Need to order a ton of parts! Help me get the best!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Need to order a ton of parts! Help me get the best!

Finally decided to just go all out for my bike and am trying to compile a list of parts to order and where to get them from the cheapest. Also have a few brands that I'm juggling for the oil filter and air filter.

A Little About My Bike:
Just bought a 2006 Klx250s. Came with a HMF slip on pipe. Not happy with the power, plastic is pretty beat up and looking to redo it with vinyl wrap. Also, I know some parts are interchangeable with the newer klx 250s models, some minor clarification about this would be nice.

-New Rear fender and tail light assembly
-Air Filter(either Twin air, K&N, or Uni. Haven't decided which yet, any advice appreciated)
-Oil Filter
-New handlebar grips
-New tires (thinking about Dunlop D606's)
-Jet Kit
-351 Big Bore Kit
-Exhaust headers
-Speedometer doesn't work, want to buy some sort of GPS speedometer unit and get some kind of mount for the handlebars
-New throttle and handlebar grips
-Service/Owner Manual for bike(would like to download it if its online somewhere

All suggestions, advice, and tips are appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can't find the owners manual and shop manual on line, PM me with your email and I'll send them.

A lot of dirt riders dislike the K&N filter, claiming it only catches gravel. I dunno. Opinions are like arsholes...everyone else's stinks but mine

If you ride street, especially at night, don't skimp for a little tail light. Deej has an old thread with a replacement led blinking unit designed for the KLR but that fits in our bikes. Be seen.

351...I'm jealous of all of you picking one up. It's a must do!

Check out the TrailTech Vapor speedo. It's cool.

Tires? What kind of terrain will you be riding, and how often?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If you can't find the owners manual and shop manual on line, PM me with your email and I'll send them.

A lot of dirt riders dislike the K&N filter, claiming it only catches gravel. I dunno. Opinions are like arsholes...everyone else's stinks but mine

If you ride street, especially at night, don't skimp for a little tail light. Deej has an old thread with a replacement led blinking unit designed for the KLR but that fits in our bikes. Be seen.

351...I'm jealous of all of you picking one up. It's a must do!

Check out the TrailTech Vapor speedo. It's cool.

Tires? What kind of terrain will you be riding, and how often?
I'll be riding on the road most of the time, with the occasional trail ride or ride in the fields. I'm thinking about just going with the twin air filter. I need to find out where to order that 351 kit. Does the trailtech Vapor Speedo use the bikes stock sensor? Or does it get a GPS reading? Thanks for your help. I need to find that LED tail light too, I bent my bracket.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Finally decided to just go all out for my bike and am trying to compile a list of parts to order and where to get them from the cheapest. Also have a few brands that I'm juggling for the oil filter and air filter.
Good stuff. Here are my suggestions/opinions/links to try help out.

plastic is pretty beat up and looking to redo it with vinyl wrap.
Pfft, why bother - it's a dirt bike, its scars are what make it pretty

DRC Edge2 Tail light assembly - Wheeling Cycle Supply - KLX250 Specials | Electrical

-Air Filter(either Twin air, K&N, or Uni. Haven't decided which yet, any advice appreciated)
K&N will breath better, but that's coz it is filtering less which may be fine in the city but not offroad. I have Twinair filters and rate them.

-Oil Filter
I've been using paper filters up to now - Tusk brand bought off Rocky Mountain ATV (Tusk First Line Oil Filter | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC) - but when I finish the batch of paper filters I have I will be going to a stainless steel filter. There are arguments for and against both types, but I have a stainless steel one in my other bike and it makes life easy. I believe the Moose ones are pretty decent: MOOSE STAINLESS STEEL OIL FILTER KAWASAKI KLX250 KLX300 (eBay item 270542593343 end time 30-Jun-11 12:58:37 AEST) : eBay Motors

-New handlebar grips
Pro Taper Pillow MX grips - simply the BEST! (Pro-Taper Pillow Top MX Grips | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC)
The D606 is a great compromise tyre - doesn't do too bad on paved roads r dirt, though it's best on harder pack dirt. I'm not in a rush to compromise again though. I would advise getting yourself a set of dirt rims and road rims, then fit the appropriate tyre for each. For dirt it is hard to go past the Pirilli MX Extra rear/Pirelli Scorpion XC Mis Soft front combo. Brilliant for most terrain except hardpack/rocky conditions where you'll eat the tyres away quickly.

