Need some help from the FCR guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need some help from the FCR guys

Hey where can I get a jet for a keihin cvk34 carb I need a 35 pilot. any info? thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Try calling your local dealers. I have had good luck with some independent shops. The CVK is a popular carb on many street bike applications. My experience is if you can find a dealer that stocks extra jets they are usually at a fair price. If the dealer has to order just one for you they are usually ridiculously high priced.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks man. I will have to go there on tuesday when they open back up since they are closed here sundays and Mondays. I guess I will have to wait a few days. Is that adjustable air screw really worth me getting or should I just get a pilot and not worry about it mate?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

AgoosSS, What does the screw inside the bell mouth actualy do? And has anyone found a way to acuratly check the pilot circuit on the 250s? There is no way to get an extended screw with the starter there so you can't turn it with the motor running.

For the most part the bike runs pretty good. I am trying to get rid of an off idle bog. Its basicaly when your almost stopped in first or second and whack the throttle there is a bog until it picks up and then hold on.

I did do the taffy mod with an adjustable screw set up(I'll put pics in a different post) I turned it so there was no AP squirt and then went through the rangeto full squirt. There were some spots inbetween where it ran better but no where in the range did the bog go away. I am guessing that something in the pilot circuit needs to be changed. I am just not sure what.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

AgoosSS, What does the screw inside the bell mouth actualy do? And has anyone found a way to acuratly check the pilot circuit on the 250s? There is no way to get an extended screw with the starter there so you can't turn it with the motor running.

For the most part the bike runs pretty good. I am trying to get rid of an off idle bog. Its basicaly when your almost stopped in first or second and whack the throttle there is a bog until it picks up and then hold on.

I did do the taffy mod with an adjustable screw set up(I'll put pics in a different post) I turned it so there was no AP squirt and then went through the rangeto full squirt. There were some spots inbetween where it ran better but no where in the range did the bog go away. I am guessing that something in the pilot circuit needs to be changed. I am just not sure what.
I know I don't know enough about them to try and give you an answer on those.However, I don't think you need to mess with them to solve your problems. Ibelieve when I first got mine Jerry told me I shouldn't have to touch them.

It definitely sounds like you need to get your pilot circuit squared away before you go any further. I also find it best to get the pilot circuit set before doing the taffy mod. You need to find something to turn the screw with the bike running. Motion Pro makes a 90 degree 1/4" drive hex tool for adjusting carbs that might work depending on how much room you have. It is expensive but if it works would be well worth it to me. Also Kuba Link makes a fuel screw extension that attaches to the stock screw that may also work if you have enough room.

As a last ditch effort you can try going with one size smaller or so on the pilot jet and set the fuel screw at about 1.5 to 1.75 turns out and see what that does. That may be safe as Jerry sets them up a tad rich to be safe. Again the sure fire way to get the pilot set is the procedure I posted earlier if you can get it done. Also I would not mess with the needleor main jet settingsuntil you get the pilot circuit set.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

There is very little clearance from the starter to the hole where the fuel screw is. I may get an extended fuel screw and see if I can machine it down until it would work.

I thought I remember Eddie at TT saying that by turning one of the screws it was like changing the pilot. He recomended to just turn the screw instead of buying new pilots. I would think it would be the one in the bell mouth. If this is true I don't know what way to turn it to make it seem like it is a bigger or smaller pilot.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

There is very little clearance from the starter to the hole where the fuel screw is. I may get an extended fuel screw and see if I can machine it down until it would work.

I thought I remember Eddie at TT saying that by turning one of the screws it was like changing the pilot. He recomended to just turn the screw instead of buying new pilots. I would think it would be the one in the bell mouth. If this is true I don't know what way to turn it to make it seem like it is a bigger or smaller pilot.
You got me on that one, I don't know. If you find out let us know.

From your photo the Motion Pro tool may not work but that Kouba Link screw extension may work. I guess there is one disadvantage to the e-start. I still wish I had one though.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

try this http://www.magicracing.com/RD-Keihin...p_80-5182.html