-speed with ergo's than I am.[8D]

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

How do you go about figuring out what works best for you?

I can't really just take the bike to a shop and have them throw on all the bars I think "look" like they might please me :P

Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, it just always seems to feel like i'm constantly having to yank myself TOWARDS the bars, and that i'm not getting as much leverage on them as straight bars seem to offer.

I assumed the first bit was because of the height (too low), and that the second was because of the sweep (too much).

Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you tried to rotate your current bars forward in the triple clamp? This would move the rearword sweep upward and might help both of your issues.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

CR highs are straighter.How straight do you want?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, I'm glad you jumped-in. Talk to the man, Sinko. He knows his bars.

ORIGINAL: KLXer

CR highs are straighter.How straight do you want?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I have read a few posts that speak highly of the Protaper KX HI bars. At under $70 they seem like a good value compared to Renthal bars. Shopping on-line is a bit hard though because reading a spec doesn't translate well for me into a riding experience.

I find the "sweep" to be good for me and the height is fine when sitting. However, standing the bars are way too low. I stand on the street to avoid rocks and other debris when people pass me illegally and kick up the stuff between the lanes or in the middle turn lane (I don't drive 15MPH over the speed limit so, aggressive drivers do really stupid things around me on the motorcycle they don't do when I'm in my land yacht).

I want to mount my Acerbis hand guards so, I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and put new bars on.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

A good place to start is http://www.rockymountainatv.com/handlebarinfo.do. If the link doesn't work you can go to their homepage and on the lower left hand side, under "terms and info", there is the link to handlebar info. There is a diagram that shows bar measurements. I suggest that you measure the stock bars, and then decide which measurement you want different. Their "Tusk" house brand aluminum bars are nicely priced, but you won't have many choices in the "pull back" category.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need some help picking bars