-Jet Kit
Dynojet kit for KLX300 (#2206) has the more aggressive needle and the same jets as the KLX250 kit. While jetting I would slap on a #38 pilot jet too (won't come in the kit, so order separately from the dealer) - no doubt someone will disagree with that, so make your own decision. If you plan on doing any for of water crossings I would advise getting some extra fuel line and a couple of Y connectors to do the carb breather line into the airbox mod.

-351 Big Bore Kit
Bill's Big Bore kit can be found here: page 4

Incidentally, he sells a modified Mikuni pumper carb (33mm bored out to 34mm and jetted appropriately) for the bike which would be a worthwhile investment if you're splashing out on your bike. You can go with a cheaper larger Mikuni (36mm?) or an FCR35 off eBay and play around with jetting yourself, but having been through the pain of doing this myself I can highly recommend paying the little extra for Bill's blood sweat and tears he spent in R&D to get the jetting right.

-Exhaust headers
The Aussie model KLX250 comes with the KLX300 header which is a larger diameter, so you could either get a KLX300 header or probably more advisably go for the FMF Powerbomb header. I believe there is also a Megabomb option though they aren't that common and it's quite a bit more costly. I would go the Powerbomb.

-Speedometer doesn't work, want to buy some sort of GPS speedometer unit and get some kind of mount for the handlebars
Trailtech make a speedo/gps combo but I can't tell you much about it and wouldn't get one myself. I have the Trailtech Vapor speedo and it's great - doesn't use the stock speedo gearing, it has a magnetic sensor which you put down near your brake disc and put a rare earth magnet there for it to sense. VERY easy. It also has a coolant temp sensor which is useful.

I would recommend a separate GPS anyway - like a a Garmin Dakota or Oregon. I have the Dakota and it is a strong easy to use unit that is very useful for more than just biking.

You can get an aluminium quick turn throttle at the same place as the tailight kit: Wheeling Cycle Supply - KLX250 Specials | Handlebars and Grips

-Service/Owner Manual for bike(would like to download it if its online somewhere

See above for getting an electric version. Otherwise look at Rocky Mountain ATV.

Other things I would recommend:
  • Radiator guards - I have Scorpion ones and they rock. Saved my rads a couple of times.
  • Steel braided brake lines - Certainly improve the feel of the brakes IMO
  • New handlebars - I got Renthal Twinwall CR High bend bars and they rock IMO. If you get fat bars like this you also need adapters
  • Springs - the stock springs on these bike are for tiny people. Get the right springs for your weight and riding style and you won't regret it.
  • Rim locks - To protect yourself from torn out valve stems get yourself. At a minimum get a 2.15 rear lock and some wheel/spoke weights to balance your wheel once it's installed.
  • Bash plate - especially if your going offroad
  • Iridium spark plug - lasts longer before fouling.
  • Hand guards - preferably the fully enclosed type that will protect the brake/clutch lever in a fall, and I would recommend triple clamp mounts rather than handlebar clamp mounts.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Good stuff. Here are my suggestions/opinions/links to try help out.

plastic is pretty beat up and looking to redo it with vinyl wrap.
Pfft, why bother - it's a dirt bike, its scars are what make it pretty

DRC Edge2 Tail light assembly - Wheeling Cycle Supply - KLX250 Specials | Electrical

K&N will breath better, but that's coz it is filtering less which may be fine in the city but not offroad. I have Twinair filters and rate them.

-Oil Filter
I've been using paper filters up to now - Tusk brand bought off Rocky Mountain ATV (Tusk First Line Oil Filter | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC) - but when I finish the batch of paper filters I have I will be going to a stainless steel filter. There are arguments for and against both types, but I have a stainless steel one in my other bike and it makes life easy. I believe the Moose ones are pretty decent: MOOSE STAINLESS STEEL OIL FILTER KAWASAKI KLX250 KLX300 (eBay item 270542593343 end time 30-Jun-11 12:58:37 AEST) : eBay Motors

-New handlebar grips
Pro Taper Pillow MX grips - simply the BEST! (Pro-Taper Pillow Top MX Grips | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC)
The D606 is a great compromise tyre - doesn't do too bad on paved roads r dirt, though it's best on harder pack dirt. I'm not in a rush to compromise again though. I would advise getting yourself a set of dirt rims and road rims, then fit the appropriate tyre for each. For dirt it is hard to go past the Pirilli MX Extra rear/Pirelli Scorpion XC Mis Soft front combo. Brilliant for most terrain except hardpack/rocky conditions where you'll eat the tyres away quickly.

