need input quick please

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default need input quick please

my question is how many km's/miles is to much for a thumper? I am considering trading my cbr for a supermoto. the bike has 15k on it. is that nothing for a thumper or is it about due for a rebuild?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Depends on which supermoto your looking at and how well it was maintained.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't really want to say as this is a kawi forum and the bike is a 2006 Suzuki DR-Z 400 supermoto. the bike looks like it has been kept in good shape. I was wondering more about the average life of a thumper. If know one want's to talk to me now I understand.lol

Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

How well it has been maintained would be the key. 15k from someone that took good care of it would not be a problem. But a bike with 1k from someone who thrashed it I would steer clear of. The hard part is telling which is which because no matter what, the seller will tell you it is in great condition.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
How well it has been maintained would be the key. 15k from someone that took good care of it would not be a problem. But a bike with 1k from someone who thrashed it I would steer clear of. The hard part is telling which is which because no matter what, the seller will tell you it is in great condition.
+1. There are still airplanes dating to the 30's-40's flying around because they have been meticulously maintained. Why should that be different for a thumper? You haven't told us the full story on the CBR, year, riding conditions, other factors. But if it has been maintained I'll bet the is still a lot of life left there.

Sounds to me like you really want the Suzi and are looking for a plausible way to banish the CBR for cause. Not so fast. You want mo betta go fast dirt bike by all means go get it, but just don't use the CBR's 15K miles as your reason.

Heck, keep 'em all.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Maintenance is the key. But, how will you know? Unless, you know the seller personally.
If I had put the 15,000 K on it I would feel secure. But, I am adimant on maintenance.

Last edited by eeore39648; 07-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Sounds to me like you really want the Suzi and are looking for a plausible way to banish the CBR for cause. Not so fast. You want mo betta go fast dirt bike by all means go get it, but just don't use the CBR's 15K miles as your reason.
I think the zuki was the one with 15K on it, thus why he is asking if 15k is to much for a thumper.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
I think the zuki was the one with 15K on it, thus why he is asking if 15k is to much for a thumper.
Ya that's the way it reads to me. Just guessing I'd say the thumper is about half used up. As mentioned, it really depends on the bikes use and maintenance. Have you searched around on any DRZ forums to see what others are getting out of that specific model?
Whats your CBR worth? Almost sounds like the other guy might be getting the better deal by taking the CBR?
Good luck, and don't be afraid to post it up if you add a Suzuki to the stable. Looks like you still have the KLX, you could give us a good comparison report of the two if you go that way.
Dan

Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guy's. I still have my cbr. the reason I asked was because he said he was the 4th owner of it. the bike was a 2006. turns out he was the fifth owner and his 15k estimate was off buy over 2k. the chain was done and he had it extra loose to cover up any ticking in the motor.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmadman
thanks guy's. I still have my cbr. the reason I asked was because he said he was the 4th owner of it. the bike was a 2006. turns out he was the fifth owner and his 15k estimate was off buy over 2k. the chain was done and he had it extra loose to cover up any ticking in the motor.
Wow!! I'm assuming you walked

Quick Reply: need input quick please