-Jet Kit
Dynojet kit for KLX300 (#2206) has the more aggressive needle and the same jets as the KLX250 kit. While jetting I would slap on a #38 pilot jet too (won't come in the kit, so order separately from the dealer) - no doubt someone will disagree with that, so make your own decision. If you plan on doing any for of water crossings I would advise getting some extra fuel line and a couple of Y connectors to do the carb breather line into the airbox mod.

-351 Big Bore Kit
Bill's Big Bore kit can be found here: page 4

Incidentally, he sells a modified Mikuni pumper carb (33mm bored out to 34mm and jetted appropriately) for the bike which would be a worthwhile investment if you're splashing out on your bike. You can go with a cheaper larger Mikuni (36mm?) or an FCR35 off eBay and play around with jetting yourself, but having been through the pain of doing this myself I can highly recommend paying the little extra for Bill's blood sweat and tears he spent in R&D to get the jetting right.

-Exhaust headers
The Aussie model KLX250 comes with the KLX300 header which is a larger diameter, so you could either get a KLX300 header or probably more advisably go for the FMF Powerbomb header. I believe there is also a Megabomb option though they aren't that common and it's quite a bit more costly. I would go the Powerbomb.

Trailtech make a speedo/gps combo but I can't tell you much about it and wouldn't get one myself. I have the Trailtech Vapor speedo and it's great - doesn't use the stock speedo gearing, it has a magnetic sensor which you put down near your brake disc and put a rare earth magnet there for it to sense. VERY easy. It also has a coolant temp sensor which is useful.

I would recommend a separate GPS anyway - like a a Garmin Dakota or Oregon. I have the Dakota and it is a strong easy to use unit that is very useful for more than just biking.

You can get an aluminium quick turn throttle at the same place as the tailight kit: Wheeling Cycle Supply - KLX250 Specials | Handlebars and Grips

See above for getting an electric version. Otherwise look at Rocky Mountain ATV.

Other things I would recommend:
  • Radiator guards - I have Scorpion ones and they rock. Saved my rads a couple of times.
  • Steel braided brake lines - Certainly improve the feel of the brakes IMO
  • New handlebars - I got Renthal Twinwall CR High bend bars and they rock IMO. If you get fat bars like this you also need adapters
  • Springs - the stock springs on these bike are for tiny people. Get the right springs for your weight and riding style and you won't regret it.
  • Rim locks - To protect yourself from torn out valve stems get yourself. At a minimum get a 2.15 rear lock and some wheel/spoke weights to balance your wheel once it's installed.
  • Bash plate - especially if your going offroad
  • Iridium spark plug - lasts longer before fouling.
  • Hand guards - preferably the fully enclosed type that will protect the brake/clutch lever in a fall, and I would recommend triple clamp mounts rather than handlebar clamp mounts.
Is it just me, or are these two jet kits different?
Amazon.com: Dynojet Research Intake Performance Kit - Stage 1 2206: Automotive

Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - Page 3 - HMF Engineering Forums

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

The tutorial in the HMF forums does not use the Dynojet/FMF kit - he uses the stock needle (using washers as shims to raise the needle up) and OEM jets.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Im right behind you bro on my 2009 SF, it just cannot do the 75mph interstate speeds that are around the bay area, im hoping to do the same mods as you but with cams for sure, as i seem to stay about 5k when riding the bike anyways

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Just a few more parts left to go guys...I need to order a oil filter and would like to get a new sprocket for the front and rear. Wheres a good place for that stuff?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also, which part of the fender does that Edge tail light assembly replace? Just curious because I broke the part that my tail light connects too. Not the black part, but the actual fender portion that sits under the rack.